Home

Bad News about Saber Colour and SP Player Models

AKPiggott

I asked Mike Gummelt about it and he provided this answer:

"The only way to change the player model is to copy a different NPC's models dir contents into base/models/kyle. And you can only change the lightsaber color from the console or by changing the source art or the sabers.shader to make the blue saber shader point to a different saber color's art."

Just open the npcs.cfg file in the ext_data directory. Change Kyle's lightsaber to the desired color. This will change the color during the cutscenes.

During the game, simply bind the color change command with the 'saber select, weapon switch, and both primary and secondary fire buttons.

The effect is seemless.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

did u ask him if there was a way to execute a .cfg file within a script?

'cause making a cfg file that changes the sabercolor automatically is easy but u have to exec it from the console unless theres some way to exec one in a script

-patch

Well.. there's a ray of hope there... I tried replacing the saber according to Mike's instructions, he also told me how t change the saber trail, however this also affects Dark Jedi, so if you have a green saber trail, so will they, regardless of the saber colour that they are holding. Anyway, I e-mailed Jeff Dischler about it, he told me there was no way to change it this way. I then asked him if a console command can be executed via a script, he said that you at least used to be able to do this, but is unsure about whether it is still the case. Time to drop Mike another line I think.

Originally posted by patchx

didnt they realise not making sure saber color was adjustable via script will wreak havoc on the user made sp level scene?

No, they didn't think people would be so interested in it. I can see why, with most games, SP editing never really takes off. The original JK is the only example I can think of that has more than a handful of good SP levels.

*shrug*

Start your level, change saber color, save game. tell people to use that savegame to run the level, and the saber color stays. There was a modified version off the deathstar ffa level a while back for SP, where you fought reborn, stormtroopers etc with a green lightsaber using this method.

Originally posted by AKPiggott

No, they didn't think people would be so interested in it. I can see why, with most games, SP editing never really takes off. The original JK is the only example I can think of that has more than a handful of good SP levels.

Don't even forget Doom, Duke Nukem and Quake. Do never. ;)

Originally posted by Ko'or Oragahn

Don't even forget Doom, Duke Nukem and Quake. Do never. ;)

Oh yeah.. I forgot Duke Nukem... I don't even have Quake or Doom, so I wouldn't know any how... but apart from that, there's very few if any... Half-Life only has two or three decent SP levels (They Hunger and USS Darkstar are the only ones I can think of right now), the rest of them are basically more Gordon Freeman in BMRF.. gets a bit boring... however, when it comes to Half-Life multiplayer, there's no shortage of good mods and levels.

Originally posted by Aiee

Start your level, change saber color, save game. tell people to use that savegame to run the level, and the saber color stays. There was a modified version off the deathstar ffa level a while back for SP, where you fought reborn, stormtroopers etc with a green lightsaber using this method.

That's not an option. I'm obsessed with making things as professional as possible. I wouldn't like it if Raven shipped the game saying "don't click on New Game, load the saved game we provided instead". Also, this wouldn't even be possible if you have an opening cutscene...

Archived