Home

Sabre colours in game/films **Minor AOTC spoilers**

yoda_alex

Does anyone know the "rules" about sabre colours?

In the films, there are red green and blue sabres. There is also Luke's original sabre from a new hope which looks white but this could just be due to technology issues (ie it was too difficult or expensive at the time the film was made to make his sabre blue).

In Episode II, we see Mace Windu with a purple lightsabre.

In JK1, there was a whole host of colours that the dark jedi used. In JK2, the acadamy jedi use different colours as well.

So my questions are:

What are the rules in the films (why only three basic colours)?

Why are the films different to the games (especially as I read in an interview that raven had to liase with Lucas about sabre colours)?

Thanks

Green/blue/purple for Jedi and red for Dark Jedi/Sith is the traditional color, since back in the Tales of the Jedi era there were huge Jedi vs Sith battles, and lightsaber color was one way to tell each other apart from the other.

Obviously a Jedi could make his lightsaber any color he wanted based on the crystal he put in it (Lucas has even said this before), but it's a "not supposed to" kind of thing in the Jedi order.

Originally posted by yoda_alex

Does anyone know the "rules" about sabre colours?

In the films, there are red green and blue sabres. There is also Luke's original sabre from a new hope which looks white but this could just be due to technology issues (ie it was too difficult or expensive at the time the film was made to make his sabre blue).

In Episode II, we see Mace Windu with a purple lightsabre.

In JK1, there was a whole host of colours that the dark jedi used. In JK2, the acadamy jedi use different colours as well.

So my questions are:

What are the rules in the films (why only three basic colours)?

Why are the films different to the games (especially as I read in an interview that raven had to liase with Lucas about sabre colours)?

Thanks

Under the Heading of an article in the UK PC Zone games magazine "Does Colour Matter" LucasArts response to the this seemingly innocent question is surprisingly nervy, Tom Sarris, director of public relations offers this explaination, "We have to be consistent with what happens in the films, and choosing the colour of your Lightsaber would represent an inconsistency. While it may be something players want, we still have to adhere to the Star Wars rules. Licensing does give us latitude when it comes to multiplayer. When it comes to single-player we have to stick to the rules much more strictly. I know it sounds hypocritical, but in multiplayer there has to be a little bit more latitude given and thankfully licensing gave us that."

On one of the online documentaries Lucas specifically says what colour Lightsabers "good" and "evil" Jedi use, he states that good Jedi use Blue/Green while Sith/Dark Jedi use Red (in the Episode 2 Visual Dictionary it is revealed that the red sabers are made by synthetically produced Sith crystals) the exception to the rule is Mace Windu's Lightsaber which is purple only because Jackson successfully lobbied Lucas for a purple one, in Star Wars continuity this could be argued that because he is the head of the Jedi Council he has constructed a new Lightsaber which has allowed him to create a new synthetic crystal for use in his unique Electrum Lightsaber.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/video/making/making10.html

If I recall, in Jedi Power Battles for PS1, there were several saber colors involved. Adi Gallia wielded a red one, which I found unusual, and Ploo Koon wielded an orangish-yellow one.

All I can say is that I've always wanted to use an orange saber, and JKII finally did the job of rendering one well. (I did like the saber from JK and MOTS, but the glow is so much better done in JKII) I did notice one inconsistency, though. In JK and MOTS, your saber will illuminate dark areas, as you would expect it to. In JKII, it doesn't. (even with graphics cranked on my GF3) Hmmm.

That's my two cents. Go get the AOTC soundtrack if you haven't already. It's good.

Baron

Thanks for putting the spoiler alert yoda, it wasn't a huge thing but you never know what people don't want to know. I've wandered into a few unmarked threads and found out some things I really didn't want to know (Jango Fett is a clone of Shimi Skywalker!!! Oh no, I should have put a spoiler alert!!:p).

Anyway I just wanted to say you're right better safe than sorry:)

Well anyone who wants to stay so far away from "spoiler" material had better turn off their TV for the next two or three weeks. Mace has been running around with his purple lightsaber a lot recently...

As for the real non-fanboy reason for lightsaber colours...originally all sabers were going to be white. Prior to ANH it was decided that colour would be added. The "good" guys were given blue, and Vader was given red. I'm not sure if Lucas has ever explained why. Luke was given a green saber in ROTJ because it looked better against the Tatooine background. In the years that have passed, people have just latched on to the idea that the colours were somehow significant (and Lucas has played into that).

As for the real non-fanboy reason for lightsaber colours...originally all sabers were going to be white. Prior to ANH it was decided that colour would be added. The "good" guys were given blue, and Vader was given red. I'm not sure if Lucas has ever explained why. Luke was given a green saber in ROTJ because it looked better against the Tatooine background. In the years that have passed, people have just latched on to the idea that the colours were somehow significant (and Lucas has played into that).

Thats how most things in movies happen. Some of us, however, enjoy living in another galaxy, and to us the colors will always be significant :)

Well Adi Gallia and

Leia's second one

is Crimson/carmine, it is pinkier than red.

Well i dont like the blue/green for the good boys and red for the badguys. Well red for the bad is good, but at least Yellow could have appeared, since Plo koon seemed to have it. But then Mace windu had a blue one, Ki-Adi a purple one and Adi Gallia a crimsom one, The Halcyon family had silver, and Callista had Yellow...

people have just latched on to the idea that the colours were somehow significant (and Lucas has played into that).

Well i think not, that is the cause of the lack of new colors. I think that seeing a lot of jedis with the same colors will be awful. Hope that lucas put them in the DVD edition.

There is also Luke's original sabre from a new hope which looks white but this could just be due to technology issues (ie it was too difficult or expensive at the time the film was made to make his sabre blue).

Well in that movie, obi wan's is as blue as in the new movies, but luke's is lighter.... maybe another color, maybe the light in the room or is it silver color... (i doubt it)

my guess is that the saber is liek a uniform, sure the colour is based upon your own personality, but liek the gentleman said earlier this topic, in a big sith war how would you tell each other apart? saber colour my friends, saber colour :D

personally, i would have either a silver blade, or an orange blade :cool:

According to all the star wars boooks i have read and i have almost all of them. The red dark jedi/sith sabers are just a mass produced crystal that they use. All othersabers are the personal creation of the jedi and there color varies based upon what crystals they have on hand to work with. the sith war was over 3000 years before episode 1 and i doubt they would stick with one color for that long it would be so boring. In SW:ANH Lukes and Obi-Wans sabers were supose to be the same color but lukes was a lighter blue. In the later moves his was green because the crystal he used in it.

I wish they would put a Dual Phase light saber like Coran Horns into the movie or game. It doubles in length and changes color depending on the setting

-Royal

Archived