Home

Fewer Force Points on MP servers PLEASE

Walrus

Enough ! No wonder players are complaining about MP games being Force Drain/Lightning spam fests with people running around using nothng but the Strong Style finishing move. When server admins set their games up with "Jedi Knight" or worse still, "Jedi Master" Force Power limits you might as well kick game balance out of the window.

PLEASE will admins take this on board.

Playing with a Force Power level of, say, "Jedi" will force players to make trade offs with their Force allocations. If you want to spam people with Level 3 Lightning, then you won't have the points to have great sabre skills. Likewise if you want the Strong sabre style, you might have to forget about having Darth Vader-like Force powers.

I've tried it in private net games, and it led to much better play balance and FUN.

Admins take note. Some of us want to have a good fun time when playing and are not too concerned about having to act out power trips by radiating l33t uber death from our every pore.

End of rant.

I think most dedicated servers should have Jedi force powers only and saber only. If people want to go around using guns, play another game. it is okay perhaps with the blaster rifle, but rocket launchers and stuff..come on..boring.

Force powers...still a lot of people out there who think they are good. They allways position themself on a narrow ledge or street.

They use some force and ONLY DFA attack. In open space they are dead, but they refuse to admit it.

Anyway, it is SOO boring to come in to one of those servers where people are throwing force powers on you.

Force drain should be completely taken away, since EVERYBODY who uses it uses it offensive, and it is perhaps the best forcepower in the whole game. And no, absorb wonät help as they will wait untill you have run out of force using absorb.

If people want to play with greater force powers and guns, create your own servers or perhaps just have a few dedicated servers for it. I think that a lot of people are dropping off from this game due to those facts. There are too many players just laming around thinking it is cool to just use force push all the time, or drain, as it shows off how good they are with the saber..???.....I am out of this damn game if nothing gets done. Thre are too few good servers with Saber only or little or no force. The main thing is, without force you canät even kick, and that is lame as hell, as you can not even wall jump or whatever..

Get it....only lamers and noobs out there who uses those things. Think about the players who might stick with this game for a while.

Ive found myself playing ALL aspects of JO.. i play with light AND dark side. (both the same amount) and i play Gun servers ANd saber servers...

guns arent all that boring... the fact you can pull them away and kill the person with it is very neat :) and if you knock em down and blast em.. they cant block it with their saber :D saber servers are cool... unless theres tons of people.. cuz then its just a big pit in the middle of a room with people holding walk and strafe left... and their attack button... oh that or jumping all over the place trying to do strong stance move :p.... force powers are part of the game... ill say it again... use em or counter em... dont complain about others using em just because your not quick enough to hit a button every now and then

I am not whiming....You simply do not get it do you..

Force drain is the worst power in the game. You can NOT counter it. Yes, you have abosrb, but for how long. Force drain is the only force I wish they would take away. The rest are okay, I have no problems playing with force, o all levels. it is just that most peopleare using drain as an offensive force, it was not designed for that. It was a miss from the dev crew, it has been exploated.

If you think you can counter it, why donät you try some people who knows how to use it. Agree, it is very very boring.

Then of course you have the ones rushing you, force draining, gripping and slashing "equal" dead.

And yes, i KNOW how to counter that drain, but as soon as my absorb runs out, they can drain me, and from there continue, using lighning, running after me, draining so I can not heal. I have seen it done a lot. Actually i mostly win anyway as I know they are too concentrated using drain so they do not see my swing coming. But for most people, it is a pain in the neck, and takes away the charm from the game.

If I want to play with guns, then I play RTCW, Global ops, Counter strike ot Allied assault. I might give it a small try with some guns, but not for too long. That is oc course part of it.

BUT, there should be more servers without and I sure hope that in the next patch they will completely REMOVE, FORCE DRAIN.

All other forces are okay. Jeezus, give the dark side the same heal as the light, and it is all okay. It is Force drain that is the mother of all ...............

I am not complaining. These are simple facts. if you do not agree, you have not played this game very much. I am mostly interested in servers with 2-6 people. Those are the fu ones. Duel or team FFA, saber only, no force or Jedi force. If more forcepowers, it could be fun, if it where not for DRAIN.

kritschewsky, you dont look at the whole picture of things do you? Drain is offensive because DARKSIDE IS OFFENSIVE. Drain is not just a heal but it is a counter for other force powers, sure some people abuse it, making a bigger delay in force power usage after you use drain fixes that. But really take drain out? lol come on that would mean you have to take absorb out too since its the major counter for light. Without Drain Dark Side is nothing, just like without Absorb or heal Lightside is nothing. Then all the game would turn into is a push/pull fest whee fun.

I'm tired of lightside always thinking of an easy solution to 'fix' whats not broken. Drain itself is fine, the delay on force power usage after drain needs to be fixed. Anyways stop thinking drain as just a heal, and realize what it is fully its a heal and a COUNTER just like Absorb is a counter and a force regen.

You might not want to say what the dev team intended or didn't intend without a quote of some kind, how do you really know that drain isn't working as intended? Sounds closed minded to me.

Personally it sounds to me as though you get mad because you can't use your heal force because your being drained, childish. Absorb blocks ALL dark side forces, yet I don't see us complaining about it. When you get killed by those Dark siders that are using drain that got past your absorb and wouldn't allow you to heal, just take a deep breath and realize what your force powers do and how fair and balanced the powers actually are, and admit to yourself that the person that just killed you was a better and more skilled player than you.

Ok last comments, Drain = Heal and Counter. Dark Side is OFFENSIVE force powers, Drain will not be removed so stop whining.

To Be honest... Force Drain is the most unbalanced force of them all... on drain level 3 (which most of the :newbie: no skilled pieces of s*it use) It can drain your whole force bar in under a second... and it can do it from huge distances.

Most other force powers seem to have range limits... grip has to be close up... so does lightning... but it takes the piss at the range and time it takes to drain.

The range and power of drain should be reduced a hell of a lot.

Maybe to grip distance, and to 5 seconds to drain ur whole force powers.

Duel servers are boring as most people who can't duel... drain..

I'm sure this isn't what most of us want... we want an up close and personal saber fight :lsduel:

so you want to nerf drain? ever think that its the only way for a darky to heal?

someone, i wish i could remember who, said that if raven nerfed everything that the whiners wanted we'd all be walking(not running) around taunting each other....

and you know whats worse? if raven nerfs something, yall will just pick something else to b**** about....

:barf:

Personally I find draining the full force bar of my opponent fair. Now if I used grip or lightning on them after that to easily kill them thats unfair. Drain does have a range, just like lightning, the farther you are the less it does. Drain can only drain your force fast if your standing almost infront the person.

Using drain to drain a person dry is like running around with Absorb on, and I'm sorry I see way more people running around with Absorb, heavy stance and pulling people to they're feet lately than Drainers.

Here is some tips for you absorb freaks, if you know the guy is waiting for you to drop absorb then.. RUN AWAY then get him when he's not looking. Also for the love of god be smart about your absorb, dont run around with it on all the time and you will find it works hell of alot better.

I think it would be a good idea if servers didnt have Jedi Knight/Master so you'd have to sacrifice something if you want to excel at something else, ie if you want to excel at saber skills, then you'd have to sacrifice your drain/heal whatever.

Or guns should also have force allocation to stop the saber people whining about how it costs force points to use a saber effectively, just to balance it all out.

:)

All setting lower force powers does is slowly turn everything into a no force server, reason people want to play JO is because they want force powers(POWERS not POWER) and to use a saber.

If I wanted to show off just my saber skills I would play on NF servers rather than less force since all those less force servers really are is pull/push heavy swing. Remember less force powers you have less counters you have wich means more people going 'gay, your lame and cheap but I owned your mom last night' crap.

Drain is way to quick and uses almost no mana.

If they just reduce the power of drain then it will even things out. Or even make drain eat mana if not in contact with anyone...

Just annoying to see people running around with their finger constantly on drain.

I can go without any force powers in a duel.... just proves that people have to use it to win.... that's the difference.

if YOU dont want to play on a server with Jedi Knight/Master force levels then YOU can leave. if there are a lot of other people who feel the same way then start your own servers with whatever settings you like. i don't like to play on Gun servers. do i whine about it? no. i leave, open The All Seeing Eye and filter so that the only games which show up are Force Enabled and Saber Only.

you dont have the right to decide what is and isnt enjoyable. Raven made the settings flexible for a reason. they know different people like different settings.

Originally posted by SPY_jmr1

so you want to nerf drain? ever think that its the only way for a darky to heal?

someone, i wish i could remember who, said that if raven nerfed everything that the whiners wanted we'd all be walking(not running) around taunting each other....

and you know whats worse? if raven nerfs something, yall will just pick something else to b**** about....

:barf:

You're right Dark side users do need it to heal and to take that away puts them at a disadvantage. However, from what I've seen Drains most common use is to gain unfair advantage over another player.

The problem is that people use drain when they are on full health i.e. start of a duel. The solution seems pretty simple, you can't Force Heal when you're at 100% health so you shouldn't be able to drain if you're at 100% health either. I reckon that should nip a few problems in the bud (not all but some).

But as some peeps have mentioned Force Absorb can be abused just as easily. I dunno what to say really, I'd hate to have my force powers completely drained as much as I'd hate some one to rush me with Force absorb, push me to the floor and get a nice hit in.

You can't win peeps, either which way you'll have something to fell (sometimes understandably) frustrated by. Pick a side, excel with it and if someone gets at you, there's another 500 servers to play on :p

Flame as you will but when I see a bunch of people fighting and someone using just forces I often use force drain to 'equalize' him/her. :p

Just use ASE and try the different servers with different options.

If you don't like the level of some force powers - make a modifier and filter them out, there are rules for it:

g_forceRegenTime

g_MaxForceRank

Anyhow - learn to develop your own modifiers and you can find that perfect server for you.

I personally enjoy the fact that there are so many servers with so much variety.

Often I'm in the mood for saber only, saber with force, or the full blown weapons and all.

Sheesh.

Threads like this only show that people are willing to whine about anything.

Oh yah, I'm whining about his whining. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sartis

Hey, give me a saber only force enabled server filter for the eye please =)

There are modifiers in place for that in ASE.

Click on Weapons - saber only.

Force powers - enabled.

Or do you mean only force powers that exist for the saber itself?

That woud be an interesting addition.

Raven can add more force levels - or rearrange them - that will disable certain kinds of forces.

Or you can .... make a mod. :eek:

Okay, here's my rant on the rants.. I know I won't change anybody's mind, but let's think about this.

I think most dedicated servers should have Jedi force powers only and saber only. If people want to go around using guns, play another game. it is okay perhaps with the blaster rifle, but rocket launchers and stuff..come on..boring.

First of all, Raven spent their time and money making this game, and they put in 12+ weapons, only so that people would moan and complain and try to force everyone to just use... ONE?

C'mon now, that's absurd. Star Wars has always been about more than Jedi, and the Dark Forces series has always been about more than lightsabers. Yes, sabers and force are an essential part, but NOT THE WHOLE GAME. Get over it.

If people want to play saber only, NF or low force or whatever they want, that's fine, they have those options. I say go for it if that's what you consider fun. But c'mon, you can't force the whole community to play exactly the way you play or insult them if they disagree.

Raven put all those weapons and options into the game so that people would use them, not whine and demand they be removed.

Don't use guns if you don't like them, but don't begrudge others from using this integral part of the game.

It's like the whole honor thing... if JK2 was only about honorable one on one battles, why did Raven put in CTF, or FFA? Why did they design sniper weapons and force powers capable of killing multiple players at once? Why go to all that trouble if people are just going to ignore 3/4 of the game and insist that servers only appeal to saber users?

I use every weapon and I'm proud and happy to enjoy every part of the game. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good saber duel, but I like variety and options too. JK2 is a great game because it offers so much that appeals to so many. This isn't an RPG Jedi simulator (along the lines of Star Wars Galaxies or Knights of the Old Republic) it's a First Person Shooter. This game has something for everyone. Maybe we'd rather not "go play other games" maybe we'd rather play something with Star Wars in it that has cool weapons and levels and game types?

Force+Guns is a very unique game-style, and it's totally unlike Quake3 or any other FPS outside the DF series. So don't tell me that I can't enjoy that aspect of the game!

And again, people need to learn the counters to things before they start calling for core game elements to be removed. As was pointed out, Drain is easily countered by Absorb (as are all DarkSide powers except Dark Rage). Dark vs. Light is very well balanced, I think Raven did an excellent job there. If you want to take away Drain from Dark Jedi, then you'd have to take away Heal from Light Jedi, otherwise it's unfair (think about it).

Now maybe I can see your frustration with Drain if you're a Dark Jedi fighting other Dark Jedi. But seriously, it's a CLOSE RANGE power. The simple way to stop them is to kill them before they get close enough to use it on you! Besides, there's nothing stopping you draining them, is there?

Alright, that's my rant..... move along, move along. ; )

The people who complain about drain are the people who walk around with force absorb on all the time and complain once they take it off so they can get some mana someone drains them.

Or the people who dont use absorb but use heal all the time and that dark jedi just had to hit you and you only have 30hp left but OMG HE JUST DRAINED YOU NOW, HOW CHEAP IS THAT. Now you gotta eithe run around looking for a heal pack or fight him without healing every hit.. *sniff*

I have to agree with Kurgan on this one. A big part of the fun I get from this game is that there is so much more to it than just sabers. Raven put advantages and disadvantages in about every aspect of the game, and to say that drain is overpowered or using a rocket launcher is too much like quake is too easy. A big problem I see is that there's actually a lot of strategy to this game, which is rare for an FPS. There almost always a counter-attack to whatever offensive someone comes at you with, be it a force power or a weapon. I think a majority of the people playing this online just want to get in and get frags without really planning out a strategy for what they're doing, or else just haven't played it enough to figure out all the depth this game has. Don't get me wrong, if all this game had was light sabers it would still be fun, but after a short while it would get pretty dull (see Rune).

At the same time, if you don't like having guns or force powers in it, look around for a server that is saber only with no force. I'll bet dollars to donuts you can find one pretty easily. There are so many settings you can use to customize a server its scary, from limiting which guns are available, to what level force you can use, to which force powers are available (which is currently bugged, but Raven is working on it).

This game has been out for what, 4 weeks now? No one has been able to master every aspect of this game yet (and if they have the surely don't have time to read this messageboard). No, the game isn't perfect, but considering how much fun it has been right out of the box (at least for me) is a definite tip of the cap to Raven. I guess my point is either think thru and figure out how everything works in this game, or find a server that's more suited to your style, because there's bound to be one out there somewhere.

TheBru,

Well said. And we'll notice, that those who don't like to think and play games will be the loudest 'vocal minority' because it hurts their brain to work everything out.

Just ignore their animal calls, they'll move on to checkers or solitaire soon enough.

:p

"

Originally posted by Walrus

Enough ! No wonder players are complaining about MP games being Force Drain/Lightning spam fests with people running around using nothng but the Strong Style finishing move. "

The strong style finishing move is not cheap. It also has a ton of recovery time. I never use strong style and not THAT many people use it or use it and ONLY do the finishing move.

"When server admins set their games up with "Jedi Knight" or worse still, "Jedi Master" Force Power limits you might as well kick game balance out of the window."

That is insane. I think a force level around jedi knight is great because it helps balance out guns, it also helps balance out saber since you need to put force points into it.

"PLEASE will admins take this on board.

Playing with a Force Power level of, say, "Jedi" will force players to make trade offs with their Force allocations. If you want to spam people with Level 3 Lightning, then you won't have the points to have great sabre skills. Likewise if you want the Strong sabre style, you might have to forget about having Darth Vader-like Force powers.

But your forgeting about guns....unless your one of those people :)

I've tried it in private net games, and it led to much better play balance and FUN.

Admins take note. Some of us want to have a good fun time when playing and are not too concerned about having to act out power trips by radiating l33t uber death from our every pore.

End of rant.

"

Archived