Home

Tribes (like) Mod Instead of Class Based

NewBJedi

Would a 'Tribes' like mod be better than a strict class based system?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would a 'Tribes' like mod be better than a strict class based system?

• Yah, that would be great, much more flexible, lets do it!
    • No, a strict class based system is much better.

One of the appeals of Jedi Outcast are the complexity of close combat battle - lightsaber, force powers, sloppy weapons, etc.

Vehicles - I wouldn't even consider that for the Q3 engine.

With Q3 engine vehicles, you must become the vehicle, and you'd have to make giant maps which would slow anyone down who doesn't want to use a vehicle - see Tribes 2. Plus, the Q3 engine just simply can't do large outdoor maps - but it can do beautiful and intricate indoor ones - so why not exploit it's potential?

The comparison to Tribes was only to say there should be stations and we should be able to choose our armor classes, etc and deploy things as such, and not be restricted by a single class with set group of weapons - it should have ranges.

This shouldn't be a strict Jedi-theme game - just some tweaks to MP to make it more flexible.

Everyone should have a lightsaber, that's one of the major 'fun' factors in Jedi Outcast.

Keyword - 'fun'.

This mod has to be as fun as regular CTF/FFA otherwise no one will play it.

People shouldn't play the mod and feel restricted - they should play it and feel like they can do more, otherwise the mod is pointless.

When you start saying so and so character or armor is a Jedi you start getting into class restrictions.

I don't agree with the force vs. weapons thing.

How would the defense counter-attack against someone coming with full force or taking off with full force powers with flag or whatever? How would defense counter-act mind-trick?

Again, you end up with class restrictions instead of balances of armor.

This wouldn't be a class mod, it'd be so that there is a better focus on balance and the ability to get things without having to search from them at spawn points.

Otherwise, most of MP should stay as it is.

That's why I thought this mod would work, because it's not a total conversion toward the creation of classes and stuff.

It's simply a way to take all the spawned weapons and deployables, and forces, etc, and put them in one place, where people could gather them in a 'balanced' manner.

After reading the discussion, I say:

Get rid of the armor types and just make stations where people can gather stuff and not rely on spawn areas.

Keep it simple and efficient. All the complexity of the mod should be in having fun with gameplay, which already exists.

The idea of armor restrictions leads too much too class concepts.

In that case, I say forget the armors, and just simply let people gather their weapons, deployables, shields, and force powers at stations - with the ability to use customized favorites for ease of use.

Have 3 stations:

Force power stations - select any 3 - 4 extra force powers.

(This could depend on g_maxforcerank variable set by the admin.)

Weapon/Refill station - select any 2 - 3 weapons.

Deployable/Shield station - select any 2 - 3 deployables or shields.

If you don't gather deployables, you can get shields instead - a trade-off.

The amount of per weapon and per deployable can judged by enemy team size. For instance you don't want to give out 8 rockets if the other team has 8 players - perhaps 1/2 rockets per 3-5 players, etc. Or one sniper rifle per team.

Canisters for health and mines, etc, could be something everyone gets or be deployables in stations - up to the mod makers.

There can be a select default of force powers everyone gets:

Force jump, saber defend, saber attack, saber throw, etc.

Anyhow, my intention was to allow the player to do more with the current setup and not be restricted by spawn areas.

Making the game more efficient for people is one thing, but complicating it too much will just confuse and stop people from considering the mod as an option.

This is of course my opinion - not a conclusion or end all to the discussion of the mod - I'm just tossing out ideas too. :)

What do you think?

All of that's fair enough really, I think I was getting to drawn into the expansion of the Tribes 2 idea. Oh well :>

On a lighter note - defence could react to force powered flag cappers with motion detectors, or those advanced sensor systems I suggested, or Jedi of their own, but anyway.

I agree that the vehicles would be too difficult, I suppose I was dreaming of a possible future StarWars game in that vein...*sigh*

The inventory station idea *is* good, but opens up for a great deal of abuse, the combination of certain force powers and weapons is potentially overbalancing, and that was what I wished to avoid. I would also avoid the "default powers eveyone gets" idea too - it's nice, but when force powers are limited you have to make a tactical choice: Do you want access to more styles/better defence, or punch that extra level of force see in since you tend to use guns anyway? That was the original idea behind the force power allocation, and I think it should be kept "as is".

I don't think the addition of armour types leads to class restrictions, I was certainly not saying as much in previous posts, and I think the idea of restricting a few weapons by armour type has merit: It would be a nice way of controlling heavy repeater abuse (if eveyone could have one, don't you think you'd see it used EVEN more?) by forcing them to at least adopt a slower pace (medium armour). This is in no way a class restrction, just a weapon-by-armour restriction, as Tribes 2 does with things like the Rocket launcher, the Fusion Morter and others.

And as for the "end" of this discussion, we could be at this till the sun goes red giant on us and we still won't necessarily get the mod made :> It's fun throwing ideas around.

but if u dich the armor thing it would just be a regular ffa and ctf game i like the armor thing and the gun bunnies and jedi shindig

pluse if u do the tribes mod it is going to have a class thing invalved no matter what u do or it will be a regular ffa/ctf game so i stick to armor and gun bunnies and jedi shindig

the indoor outdoor mapping thing how are u going to have a good sniping spot indoors. but if u make maps like bespin streets u will be allright. thats for the guys that are snipers. but i think it would be cool to have some cool indoor maps as well

and the vehicles i say drop cuz it would be to hard no that i thin aboot it

and why not have more then 2 teams? i think it would be cool to see more then 2 teams on the feald at the same time.

Yom

that is what tribes is about and it would not be the same if u did not have some sort of class thing going on

of corse i am right i am all ways right

Yom

P.S. plez excuse my big ego

What would be cool map is to have a battle field with crashed ships and blown up atst and other vehicle wreaks to hide behind but that would be an outdoor map and as u said that the Q3 engine is not that great with outdoor stuff

Yom

What would be cool

is to have it were u can use force grip on objects and throw them at the enemy

for example ave a box of to the side and a guy walks in and pic the box up and throw it at his head to get him on his back then shot him while he is down

not just cool for this mod but for other mods as well

Archived