Home

SDK in May

Midnightghoul

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Now now now! about 30 days isn't too long, though...

Though you know developer's, with the expierience I've had with everquest things they *say* are like a month later than normal. sigh. I guess we should just standby that saying "good things come to those who wait..."

So I can sit here and twiddle my thumbs at my computer, looking at all these drab, dreary skins getting older and older and older... wielding these same 5 colored saber's, using these same getting-old-much-too-fast maps and game types. La la la la laaa.

It does give time for everyone to perfect their maps, models, and etc I suppose.

Sorry if I don't believe you, but I don't believe you. :) Nothing against you, it's just that over the years I've gotten to where I refuse to believe anything like this unless there is an official press release-ish thingy saying yay or nay.

If somebody from Raven doesn't come out and say it's true, then it isn't true in my book.

Ok... my experience with this sort of stuff tells me that they have built their own tools.

They want to release the SDK so people can add/change features of the game. But tyhey dont want to release anything that has to do with the source code. I know the Q3 engine is open for licensing but they probably changed some stuff as allowed by the licensing and THAT they dont wish to share right now... which is understandable and perfectly acceptable.

Games like Vampire The Masquerade have never released their source code as far as I know..and I should know since I modded with WodMod. Vampire too was from Activision.

As someone said earlier, the tools are probably not user friendly either. So they are preparing a version of the tools that doesnt have anything they dont want us to have and that's prepared to import/export stuff from and to other softwares already available such as 3DS Max, GMax and Milkshape.

Other than that there's always a commercial interest. Raven has to abide by certain laws regarding it's partnerships or they may get into trouble.

I hope I'm not talking rubbish or anything... but that's what i think it may be happening.

They have to prepare the software good to abide all those topics:

*User Friendly

*Functional Import/Export Tools

*Law Abiding Features

In their place... I'd probably do the same.

Oter than that it's always better for Raven's image, modders accesibility and players satisfaction to have good functional and bug free tools to produce better mods.

Personally I encorage them to take their time and provide us with superior quality tools.

I hope my assumptions are correct and that im not putting words in anyone's mouths. If I am wrong then I withdraw my conclusions. It simply seems fairly obvious that something like this describes the current situation.

Either way.. just be patient and like someone said... good things come to those who wait.

Be seeing you guyz.

The Toold WILL be released no doubt about it... but it has some of the complications.

The source code if it's released it's probably gonna take a very long time. But you only need the source code if you wanted to make dramatic changes to the game....dramatic enough to make a new game based on their progamming.

More than enough changes will be possible without the source code for now. And like I said..those tools WILL be released no doubt. So dont worry.. Just be patient.

I have to admit, I'm a huge Star Wars fan. But, I feel I'm in the majority if I say, I also have a very short attention span. The longer it takes to release the tools to make mods, the more people I feel will be less likely to be around to use them. I buy games all the time, never finish some, and rarely go back to play ones I have finished.

I don't know how most of you feel, but I am getting sick of playing Team FFA in the Death Star, Bespin and Star Destroyer. It was a blast the first hundred times, but variety certainly helps keep my interest. I don't want Raven to release a buggy SDK or something so totally complex that few of us could use it. Like I said though, my fear is, the longer it takes, the less people will care about making mods/levels/skins/etc. I just feel you have to release the SDK in a timely manner as to keep people addicted to the game.

Just my 2 cents!

Raven are by far one of the best of the software developers for releasing code / maps and all the trimmings.

I have spent a lot of time over on the Elite Force boards people are churning out some spectacular work, (Unikorn, USS Speed & Wolf359) spring to mind. This has been greatly due to Raven listening to 'the voice of the people' and releasing the items people want.

They might not release everything at once, but when you consider that Elite Force is almost 2 years old and the Mapping / Mod community is still growing, it's a testament to Raven.

So as the saying goes....If You Wait, They Will Come.

(P.s. If I'm rambling, it's due to being swung about like a limp rag by those pesky shadow troopers!! )

OK, what kind of an SDK?

SDK used to be the source code and mod tools, and not just the level editor.

The MOH and Wolfenstein SDKs had only the level editor.

Please don't tell me all that is going to be out in a month are the level editing tools. That's ****ed up. And not clever. I already have a map finished (made with GTK Radiant).

Why don't they simply release a bsp converter that can convert Quake III maps to JO ( a converter that has been finished for a long time)?

Bah.

some of you may know this, those of you who read Bloodriot's boba fett model thread, but i have been corresponding with Mike Gummelt for a couple of weeks now, and he offered to take a model i made in Max (a boba fett model) and see what could be done with it. it was as much an experiment for their current sdk as it was a hope that id have a mandalorian model to skin.

im sad to say that it did not work out. currently, with the sdk in the condition its in atm, it is far too difficult to anchor pre-created models to the Raven skeleton. it can be done, but was hard enough to the point where their animators didnt have the time to spend on such a project.

now obviously they have work to do, post release stuff etc, so thats a given. that it takes an experienced animator that long to get this working, then its still too rough around the edges to release to the general public.

he assured me the tools will be out soon, so we'll just have to be patient.

Archived