Home

The Edge gives JO 4/10

scoobydoo

Anyone read the UK Edge mag (May 2002) ?

They gave JO 4/10. Just goes to show that some reviewers have completely different standards than everyone else.

They cited the low score as down to poor puzzles, badly designed arsenal and fixed acquisition of force powers.

I wonder whether they paused to consider whether they had any fun playing the game ? It's not far from judging a game on the use of graphics, and nothing else. Aquanox 10/10 anyone ?

They came to fairly poor conclusions on RTCW and MOH as well, which whilst not ground breaking, were executed very well and were both tremendous fun.

I personally struggled through the first levels, till the light sabre, but once found, it transformed the game.

This is the opinion of most of the press, and I wonder to what standard The Edge bases its review.....

Looking at a few back issues, they do tend to judge the PC games harshly.

I though Severance : Blade of Darkness was quite good fun, but that got 2 or 4 / 10. It's only Civ III recently that got decent marks.

Shame they can't be a little more objective in their reviews.

The Edge?

Sound like a business tutorial in malaysia.

Anyway,they might have a computer with Intel 810 integrated chipset,and thus the 'jerky graphics'.

"Lightsaber combat not intuitive..."

Cool.I never thought that those idiots would actually be hating the saber.And,I wonder what they define by unintuitive?Could it be that they don't even know how to attack a gran,and because of that they were detonated,and then they must have rated the graphics from there.

Clumsy controls?

Do those people know how to change the controls to beset their needs?No.

"Under-utilised"?

What do they mean?Do they mean that they never used the force when they played the game,and said that it is under utilized?Of course!

Guest Shadowen

Everyone has their own tastes. I, for one, thought that Arcanum was pretty good, but I still haven't finished it (bought it last fall), mainly because I find it somewhat boring.

If I love JO, then my opinion is (now) all that matters for me. I checked with six or seven different online game magazines to get their review first before I bought it, but their opinions no longer influence me, because I love this game.

Although it sounds like The Edge is very biased in its reviewing, there's a solution--DON'T READ IT.

i got a copy of Edge (not with jk2 in) after reading in PC Gamer how pretentious they are supposed to be. It is true, and basically I felt the magazine was completely weighted towards consoles (Global Ops only big-ish PC review). Yes, it is silly to slag off every review that doesnt come up with 90% plus, however I cannot see where they could have got that from. I don't know what RTCW or MoH got, but from what I read here, it doesn't seem to be too good. Of course Halo, by Bungie, who did sweet fa (apart from Oni) when it came to good games for the PC, managed to get 10/10, but I have my suspicions they are just a great endorsement for the X-Box.

I'd take the advice of PC Gamer, and even PC Zone in a heartbeat over Edge, everyone knows those hardcore console gamers don't "get" PC games, and if I was being sceptical I'd say dont bother looking in there for Gamecube reviews, XBox is so entrenched in that mag, anything not released for it will probably get crap scores...

Edge seems to be a magazine that above all others takes the moral high ground in their reviewing policy, however there is a difference between being skilled, and simply slagging off games. I wouldnt be suprised if they have been completely taken in by the X-Box, so any other large release falls behind it.

there were probs with jk2, but they could have made an extra 5 multiplay maps, released it as bots and online only and it would still be better than q3 arena on release...

Archived