Home

Can MSPaint (theoretically) edit skins?

PerfectSky

if you have the skills of a 10 year old, sure, paint will not make things look great. But in the hands of a PERSON WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING, MS paint is a great program. I use it with my Action Half-Life skins, its a great simple tool. Its especially great for simple edit jobs where you don't need to load up photoshop or psp.

Paint has a purpose, I would appreciate it if you weren't so level-headed.

-quamosity

I have Microsoft Picture It! Publishing,

could i edit skins with that? i know it can open .tga files so it should be able to right?:confused: im a skinning newbie but have a great original character id like to see in JKII, and if anyone could point me in the direction of some good skinning tutorials then that would be great :D

Originally posted by quamosity

if you have the skills of a 10 year old, sure, paint will not make things look great. But in the hands of a PERSON WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING, MS paint is a great program. I use it with my Action Half-Life skins, its a great simple tool. Its especially great for simple edit jobs where you don't need to load up photoshop or psp.

Paint has a purpose, I would appreciate it if you weren't so level-headed.

-quamosity

It has a purpose. For my 10 year old sister to draw in it to waste 20mins of boredom.

And apart from that, it's pretty crap.

With the current skinning technologies and graphics, Paint doesn't work. Unless you want to go back to skinning the original Quake.

God dammit, your talking about ''Oh these little kids are som dumb'' and ''It's only for 10 yr olds'' WTF!??

Mayority (i dunno how to spell it..) isn't always about age.. Do you think that people is getting smarter the day they is 15 or 18 or something?

I'm 13.

in a (swedish) forum i hang in the people there thoght i was 18-20 yrs old!

ohwell... As a experienced skinner (Quake, Q2, Q3, JK, a.s.o.) .... I´d recomend that you start of with photoshop.

In theory you can use MS paint.. but as said before.. It looks crap (though it worked fine to reskin Quake 1 skins)

DL photoshop and try it out

Originally posted by MooCow

Bet you are one of those lill kids who think they're artists by using filters and other lame ass effects.

If you can actually draw, you can make cool stuff in MS Paint.

Um, no........

I haven't an artist bone in my body I think. I can make basic banners and the like but show me a quality skin made with paint. Go on.

Originally posted by Picasso

God dammit, your talking about ''Oh these little kids are som dumb'' and ''It's only for 10 yr olds'' WTF!??

Mayority (i dunno how to spell it..) isn't always about age.. Do you think that people is getting smarter the day they is 15 or 18 or something?

I'm 13.

in a (swedish) forum i hang in the people there thoght i was 18-20 yrs old!

I think you should re-read the posts I made. I said, and I quote,

Paint could probably color them but your skin would suck something bad.

You can't texture, do effects etc in Paint. It's extremely basic.

The only person who uses it are kids aged 10 and under.

Where did I say anyone was dumb!? Where did I say it was only for 10 year olds!? I said that the only person who uses it (and in my experience as a computer programmer) are kids aged 10 and under. Most prople use Paintshop or Photoshop.

DL photoshop and try it out

I use both Photoshop and Paintshop, version 6 and 7 respectively, already.

Skins could be made using Paint, but I agree whole-heartedly that the quality cannot be the same. The only thing you can do with paint is EXTREMELY basic editing, which means your skin is not particularly different from the original. You cannot create a skin from scratch in Paint and have it look good, period. It's not about skill, it's about available tools. MS Paint is not intended as a high-end graphics program. There are no advanced tools. If you wanted to draw cartoon-ish skins, you could accomplish it with Paint. If you wanted to create realistic-looking skins, you honestly can't do that in Paint. This is coming from a 6+ year graphic designer who has played around a great deal with Paint. Someone is going to take this as me insulting their MS Paint skills, but thats not the point. I'm not insulting people, I'm insulting Paint (Though not really, it does what it's supposed to. It's just not supposed to do advanced graphic design).

BradFu!

Originally posted by BradFu

Skins could be made using Paint, but I agree whole-heartedly that the quality cannot be the same. The only thing you can do with paint is EXTREMELY basic editing, which means your skin is not particularly different from the original. You cannot create a skin from scratch in Paint and have it look good, period. It's not about skill, it's about available tools. MS Paint is not intended as a high-end graphics program. There are no advanced tools. If you wanted to draw cartoon-ish skins, you could accomplish it with Paint. If you wanted to create realistic-looking skins, you honestly can't do that in Paint. This is coming from a 6+ year graphic designer who has played around a great deal with Paint. Someone is going to take this as me insulting their MS Paint skills, but thats not the point. I'm not insulting people, I'm insulting Paint (Though not really, it does what it's supposed to. It's just not supposed to do advanced graphic design).

BradFu!

Exactly!!!

Archived