Home

Digitizer Tablets?

Absath

Ok this question goes out to other skinners and even modelers as well. Ive been drawing for my entire life, mostly comic book style art, stylized anime etc. so obviously im never more comfortable creating art then with a pen in my hand. my question is this: should i consider getting a digitized tablet?

i mean, i know that i want one. if i can do fairly good work with a mouse, i can do amazing work with a pen. but im looking for someone who knows from experience....is it worth it? do they work that well? and will it work for modeling? i feel that as far as manipulating vertices, i would feel more comfortwith a pen style tool than the mouse.

if i buy one, it wont be one of those cheap little 5x5 ones...id go for one of the 12x12, 12x18 pressure sensitive tablets that will co-exist with my mouse. does anyone on these boards use a digitzed tablet? and would you recommend it to somone with a traditional pencil and ink art background?

-Abs

ive got an older wacom board. i cant imagine not having it. i've been using it for years. it gets much more realistic colouring etc. for skins and such. verts are nice too. i dunno about modelling because my tablet is on my mac and i model on my PC.

go buy one now. no, now. stop reading this, get in your car and go get one.

-Tems

go.

[edit: verts meaning vector graphics. not models. sorry. now you can go.]

I have a 12x12 wacom and honestly I could never work without a tablet again, although 12x12 is a bit bigger than you think, you may want something smaller, it is kinda cumbersome.

Great tool though. Look for one of the slightly older wacom's that are serial only, no usb, I think theya re discontinued although they are the same other than not having usb, you should be able to find one much much cheaper than the usb version and the serial one still has 1024 points of pressure, works w/ the airbrush and 4d mouse etc..

As for modelling with it, no way. Not with just the pen, if you had the 4d mouse + the pen, that might come in handy for painting in 3d if you use bodypaint3d or deeppaint3d for texturing, but for building meshes I think it'd work against you in most situations.

i just started using the wacom pen and it is so much incredibly easier for using in photoshop

far more detail can be had from it IMO and i generally prefer using the pen as using the mouse for extended periods can really hurt my wrist. I have the graphire 2, it was $160 cDN after tax, i believe its around $99 US. That one is readily available, and it is USB, tablet size is around 4x5 in.

for 3d, the pen isn't nearly as useful to me, and the mouse is still my best friend for that

heheh

ok you guys have been massivly helpful...to the point where im about to either go see what the retail stores carry, or order one online...the fact that the mouse is still easier for modeling doesnt bother me...because i learned to manipulate models with a mouse. but i learned to draw long before i every touched a computer, so im still waaaay better at art with a pen/pencil.

moore, you mentioned that the 12x12 is a bit large and cumbersome...you're right that i dont know what im really looking for, size-wise, because i havent used one of these. my first instinct is to have as much free space as i can get with it...i may try one of the smaller versions and see how i like it.

thanks for the help guys :D

well tems, hehe i went out to look for one, but none of the stores around here carried them. so im going to order one this evening, most likely a Wacom Graphire, since from everything ive read its the best model to get. so until it arrives, ill just have to entertain myself with Spiderman for the PC, which i just picked up ;)

Ok you've got my interested in what these things do, so I have some quick questions. Is it really much easier to create a detailed, professional looking skin with these, then a mouse? (As if it isn't obvious.) And also, is practically just like drawing on paper with a pencil or so? Thanks :jawa

its like a corss between drawking on paper and airbrushing. the effects are often similar to an airbrush as far as control and such. if you have steady hands, then yes id say its better. mostly for organic strokes etc.

Absath: graphires are nice.

-Tems

i just wanted to thank tems, moore and sithlord for their help. ive just ordered myself a wacom tablet (and somehow a new GeForce4 Ti 4600 slipped in there....damn this infernal credit card!) and should recieve it next week. ill let you guys know how it turns out. thanks again ;)

Archived