Home

Voodoo 5500 question

aredesh

Alright....does anyone out there have windows 98 SE and a Voodoo 5500......if you do, please tell me exactly what drivers you're running on, be it wickedgl, some third party drivers, whatever....because i can't stop this crashing, i'm not using a nocd crack, i'm using the default video settings in jedi knight, etc. etc.....and i've tried installing so many things...here are my other system specs:

1 ghz amd athlon thunderbird

ASUS motherboard

320 MB of SD RAM

SB!Live soundblaster sound card

that's all i can think of.....please help! thanks

finally, someone else with a voodoo 5.

the drivers i am currently using on 98se are 1.04.01, but these are beta. the ones that came with my installation cd are (i think) 4.12.01 both work fine for me, but i have seen issues with the sky in jedi outcast for some of the other betas. remember voodoo cards aren't supported by this game so there are some problems; for me, i can't view the cutscenes, and sometimes the game crashes or freezes when trying to load a quick save. also, wicked gl won't work with JO, but other than those problems, the game runs fine.

Edit: I can also pretty much crank the settings on the game to max without much problems: 1024 resolution, 32-bit textures and color, detailed shaders are on, pretty much everything is as high as it will go, except for shadows=none, and only bilinear filtering, because voodoo doesn't support trilinear.

Edit (again): heh, about that wicked gl thing, i just read one of the threads below this one that tells how to get it working for JO.

I am currectly running WIN 98 SE

320 MB RAM

Athlon 800 mhz

Voodoo 5 5500

I have Jedi Knight 2 running at 1024x768 w/ no problems at all.

I would recommend using the WickedGL Drivers. Not only did the game run great w/ no graphical glitches, but the cutscenes would play. Just go into the WickedGL folder, wherever you put it and copy opengl32.dll to "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData" Make sure the file is in the folder GameData otherwise it will not work.

This also works for Medal Of Honor Allied Assault.

well, see, the single player runs pretty well, i've never really had it crash--its the multiplayer that's giving me problems. right now i'm running it with wickedgl , but it still crashes same as before...sometimes i can go a good 3 or 4 maps with no problems, but then BAM it just closes itself up. arrg, i need to reformat...that usually fixes everything.....mwoody, you practically have the same computer as me--although the motherboard might be different--could that be the problem? my asus motherboard?

I too have an asus MoBo. I don't have that problem, at least not yet. Are you running anything in the background. I had that problem with a different game and found out that a program was accessing the Hard Drive and that is what Crashed the game

turn down the special FX such as GL extensions and such

and try some user made drivers, i've found them to work better than Wickhed myself (I'm a VooDoo 3 owner.. well former, i just got meself a Geforce 2 MX 400)

• 4 weeks later...

alright---

what the hell is going on. i have just reformatted, and i have installed wickedGl--like i posted earlier, here are my specs:

Voodoo 5500

AMD Athlon 1 Ghz processor

320 megs of SD ram

ASUS mobo

mwoody has practically the same computer, and his doesn't give him much of a problem--does anyone have any insight?? its still crashing, multiplayer and occaisonallly in single player!!

This might not apply to you, but make sure nothing is overclocked or running out-of-spec while you are using JKII. That kind of things has been known to cause crashes and such fairly frequently, especially in CPU intensive games like JKII.

Other than that, just on the sky issue. You can edit your config files (jkmpconfig.cfg for multiplayer, jkconfig.cfg for single player I THINK) and change cg_fastsky (or maybe it was cg_drawfastsky) to 0 instead of 1. That should clear up the sky issues.

The other thing that helps is change the option under OpenGL in the 3dfx Tools "Force 16-bit Textures" to ON. That should help clear up the cutscenes and load crashing.

Other than that, try to get the legal version of WickedGL (pay for it), so you don't have to press 'c' which sometimes screws up the window focus and also, don't run anything else in the background.

Also keep checking the 3dfx Underground at "http://nat.mine.nu:81/3dfx/" which has some 3rd party drivers coming on soon that should clear up a LOT of these issues as well as make the game faster, better looking and support Ansitropic Filering too :) Should be good when they come out.

not overclocking

no problems with sky

no problems with loading/cutscenes

the c thing in wickedgl can be annoying when i minimize and such, but it is not the source of my crashing (happens w/o it)

as for running anything in the backround.....i just reformatted! so i seriously doubt that's it--wil aol instant messenger screw it up?...hrmmmm....i think that would have been said before if it was.

as for needing newer drivers...well, mwoody uses those wickedgl drivers, don't he?? oh, i don't know..... ::sob:: i REALLY would rather not buy another videocard!!! other people can get these voodoo5500's to work--with what i said above in this post, could there be ANYTHING else (besides the vid card) causing the random crashing of the multiplayer? again, anyone's help is much appreciated (thankyou, andytx :))

edit: and i have bought the game, as well--no nocd hacks!!

Hmm, well sorry most of it didn't help.

Did you try "Foce 16-bit Textures" though? That made the cutscenes work correctly on my sister's Voodoo5. Try that, if not, just tell me. I think there was a long Voodoo5 post earlier on this forum... maybe I'll go dig that up for you.

Greetings people.

I run:

PIII 800 (which will soon be a 1200)

Voodoo 5 5500

512MB RAM

Windows 2000

WTF are you still using 98 for? :D

Seriously though 98 is soooo slow! I am running the game rock solid on multiplayer. However, as for speed, I simply cant match my Quake III fps. I am running 800*600, all the fancy effects off, and a pic mip value of 3.

Its OK, fps varies a lot, I like it above 60 at all times, which I have managed.

I have turned skys off because like Quake III they dont work properly, and i get the hall of mirrors effect. Shame because in CS/HL they just use TGA files which work on any machine.

The V5 is looking shaky these days as support for it dwindles, but I am using the last official 3DFX drivers released for direct X 8.0a.

Hope this helps, and you can get the game to run properly.

windows 2000 isn't compatible with my asus mobo :(

i think there's a way to update the drivers for it, but as of now i'm in th'dark.

can you tell me where to find those drivers (although since we're running diff os's its probably not going to help)

I also have a voodoo 5, 5500. (soon to own a Geforce 4 MX 420 and expecting no problems at all) I can run both the single player and multiplayer fine with the exception of the odd crash in single player. I'm running windows 98SE, 700mhz, 320ram, P3.

I updated my video driver to 1.0.8 This is not an official driver but it seems to have made things work alot better than 1.0.4 beta.

The major cause of freeze/lockups and shutdowns on pc games has nothing to do with video. It has to do with SOUND. Not many people know this. Regardless of what type of sound card you have, update the sound card drivers as well. Also keep background running programs to only the essentials. Also in the readme txt file of the game it states a couple of things that may help people here.

First is to have your desktop color in 16 bit high color as opposed to 32 bit true color. Also do NOT have a virus shield or scanner of any kind running in the background. Firewalls are also a problem even in single player.

I still have the occasional crash in single player so I think I'll try to set the force 16 bit in the tools and see if that improves performance.

i've updated my sound card (SB!Live Value) and the crashing continues......it doesn't freeze--it just closes itself up, right back to windows, so at least i don't have to restart--but it happens so often! i can't get trhough a map! anyway, where are those 1.0.8 drivers you mentioned, when i search for them all i find is MAC drivers....thanks again for your help

Your mobo isnt compatible? What chipset is it? If its a VIA its pretty much essential you have the latest drivers as these really mke a lot of difference.

I am using the 440BX - quite old now but certainly compatible.

I am getting a 1.2GHz PIII which will have that new intel chipset, I will keep y'all updated as to how that performs.

Sith Menace - I am considering a GF4 MX460, as it addresses more RAM and has a higher triangles/second than the GeForce 2 Ultra.

I need to see how it compares to the GEForce3.

V5 = 11M triangles/sec

GeForce4 MX460 = 38M triangles/sec, but the main benefit will be that it is supported and I might get a decent fps.

I have turned off all wall marks etc just to get 30-40 average.

I need to try some newer drivers though, to see if I am missing any perfromance from the Voodoo. This is the first game where the Voodoo doesnt look good. In CS/Avp/QuakeIII the picture quality is way above the GeForce or Radeon, but in JK2 it looks poor and performs poor

:(

i've installed the 1.08 drivers and tools and stuff, and it crashes just as before. i'm beginning to think its NOT my videocard, seeing as that everyone else running these drivers is having no trouble with it. and i don't THINK that its the sound, i've updated my soundblaster's drivers and i know soundblaster cards are supported..........you know, i haven't updated my motherboards drivers in quite a while (the VIA 4 in 1 drivers or whatever). could that be it?

updated the via 4 in 1 drivers, still crashes.

i reinstalled the 1.08. drivers an'm'sound card drivers afterwards, just in case....i'm about to give up here.

i forgot to mention--my voodoo is PCI. that wouldn't have anything to do with anything, would it?

anyone? (just keeping the post on the top of the list, in hopes that it will be noticed :D )

just for the hell of it--

the game rarely crashes when there is only 1 or 2 other people in the server.

earlier, when i was running a different set of drivers, the multiplayer would close itself up, and when i tried to reopen it, it immidiately closed up and my desktop was funny gamma. if i restarted this would stop, and if i tried opening single player after the multiplayer crashed once it gave me an "invalid gl driver" error or something.

also, i don't think that my video settings matter much--i can crank it to everything high, and run it 1280 by 1024 and it runs very smoothly (UNTIL IT CRASHES!! BLAARGG!!)......maybe this stuff'll give someone who knows somehting some insight hpoefully

Originally posted by aredesh

updated the via 4 in 1 drivers, still crashes.

i reinstalled the 1.08. drivers an'm'sound card drivers afterwards, just in case....i'm about to give up here.

i forgot to mention--my voodoo is PCI. that wouldn't have anything to do with anything, would it?

It might do - the game doesnt support the AGP Voodoo5, so we can only imagine what the PCI one would be like.

Dammit!

I just got my Athlon XP1900. I reinstalled Windows 2000, and JediKnight II, and now cannot get it to work. I can host a game on the Voodoo with the GL extensions on - but cant read any of the text. If i turn the GL extensions off (via the config file), and then try to create a game it crashes out of JKII on just before it hosts the game.

I got it to work before! can someone tell me what settings they use, or post their config would be nice.

Archived