Home

Two JKRadiant Questions...

kya4life

Wow this editior is great... leaps and bounds better then JED was, althought that was a great program in itself.

I have 3 questions for anyone that can help:

1. How do you create a sky? Everytime i put a sky texture on the ceiling it's just a texture...

2. Whats the difference between a Shader and a Texture and how do I find them and use them?

3. How do you create water? hehe... kinda same question as number one...

1. Dont know.

2. Don't really feel like explaining.

3. Create a brush which will be the volume of your water, put it to where you want it, load up the yavin or bespin texture set, make sure you still have your 'water brush' selected, now find your water texture and click it, voila! Water!

1, 2, 3: I know, but I'm FAR too lazy to explain...

Well, here's a quick explanation:

A shader is just a script that's stored in a text file with the extension '.shader' It references a texture, and gives it special properties. Anytime you see a texture that is see-through, moving, animated, etc, or if you see fog, rain, water, those are shaders. They're used in all Quake3 based games.

I'm not sure how to get Raven's skies working... When open up the 'skies' texture set, there aren't any shaders, just the source pictures.

And if I type them in manually, the don't work... I'll have to figure that out. ;)

For Quake 3 editing, here are a lot of tutorials that can be applied to JK2 pretty easily:

http://www.claudec.com/the_tutorial_Index/q3a/tutorials.shtml

skies are actually quite eazy, you don't add any of the textures you see there, because they will just show up as a wall with that texture.

Instead select the show shader option in the texture window. Now you will also see shaders like yavin, and desert. apply those to the brush and tadaaaa a sky :)

good luck

Archived