Home

Tone down absorb!!!

Monnnster

I consider very few things in this game cheap, since everything has a counter. However, there are things that are just cheap no matter how you look at them. For instance, I was playing on a sabers only Jedi Adept server where basically all you could put points into was sabers. However, there was one loser who put points into grip instead, obviously assuming no one could counter him. He was right, except for he always got killed by someone else why he stood there gripping (gripping isn't the most effective way of killing someone, unless you're throwing them off a ledge). Needless to say, it was cheap, but only annoying, not powerful, since the guy was pretty stupid.

I did see something else on a regular FFA server that I consider pretty cheap, and unrealistic. All this guy would do is grab a big gun, then put on absorb so you couldn't pull the gun from him. Why the hell would absorb prevent a gun from being pulled away from you? Force is not supposed to effect YOU while it's on, not an area AROUND you, so why does this prevent the gun from being pulled? This needs to be fixed! Push is not a good enough counter to this either.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we're at it, I think we should be able to pull the lightsaber out of someone's hand, after all it's just a weapon like everything else.

Seriously though, it's because the force pull isn't working at all that you don't get the gun. Also Force Absorb is the light sides major defense against 80% of the crap that the Dark Side has, specifically Grip.

What in the world are you suggesting? For a light-sider, absorb is my only hope against Grip Monkeys and Force Drainers.

Without absorb at where it is, I don't stand a chance against Dark Jedi. It's fine the way it is.

Plus Absorb runs out pretty quickly. So maybe you should consider backing off from the gunner for a while till he is a sitting duck without force power.

What in the world are you suggesting? For a light-sider, absorb is my only hope against Grip Monkeys and Force Drainers.

Umm, ok...nothing will change with that.

Without absorb at where it is, I don't stand a chance against Dark Jedi. It's fine the way it is.

Pull is a neutral power, and it won't affect YOU, just your gun.

Plus Absorb runs out pretty quickly. So maybe you should consider backing off from the gunner for a while till he is a sitting duck without force power.

This guy won games only because his gun couldn't get pulled. Anytime he didn't have a gun or didn't have absorb, he was owned! So tell me how you "back off" from a gunner. Guns shoot far. This is a simple physics lesson, free of charge.

I tell you what, you try and use a grip on me while I have absorb up, and while technically it might not be "stopping" I'd like to see you describe exactly what happens to you with your grip.

The same thing that happens when I try to use grip on any invalid target: nothing. However, I can still shoot lightning, pull, push, drain, whatever, and it still happens. When did I say anything about using grip anyway?

Yes, I agree with your "limited experience" statement.

Well, since it appears simple logic escapes many members of this message board, I'll need to post this somewhere where I can receive a response that requires some form of thought.

Originally posted by Uncle Meat

From my limited experience, I've noticed that when someone is shooting at me with a gun, one excellent course of action is to pick up a different gun and shoot back at them. I realize you may have overlooked that option.

Just a thought.

Think absorb+gun vs. protection+gun.

Pull is not a neutral power. You try telling Pull is neutral to those Heavy Stance one hit guys. As soon as they go in motion, pull them and put them on their ass. Ready for your saber to strike down.

So Pull / Push are not neutral powers. And I have no problem having Absorb protect those.

Originally posted by Indreju

Also Force Absorb is the light sides major defense against 80% of the crap that the Dark Side has, specifically Grip.

dark side = crap? pfft.

I play Light myself a hole lot and id say this, dark side is NOT crap, dark side is way to powerfull , i think drain should be a heal and not a force drainer. Like Light have heal , dark side could have a heal instead of force drain:confused:

Once your drained and they get a good grip on you, no absorb can save you ( no force left from drain ) , puff strong hit got yer;)

Tho i like Light better then Dark myself, but there is nothing worse then dueling a Drain abuser ( i call them drain abuser because they use drain for more then just heal ):D

Then again, when i do play Dark i can see the idea about drain and i think its cheap but a good way to beat the other Jedi.

:jawa

I consider very few things in this game cheap, since everything has a counter.

not only does everything have a counter, but in most cases, i've found that everything has more than one counter. trying using force speed, mind trick or dark rage instead of whining "please change dynamics of game!!!!!". k thx bye.

There's already an imbalance in the force with darkside players outnumbering the lightside (I should know, I'm one of those damned dark sith). Keep absorb. I don't mind resorting to old fashioned sabre-play when I can't drop opponents off ledges.

lol, have drain only heal not force drain? Do you realize Drain is the major counter Dark siders have? Do you also realize how stupid it would be for osmeone to suggest Absorb only gain force power but you still take damage from the force power being used against you? heh.

I think pull still work on guys with absorb but only in certain situation. I play in a saber only CTF server and many flag takers use absorb to avoid gripping, lightning and draining. Tactically correct as many flag protectors are Sith and many Sith enemies die before they can barely touch the flag even using speed. I know this trick of Jedi and only use pull to stop them. Push almost doesn't work on them but pull still slow them down to quite a great extent when they are running away from you. Don't pull them face to face but only face to back.

Ok, once again, to clarify: all I said is you should be able to yank guns. PERIOD. That's the ONLY change I was talking about. I never said to take away absorb. I never said to change how absorb protects in any way. I'm trying to pull away the thing you're HOLDING, NOT YOU. Why would absorb protect that? Do you have a super grip now? You should be able to climb walls with absorb on then!

For simplicity sake, let's pretend. I love pretending.

Let's pretend that the absorb force power creates this small shell around you (indicated by a small blue shell created around your player).

Now let's pretend that the shell encompasses your weapon.

Now you may lift this horrible burden in your mind that is filled with wondering and proceed to playing the game again... The game in which everything is pretend.

Let's play some more pretend. Let's pretend you're as smart as you think you are.

While playing a pretend game, do you feel pretend emotions? Is it pretend fun? The only thing pretend about the game is that you're really not a jedi running around killing people. However, I find everything about the game realistic within the context of the game except for the way absorb works. BTW, does absorb make your weapons blue? No? I guess pretend time is over. Can we get a valid response here?

The only valid response is that the game designers intended it that way. Their logic was probably that absorb is supposed to stop all force use against the player using it, and pull is a force power.

I guess one could argue that the pull force would have to pull harder than the grip the person has on the gun, unless the force power also causes their fingers to release their weapon ... but that would be a stupid argument. I agree that it would be cool if force pull could still pull weapons from absorb-enabled players, and if it could pull weapons and other objects towards you with a targeting system not unlike the last game, but that's just me. Personally, I don't see it happening outside a mod.

See? Thinking is a good thing to employ once in a while. A nice, well spoken, valid response. And not a trace of self-righteous sarcasm to boot!

However, I disagree with this statement:

Personally, I don't see it happening outside a mod.

Gameplay elements often change with patches, so I wouldn't rule out any possibility. I wouldn't even rule out the possibility of drain being nerfed, even though I'm against it.

Ah, but self-righteous sarcasm is so good! Especially when it's justified by self-righteous posts about why a particular pet peeve someone doesn't like should be taken out of the game.

I've yet to have a single problem with someone using absorb to protect themselves from having their weapon taken out of their hands, or for that matter find a single weapon that isn't completely counterable through other force powers if you're good enough.

Absorb is just fine the way it is, the same as Drain. If Raven were to spend any time editing game dynamics through patches, I would greatly appreciate it if they would add more differences to the Saber styles and attacks though.

And remember, intelligence != what you want to hear.

Hmm. Let's see what you had to post about my topic.

Seriously though, it's because the force pull isn't working at all that you don't get the gun. Also Force Absorb is the light sides major defense against 80% of the crap that the Dark Side has, specifically Grip.

Absorb, of course, does not prevent someone from using force powers. Just force powers on YOU. Also, I didn't mention anything about absorb stopping dark side powers, I merely thought that pull (a NEUTRAL POWER) should pull a gun. How does that relate to the dark side in any way? How is my post "self righteous"? And how did Kuroshi say what I wanted to hear? I thought his post was intelligent.

And how is it balanced in any way when an idiot is able to spam alt fire into crowds with reckless abandon and the only counter is to shoot back or run away? That's not a counter, that's Quake. And in Quake, half the server doesn't run around armed with only a knife.

I have to agree that absorb needs to be toned down as does drain. Both these skills are a must for either side jedi, which shouldnt be the case. Maybe have absorb work on drain and only on non-neutral powers.

Archived