Home

Need help with dueling real people

Demolisher

Hi everyone :cool:. Ok, first let me say that I came from Heretic II and expected JK2 to be somewhat similar. I was fairly good at dueling there for a while. Now with JK2, I can be most reborn and can beat most Jedi Master skill multiplayer bots. But when I get on a duel server, preferably a no force server, I get my ass kicked :snear:. I stick to medium stance and straffe & swing a lot, but no luck. Any tips? I mean, I move a lot and get a few hits, but no luck. I wish the bots were better. Note, I have a hard time beating Desann and Tavion on padawan skill, so that might say a lot about me :rolleyes:

:lsduel:

I often find that a common trap players fall into is using Medium stance exclusively. Part of the ability to succeed in dueling includes being able to effectively switch stances while dueling.

I always start off with Strong - if the person is not to bright or has a moment of weakness, then they are dead. If I realize that I'm hitting nothing but air, I switch to medium. A good way to get hits is strike them after they take a swing. Doing a sideways slash attack in different directions and chaining combos with it also works well.

If the person is just being plain annoying, then I try and hack and slash at them with Fast Style, then get close enough to do a flip kick, and slash downward with Medium or Strong.

Sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time. The first time I played this game, I tried playing bots on Padawan level and got my ass whooped. Then I played against people for 3 days, watching how they fought and learning, and then I came back and regulated on Jedi Master bots. Just keep at it, and the only thing left to happen will be for you to get better.

I suggest you utilise force powers more.

If you have an intellieye explorer, like me, set the big thumb button to Push, and the little to Pull. That means that you can use it at any time, because it is accessible.

When the opponent just lands, or has their back turned, push them. If you knock them over, switch to heavy and smash them while they're lying on the ground.

Versing Tavion is easy. I managed to push her in the abyss, but no luck. She jumped back up :(

To kill her easily, use push while she is using grip, or while in a saber lock. Then hack at her. I haven't versed Desann yet, but I'd say the same tricks apply to him.

Also, I don't even use lightning. Does anyone else?

Retaliator

Sweet, sweet stances. Note that jumping/rolling can somewhat confuse the opponent, if they aren't expecting it. Come off as intimidating on those duel servers and they'll be careful...

...that's when I Pull them in and kill. Or go ahead and kick them if you must.

:)

- Twitch

yep i gots an intellipoint optical, and the two buttons on either side are great for push pull, and i mainly dont use them for making people fall down, unless someine is dumb enough to jump high when im right there. but i use them to steal guns and knock people over for the big heavy stance swing. :D

if im gonna kill somone by fall, i use grip.

Just play smart and learn from your mistakes. Use all the stances, but know which one to use at which time. I see a lot of guys switching to heavy stance when they have very little hp left (5hp or something) just because they think that thats their only chance to win...and yeah sometimes you'll get lucky, but mostly that'll get you killed all the more easily. And that goes to another point too, know if you've hit the other person and try to figure out how much hp they have left...if they have only 25 its kinda a waste to switch to heavy when you can just finish them off with the light stance. Use a combo of moves, be unpredictable, if one attack isnt working retreat away (roll away or backflip) and then wait for another opening or another chance to attack. If the attack is working then keep the pressure on them, but dont get too cocky, they might pull a deadly heavy front slash, a light stab or a med overhead flip head slash, etc. All this stuff ive learned from FAQ, but mainly just from experiences. Personally i think beating Jedi Master bots are good for practice, but the real experiences will be gained from playing in servers vs great opponents that are probably way better than any bot out there.

part of what i've going to say has been said but nto a quite the same angle

always be switching stances when you need to, i find that surprising your opponent when you smoke them with the (almost) one hit kill on heavy stance from using medium as they won't expect it

my main tip is: don't be predictable, don't swing when they're not near as then they'll just use saber throw, and adapt to the situation......if your in duel you may lose the first fight but learn the players style and adapt to it......and most importantly, practice....the more you play, the better you'll get

Archived