Home

Showcasing my map.....

Elijah

well i didnt think this went in the Editing place becuse iam just Showcasing...

Anyways heres a level about 2 days into the makings (iam new with JK2R) I am thinking if i should enter it into the JKII level Torny...

The ScreenShots:

shot0000.jpg

shot0001.jpg

shot0002.jpg

shot0003.jpg

shot0004.jpg

shot0005.jpg

shot0006.jpg

shot0007.jpg

Flames? Comments? Praise?

Looking good, if you can, please don't add a ton of little extra things, it rapes people's FPS (those with lower end machines). A good example is the canyon_oasis remake, there're a ton of little extra random things that look nice, but rape people's FPS and don't really need to be there

Originally posted by Darthtoast

Looking good, if you can, please don't add a ton of little extra things, it rapes people's FPS (those with lower end machines). A good example is the canyon_oasis remake, there're a ton of little extra random things that look nice, but rape people's FPS and don't really need to be there

I agree, I have noticed with the more glass i put into the level the lower the FPS gets... ill remove abit of it.

Also, what do you guys think, Should i enter it into the JKII Torny?

Oh and the Music.... well i might have have a Starwarsish one but for now i have 1000FT Krutch - "puppet" but i wont be keeping that in there :D

is there somthing about it being illegal to put copyrighted MP3s into a level?

No offense, but change the ground!!!!

imho it looks ugly :)

Btw. Could u maybe make a small passage with a trap in it?

In duel_castle, in the middle u have a floor that opens when u push a button ( and I mean force push the button )

Maybe u can incorperate in the map that if u pull a button,

deadly sticks come out of the wall and kill the person that is walking into the passage.

Ow and dont forget to make a big open center in the map. Dont put down health/armour thingies in that open center, since this is where people will fight.

just my 2 cents

good luck!

greetz,

Ascari

Traps are in the makings :D And i have a big glass duel area for Saber battles. i will be making a big Arena (sircular) sort of area with benches going down where you can Gun it out wit' joo homeys if you ketch my drift :D

and yea the floor.....

Shadows... SHADOWS! Right now it looks rather like a doom map without the ID "touch". The arcitecture is nice, but it seems... basic... like youve spent a lot of time on the shape of the level in Radiant, but not in JO. Also vary your textures more, it looks really repetitive.

Other than that, it seems to be going along well, keep it up.

I like the map, but you should probably change the textures, as everyone else is saying. And, as someone else said, not everything has to be square and rectangular. You can make domes and circular rooms and stuff like that in your map too. Otherwise, it looks great. Can't wait for it to come out.

Shot 1:

There is actually no real indication that there is a door there, you should trim it with some brushes with a different texture

Shot 2:

Your curve is messed up. Look at some tutorials on how to get it right.

Shot 3:

You did trim the door, but the texture you used should't be used like it is now. As you can see there is a middle line in it, which actually has no reason for being there.

Last shot:

The way down and up seems a bit too steep. In ffa people will have trouble going up and down at reasonable speed.

Overall:

The map seems quite big, and the flow appears (on screenshots that is) pretty ok.

Lighting is I think non existant. I think you only changed the ambiend and the _color flag in your worldspawn, which explains why it appears so "plain and boring". If you wan't your map to "live" you must add lights to it, and only use a low value of ambient. It will take you a lot of time, but your map will look a thousand times better. Try to avoid "spots" on the texture, we actually don't want the player to know that there exists something like a light entity ;)

For the architecture, try to get rid of the boxyness of your map, add more detail to it. And as said in previous threads, your textures are quite repetitive. Keep working on it, there is so much more you can do with the design you are using.

Thank you thank you! yea iv been working hard to UNBOXATIZE if you will, alot of the areas.... the Lighting i havent got around to yet so that explains it :D. and ill probly have a freind help me tweak all the textures before i release it.

Actually .. high quality ground textures is what kills FPS in the Q3 engine.

You have to either used very well optimized ones or really ugly ones.

One of the reasons the game MOH:AA has such low fps in areas is due to the badly applied ground textures.

Archived