Home

Skinning

Apalos

speaking totally in general for q3 based games:

you need a model viewer (sticky thread in here)

you need a text editor of choice for editing the .skin files (which are actually txt files - they tell the engine which skin file you want to be applied where)

you need a tool cpable of packing and unpacking .zip files. use it to access the .pk3 files. they are just zips...

and finally, you need the paint package of your choice. photoshop is great, but there are also people out there skining with paint shop pro, the gimp, even painter.

oh and: you need a bit of experience :)

hope that helped

check out

http://www.polycountcom/cottages/qbranch for the tutorials section.

Making a new player model is an impossibilty at this point. Raven has not released an exporter/converter for the .glm format.

.skin files are simply text files that point to the images that compose the skin. You can edit them in Notepad.

I'll tell you what... I just started skinning (my skins suck, of course) but I'll tell you that Pakscape makes the job SO MUCH EASIER!!! You can pick it up at http://www.gamesdomain.com/multiplayer/pages/356.html

I've been using photoshop 4.0, but it's quite dinosauric... I can't afford to upgrade...

I use notebook for the textfiles... just rename it to use a different extention...

Finally, for finding textures, I've been using real ones from the internet... Hair comes from salons that are advertising online... snow from Aspen... etc.

Some files are ones that you don't want to edit and don't need to go into your pk3. To get your file to work right, all you need are these files:

animsounds.cfg

model.glm

model_default.skin

sounds.cfg

icon_default

Be sure to throw some textures in too... (haha)

The only ones you NEED to edit is the model_default

Past that, you can edit sounds.cfg

You can also include:

model_blue with icon_blue

model_red with icon_red

If you need any more advice from a newbie who knows where your coming from, email me at sights0d@yahoo.com

Just to get you started, you might want to go into assets0 or assets1 in the gamefiles/base folder in JKO and lasso all of the files relating to the character that you want to alter... pull them to a folder on your desktop and then start painting them over.

I like the Chiss model best. I started working off of the Kyle one, but getting rid of that beard is impossible! The moustache will show up no matter what you do.

While I'm about it, I'll just tell you that the model viewer from sof2 (solder of fortune 2 [there's a link to it somewhere in the recent news on jediknightii.net]) works great once you get it working. I sometimes have to restart my computer to accept some of the changes in my .skin file, but unless you want to take a long time making and then checking minute changes to your textures, that texture refresh is a life saver! before using it I was going into the multiplayer game, checking the skin, then quitting, then editing the texture, then restarting the game... etc...

Evil: I'm assuming that you're new to photoshop...

I don't know what version you have, but on 4.0, there's a box on your main set of tools that by default has a black square cornered on a white square... the top one (default is black) is the colour your painting with. The one on the bottom (default white) is the background. You get the background colour when you erase.

Also, be sure to remember that the alt key and the shift key have STRANGE POWERS!!! Like the eyedropper (can be used to sample or match a colour) and when used with the wand or boxer, can add or delete selected sections of an area.

WELL WHAT THE HECK IS AN ALPHA TRANSPARENCY ALREADY!!!?

Sorry for yelling... I love finding out that I don't know jack...

In order to make invisible textures, I've been pointing the .skin file to illigitimate resources... but it only works in some contexts...

How do you get an alpha transparency to work... and is that a photoshop property?

I appreciate you mentioning it.

yea i know how to change the colour but im sure there is a feature to change colour depths like say you have an area

this area is red on this area is dark red standard red and light red all mixed together (a tpye of skin effect say) now there is a feature in psp someone mentioned on the threads about beeing able to change all the red to blue without having to redo all the images' colours depths

as once you use this function the darkred will become dark blue

the red willbecome blue

and the light red will become light blue

i really wann knwo what this function is as i really need it it will save ALOT of time

thnx:)

i accidently made an invisible skin, with only eyes mouth and hands showing, i uploaded it to jediknight files email adress, and yes i know how use photo, im taking real pictures and trying to match them up with a BOND skin i downloaded, since i dunno how to make skelatons , and dont know of any editors for such, i have the SOF viewer, and just got it to work, its great, such a releif! try it, its in this forum at the top where the guy gives all the links, the program is called "ModView version 1.0" , anyways, im gonna keep messing around untill i get the hang of this, thanks guys

Archived