Home

Who uses joystick/mouse combo?

Robotik

With all the extra functions you can do in JKII such as force powers, switching stances, special saber moves, etc. as well as having to react quickly, it would seem a good idea to go to a joystick instead of having to stretch my fingers to reach the keys.

I've seen someone do this in Counterstrike, but this would be an even better idea in JKII. Anyone doing this and which joystick are you using? Thanks.

Joystick/mouse combo works better with Half-Life engine because of the support for analogic movement. I hear that the Q3 engine used to have this support too, but it was broken with some upgrade. Now its just digital on/off movement just like with keyboard. Still playable, but I'd like to see this fixed.

As for which joystick to use, here are my guidelines: 1. Ambidexterious so you can use it with your left hand. 2. Lots of buttons on the handle. A hat can be set as 4 buttons for most games. 3. Durable. FPS gaming subjects joysticks to more wear and tear than most of them are designed to.

I use a Logitech WingMan Extreme myself and its decent.

Originally posted by Darth Seph

I find joysticks to clumsy and ugly. I've been playing for sooooooo long with a keyboard im a custom to it. My fingers are just relaxed on the keyboard , just not like that on a joystick.

Heh, its the exact opposite for me. If im forced to use keyboard in some Half-Life mod im only 30% as good as I usually am because of the clumsy, inprecise movement and my fingers get sore pretty fast.

Its just a matter of what you are used to, I guess. Using joystick to move and mouse to aim was natural in Mechwarrior 2, and I found myself using that style for Jedi Knight too when it came out. After JK I moved on to Q2 (for Action Quake 2) and to HL (for Action Half-Life) after that. All 3 of these games support analogic movement, so I really grew used to that. As a result I perfer to use joystick for movement even on FPS games that only have "digital" movement (like UT, Tribes 2 and JK2).

I use a Saitek 3D Gold in my left hand and my mouse in my right hand

Joystick moves forward/backward and strafes left right, has no rotation ability.

Easy access to

Fire primary

Fire alt

jump

use force

with additional buttons to change saber stance, taunt, switch weapon and use item below the stick.

The mouse i use to aim and rotate.

Since doing this my kill:death ratio has improved DRASTICALLY

saitek is nice because it has a hand rest that is removeable and resetable, so i have it set for left hand use.

Other things on it are also removeable/reattachable for left/right hand use.

Ah, Saitek. I had a Saitek Cyborg, and the customisability was very nice, but it wasn't very durable. This Logitech stick I have now has fared better. I did manage to break the X-axis in 6 months on the original one, but this replacament they gave me has lasted over a year. Well past guarantee, so I'll have to buy a new one when this one breaks ;) The Z-axis is already messed up, but I don't use that anyways.

As I said, FPS gaming can be hard on complicated joysticks.

Guest HertogJan

I have a sidewinder... And it isn't ambidextrous, so of no use for shooters... I'm used to my WASD config anyway and I need lot's of keys to bind all my stuff to!

Originally posted by Kissamies

Heh, its the exact opposite for me. If im forced to use keyboard in some Half-Life mod im only 30% as good as I usually am because of the clumsy, inprecise movement and my fingers get sore pretty fast.

Same here. I use a Microsoft Precision 2 and I use all of the 8 buttons on it. I use the mouse for precise aiming.

Archived