Home

Refresh rates

c_i_wood

Does anyone know how to manually change the refresh frequency in JKII? My Creative Geforce 4 MX440 switches to 60Hz on all the screen resolutions that I use (e.g. 1024x768). My Windows XP desktop is set to this resolution but is running at 75Hz. The 60Hz refresh in the game is nasty! I'm using the latest drivers from Creative.

Help!

That's the infamous refresh rate bug in Windows XP and 2000...It's NOT video card/driver specific because it affects ALL of them. Windows XP and 2000 automatically selects the LOWEST refresh rate for each resolution in games while Windows 9x would select the highest....There are workarounds...I suggest you search video card specific forums...IE one work around is to run PowerStrip which allows you to manually select each refresh rate....Another is to manually edit the videodriver inf file PRIOR to installation to select the minimum refresh rate that the driver can use (IE set it to what you want to use). I'm not about to try to tell you how to do this...I have done it myself but you will be better off going to the video card specific sites and researching the issue.

Good luck.

Or you can just do the easy thing:

Start the game from a batchfile or command line and add the following cvar (mine looks like this):

D:\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\jk2mp.exe +set r_displayRefresh 75

75 can be any rate your card/monitor supports.

Originally posted by Mertado

Or you can just do the easy thing:

Start the game from a batchfile or command line and add the following cvar (mine looks like this):

D:\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\jk2mp.exe +set r_displayRefresh 75

75 can be any rate your card/monitor supports.

1. It doe snot only happen to XP/2000 users, but the fix for 9x users is much easier, simply reinstall your monitor inf file, and whala.

2. http://www.3dgpu.com has a link to the fixes, just search for refresh rate and you are bound to find it.

3. Mert, good idea, but can he do that for EVERY opengl game he plays? I'm betting not, so the other fixes are a better idea.

Nope, only Q3 engine games. And I also use PowerStrip, BTW. For some reason Direct3D runs like a quadroplegic tortoise on my 1.2GHz system so it's never selected when I have a choice. And since the brightness slider doesn't work in OpenGL UT engine games, PowerStrip to the rescue!

Originally posted by Mertado

Nope, only Q3 engine games. And I also use PowerStrip, BTW. For some reason Direct3D runs like a quadroplegic tortoise on my 1.2GHz system so it's never selected when I have a choice. And since the brightness slider doesn't work in OpenGL UT engine games, PowerStrip to the rescue!

Only Q3 engine games, well, I didn't mean that specific command, other games have a console, but its a tad inconvienent by any account. ;)

I don't think its D3D, its more like the Unreal engine is quadraplegic. But heres a good way to test if you have interest in checking/ fixing D3D on your system. Serious sam [latest patch], SS2, or the SS2 Demo support both D3D and opengl, and do it very well, considering the engine was originally concieved with Opengl only in mind. Simply use the high quality setting, and run it under both API's to see what you get. My system gives me about a 5 FPS drop in D3D over opnegl, which is to be understood when the engine was designed for Opengl, and impressive when you look at the two API's and see how differerent they are.

I remember the unreal engine expereince all too well. I think I'd rather have been the victim of the first lightsaber [btw anyone know anything about that group in canada that claims they are working on one?] at least it would have been over quickly. Have to find that link at shacknews and see if they have done anything else other than announce thier intensions some time.

Archived