Home

Serious MP Performance bug

Emon

I've noticed that when hosting my own game, and when there is no one joined in, my MP framerate is excellent. In the Nar Shaddaa Streets level, when hosting, my framerate never drops below 60, and usually is around 90 in most places.

However, once I join another game, my peformance drops! It goes down to as low as 30-40 in some places. Now your probably thinking that it's because of the other players on the screen... Well I thought that too, until I realized that even with NO ONE else being displayed on the screen, my framerate was still at 30-40 in some places!

Please tell me this is fixable, and not a problem with OpenGL's drain on the CPU, in which case the network traffic would slow down the rendering...

Raven input would be greatly appreciated on this topic.

Well.. I can noticed a huge diff between 25 and 75... So I understand why he is complaining.

(The following is a response based on what I *think* I know, correct me if I'm wrong please)

Emon, the framerate lag is caused by the way the quake engine renders things. When you are looking at a scene, it will render everything possible, that includes the multiplayer people in the game. Person behind a wall? Sure, rendered too. What happens then is the things you cannot see are removed from your view, and then the final image is placed on the monitor. That means that even though you can't *see* those 5 other people running around, the computer is still processing them. And since character models have a higher poly count, this is why you are seeing slowdown.

This is what I can tell you based on what I think I know of the quake engine. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Mavital

Archived