Home

Dynamic music...

Markana

Can anyone offer me some advice on how to include dynamic music in my map please?

I can include music using worldspawn, but I'd like different music to be triggered at different places in the level. But when I try to have music activated by a trigger I get a message telling me that the track can't be found as "an explicit track or as dynamic music".

Do I have to put the mp3 file in a special folder? I've unzipped both the assets.pk3 files and tried a few things but to no prevail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

From what I can tell.. it's defined in the ext_data\dms.dat file... problem is with editing this file is that it is a global JO file, not just one specific to your level. Hopefully there's a way of creating a script that allows you to do it without changing the master file (like there are for bots).

jk2 handles dynamic music automatically.

All you have to do is go to pk0.pk3 open it up in winzip and choose the music from a certain level.

Next, click n in Radiant click on worldspawn.

Edit worldspawn as in this example

key: music

Value: music/artus_topside

Press enter

Thats it. Put some stormtroopers in you sp level. Then when you fight them the music will change to the action sequence or something. Very cool. Experiment with different level folders in pk0.pk3!

Thank you both for the help. My map has really come to life with the addition of dynamic music.

I was actually wandering if it's possible to use my own mp3 tracks "dynamically" instead of those that come with the game. But from what AKPiggott says it all sounds a bit complicated for me!

Besides, the music that comes with the game is superb so I'll just stick with it.

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

Your Welcome!

I was actually wandering if it's possible to use my own mp3 tracks "dynamically" instead of those that come with the game. But from what AKPiggott says it all sounds a bit complicated for me!

I havn't tried it but I think you could by putting it in your own .pk3 in the music folder by using the same convention they have used.

The dynamic music has an explore and an action sequence. A main file for each with little mp3's as well. I believe that you could make a main file by using yourmapname_explore and yourmapname_action

For the little music loops I have seen that they either begin with atr or etr. My guess is that atr is an action track and etr is an exploring track. These are just files to add a bit of variety in game keeping in with the main theme.

Therefore, you could probably make a .pk3 with a musicfolder/yourmapname including all of the files for the dynamic music using the naming convention I just described.

Archived