Home

Newbie question: lightsabers

ER1

I just started playing, and i must say that this game is GREAT and well worth the price :)

however, everytime i play the multiplayer mode (single player is too puzzle based for me) i get myself smashed every 1v1 or actually, everytime i attack someone with a lightsaber.

While reading thsi forum i read about all sorts of funny moves/modes you can do with your saber, but i don't know how to do that =(

All i do is charge the guy and start chopping (and it goes in all sorts of weird directions too, hard to control) and sometimes i hit the guy, he dies, but most of the time, i am usually blocked, etc, etc, and the guy slices me up in one hit.

now...how do i actually use that lightsaber probably. I asked my friends and they tell me to use guns, but i don't want to because i am a big Star Wars fan =P

someone help please?

I'd say experiment with the different saber stances. Attack while moving in different directions to see what swings you like best. The popular choice from what I've seen is heavy stance since it's 1-2 hit kills, but it takes some practise to get the timing down. Medium stance is pretty good since you can easily get in a fast strike. In a game where most people use heavy, you may be able to to dodge their slow attacks and land a couple of your own on medium. Fast is too weak, I wouldn't even bother. Check your manual on how to perform some of the special saber attacks. The special attack for heavy stance requires for you to wait halfway through your swing (pretty much any swing) or so before pushing forward and jump.

I hope this helps.

Well running in and spinning around is suicide when your up against somebody that has a bit of patience. You gotta wait for an opening to occur then go for it. All the guy has to do to stop your crazy swinging for the most part is just stand and face you, then he'll block the majority of your swings. While you're swinging like mad, you don't have any defence. So find some swings you like and practice some combos then show a little patience in the battlefield and wait for some openings. I just dueled with my friend for a couple of hours when we first got the game to find out what strategy suited me best.

I too have been having problems using the light sabre. Im not sure if Im any help, but I do feel your pain. I feel like to movments are inconsistant, but know they obviously work for others. I too wish I knew how to control the sabre, I push attack and to the side and it does nothing 4 out of 5 times. the 5th time it will make a different attack so if anyone knows a good training method or somthing that can assist on the learning of becomming a truly good jedi, lemme know

If I were you, I'd start a multiplayer game with only one (easy, or at least at first) bot without force powers, and put it on saber only.

And practice, practice, practice. Read throught the movements and try them out. I know this sounds obvious, but it worked for me. :)

G0b

I agree 100% with GOb. Practicing against bots greatly improved my skills. I have fought Master Luke more times than I (or my girlfriend) care to count. Start out on Initiate and work your way up to Jedi Master (no force powers). The way I do it is if I can beat him 10 times before he can beat me 5 times, I'd increase the difficulty. I'm now able to do that on Jedi Knight and I'm moving up to Jedi Master. Once I can do that I'll throw in the Force.

This has greatly improved my kill rate online (and my confidence). Here are some of the things I've learned while doing this that have helped immensely.

1. Like IBFukn says, besides He Be Fukn, is that patience is a virtue. Charging in is one of the worst things you can do. When you are swingin', you aren't defendin', and that makes you vulnerable. This goes for your opponent as well. If you can wait until your enemy has almost finished his swing before you attack, they are defenceless and you are likely to score a hit.

2. Attack and retreat. This sort of goes with point 1. I find that when the bad guy makes a swing and follows through, I move in for my attack, and then back away. I almost never press my luck to get two chops in (unless it is a medium stance spin move). To encourage them to swing at me, I often make a move towards them and then back away. This can sometimes entice them to swip at me, allowing me to attack again.

3. Strafe swings are your friend. I used to attack straight on and end up doing forward chops, and this got me very little. Usually your opponent's saber is always facing you, so you need to get around that. By strafing, you can sometimes get a shot in from the side.

4. Always try to face your opponent. If you ain't facing him, you ain't defending against him, and that probably means he's getting clean shots.

5. Don't press a bad situation. Don't be afraid to withdraw for a second and regroup if you are at a disadvantage. I don't mean run away, I mean get some space between you and start again. If you lose sight of your adversary, jump away and then turn and find him again. When I am fighting the Luke bot while practicing, sometimes I find I have to flip backwards when he is running at me with a big swing.

Anyway, this is a bit long winded, but hopefully it will give you a few ideas. Experimenting is the most important thing to find out what works for you. And don't get discouraged, even Luke took years to become a master! Also, I'd be intereseted to hear other peoples opinions on the above strategies. I'm still learning too!

Cheers :D

DISCLAIMER: This post contains opinion(s) of the author. If you do not care to read said opinion(s), kindly disregard this post. :)

Load up Single Player JK2 and pull down the console with Shift+~

Type in "map pit"

You'll see that Tavion is there waiting to duel you - go practice on her.

While Single Player Saber combat is not quite the same as Multi - This is a good way to get some basic ideas of how to duel an aggressive opponent.

CRCError

This also might help with whoever feels the saber swing is erratic.

Wait for the swing to finish before you start a new one. This is especially true if you are using a heavy stance. You wind up, swing, then wait for your saber to recover after the swing, if you try to attack before it is up all the way it wont swing because the saber is not at the ready.

Watch where the blade goes not the crosshairs. The blade is what hits, you want the blade to pass through your opponent when the swing occurs.

I found it much easier to understand the saber on heavy stance. The swings are slow and exadurated so you can see where the blade is going.

Start the swing before you move to attack. In heavy, if you want to use a left sweep with your saber, strafe right and attack when your saber is at the ready, your swing will start. Move forward and try to pass by the target on the right, your saber will be swinging out to your left. If you timed it right, there will be one less jedi for you to deal with. If you missed get out of the way and wait for your saber to recover.

On medium the swings are almost the same, except quicker and shorter ranged. Try the same thing on medium, you just have to be quicker, move right and attack, move forward adn try to slice the saber through them.

A straight on hit will miss most of the time. Start the swing and try to pass by and twist it onto them on their sides so it will land.

As was said before, patience is your ally. Wait for your saber to recover before starting a new attack, make sure when you swing you are going to hit someone. If you arent you leave yourself vunerable and are just looking to get killed. Attack only when there is a chance to hit.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Sundevil

Archived