Home

Legal Issues

TamoraMagellan

I have a question for you out there...

About a year ago or a little less, I wrote to Lucas Arts asking the possibilities of creating a Star Wars Mod or TC for whatever kinda game (In this case Q3). They told me that there was a negotiation going on between Lucas Arts and someone about the the legal matters and they were hoping that they could get this through so all modders out there were allowed to create mods and TC's for their favourite games.

Now,, I haven't heard any official announcements about this lately but I was wondering since Raven Soft has released Jedi Oucast for such an easy modified engine as Quake 3 Team Arena, and since I've heard that they will release an SDK for the game, if we actually are allowed now to do mods, for not just for Jedi Outcast but for other games, say Unreal Tournament 2003?

Some friends and I will, (We are serious and we have a talented crew) if we are allowed that is, create a mod for the Quake 3 TA engine where we will aim at our view of Star Wars multiplaying, that is, a very action-paced multiplayer experience for like (cliché) Counter-Strike ;). Where the randomness of the weapons, like the Imperial Blaster Rifle which shoots in a cone area and doesn't even have accuracy at the first shot, will be removed. Every shot will count and the acccuracy will decrease the more you fire (Hope I make any sense). This is of course not the only thing in the TC ;), and what we want to bring the public is a team based muliplayer experience picturing battles between the Empire and the Rebels,, Stormtroopers and Forces of the Alliance.

/Thanx for your time

Jim from the <Mechanical Eye> Crew.

If you have any questons about the mod, or would like to join us then contact me on my ICQ:112281942...

First off: READ YOUR EULA. This is the binding contract between you and Lucasarts, Activision, and Raven. It will determine whether you are allowed to make mods or not.

The RTCW EULA permits users to make modifications to the game, so long as they only work with the full version of the game and so long as they are not released for the author's commercial gain.

Legally speaking, any mod you make constitutes a derivative work under copyright law and, unless the copyright holder gives you permission, you will be an infringer if you make a mod. That's why the EULA is so important. I'll have to look over JK2's EULA again, but I'm pretty sure they have some clause in there which permits you to mod.

DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE OPINIONS ARE JUST THAT: OPINIONS. I AM NOT A LAWYER. I AM NOT ADMITTED TO ANY STATE OR FEDERAL BAR. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED BY MY WRITING OR YOU READING THIS POST. IF YOU CHOOSE TO FOLLOW THE OPINION HEREIN, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Archived