Home

GeForce2 MX users..

Ronald McDonald

1ghz

512 ram

sblive

gforce 2 mx 400

win 2k

I have no complaints, with the exception of the swamp in SP I get crap for framerates there so I turn all the detail down for that map, other than that it works great in both SP and MP with high detail on and running 1024x768.

Now if only I could get sound to work during the cinematics in SP I would be happy, the cutscenes with the game engine are fine, but not the cinematics LOL.

AMD 1-ghz (but runn at 750mhz due to memory is only PC100)

512 ram

Win -ME

Geforce 2 mx 400 64 bit

I run it at 1024x768. 32-bit but no dynamic shadows ( I mean the one that you see the silouete of the caracters on the floor) If i use that is gets slow.

Also I had to go to 800 x 600 at the swamp level.

but in general I'm quite satisfied with it.

Master-Josue

:dsaber:

I got GeForce 2 MX

a P4 at 1.4Ghz

384 RD Ram (fastess ram there is, also the most expansive)

I only saw ONE problem with JK2 and the GeForce2.

All mirror effects did not work.

That would explain when i was puzzled and ran into a blank wall. It was the part where Kyle was reflected on a mirror and Desann was seen to be behind him. :rolleyes:

2 machines to list here:

Pentium 2 400 Mhz

Geforce 2MX 32Mb

256Mb PC100 RAM

SBLive 5.1

Win98SE

Running on moderate settings in SP the game ran OK until the Artus mines, at which point the sky caused some severe slowdown. I then moved to the second machine which I will get to. In MP I use the detail levels on fastest, and get an acceptable, but not impressive framerate (it is playable, but looks worse than I am accustomed)

Second machine:

AMD 14.GHz Thunderbird

Geforce 2 MX400 64mb

256Mb DDR RAM

SBLive 5.1

Win98SE

As you can see there are only minor (:p) differences between the two, but the extra processor power (and maybe the extra 32mb on the graphics card) made an enormous difference on the Artus mines entrance (went from sluggish to wheeeeeee). I use quite high settings (max I believe) for SP, but have a couple of settings reduced in MP (due to problems with map changing, long story and irrelevant here I think).

Athlon XP 1.6 Ghz

GeForce 2 MX 64 Mb with 23.11 drivers

256 Mb RAM

61 Gb harddrive

Windows 98 SE

DirectX 8.1

Quake 3 engine games run and look great for me. Except for the constant freezing in JK2, the game is awesome. My only problem is that other engine games either look different or don't run Quake 1 and Quake 2 engine games, Hexen II and Heretic II respectively, are too dark and I don't see anything. On top of that, Diablo II and Unreal Tournament don't even run for me :(

P3 450

128 MB ram

GeForce 2 MX (duh) using the most recent drivers

20 gig HD

Windows 98 SE

Latest version of DirectX

I honestly don't have any problems with JO other than slight pauses now and then when I'm about to enter a room with an assload of Stormtroopers or something. And obviously the game doesn't run like greased lightning on my dated system. Otherwise no complaints. All the effects work ok too.

Demolisher: Diablo II and UT both run rather well for me? Especially UT.

AMD A XP 1.7

128 SDRAM

winXP

GeForce 2 Mx 200

runs fine and fast even at highest settings. mirror as well as smoke effects are perfect.

only slowed down at the swamp level, BUT putting it to a lower res like 640x480 made it go even faster than 1024 on previous stages.

xp 1700

256 ddr

geforce2 mx400 tv

win2k

jk2 runs like a turkey dipped in petrol and set alight

only slows down ever so slightly when i record demos, apart from that, what the turkey said

oh, and wang.

I was going to buy a GeForce2 MX card, and when I went to look at the prices I see that they are all made by different companies and cost more or less. Can someone tell me what the difference between the companies that make it is and such?

I also saw that some are AGP or PCI. What do those two things mean?

Some cards also said, for example, "Siig 64MB AGP Video Card with nVidia's Geforce2 MX-400 3D Chip," does this mean, does it bring two cards or what?

Im extremely confused, if anyone could explain this to me I'd appreciate it.

ok for the agp and pci part, they are 2 different ways that your motherboard is set up, an agp video card wont work if u try to put it in a pci type motherboard, so make sure which one u have first thats very important cuz it either wont fit into ur motherboard or wont work unless u have the right one... agp is usually a little more expensize and is a bit faster than pci...but like i said u cant use an agp if ur motherboard is set up for a pci...

and as for the different names and stuff....the 64mb is how many megs the card is...the more megs the better, 64 is the max for a geforce2, and mx400 im not quite sure what that is but its better to have the 400 or higher..... for a decent geforce2 vid card look for one thats priced around 80-100 bucks (depending on weather its agp or pci and what company the price will vary) , some companies have them priced at up to 300 dollars or more... though they may be a bit better in performance in some areas u probably wont notice a difference between one of them and a 100 dollar card, so ur best bet would be the 80-100 dollar one.....some decent names off the top of my head are "xtasy" and "verto" there are alot of different ones though....

so just make sure u know weather u have a pci or agp set up on ur motherboard and keep in mind the higher the number is usally better, although i think the mx400 is the highest the geforce2 goes up to and 64 mb is the maximum of a geforce2....

Hey Ronald, you got yourself SD RAM there... thats fine for now just make sure you have at least 128 megs

My god man, get yourself a video card, at least a Geforce2 mx 400, listen not to the others in this forum they speak in aus dollars :D

AGP and PCI are two totally different shaped/sized sockets on your motherboard where you plug various cards in. AGP is graphics only, PCI supports just about anything (eg. network card, sound, yada yada...)

The motherboard you currently have does not have an AGP slot on it so make sure, if you are going to purchase a video card, that it's a PCI... also make sure theres a free slot in there to plug it into... easy enough to find out. THe quickest way to describe them is that an AGP slot it brownish (almost always) and PCI fawnish white (almost always). Make sure there is a free PCI there.

you say:

Some cards also said, for example, "Siig 64MB AGP Video Card with nVidia's Geforce2 MX-400 3D Chip," does this mean, does it bring two cards or what?

There are a great deal of people who manufacture 3D cards, they don't go designing their own graphics processor every time the release a new card, instead they use ones already designed... the leaders in the the industry would be NVidia (Geforce series), ATI (rage, radeion, etc), and erm, so on... All models using the same chip perform "almost" the same, but there are the few (e.g. winfast) who make it all work better than others.

Oh **** look at the time, cya

1.4ghz Tbird @1523mhz

64mb Hercules GeForce2 MX

23.11 Detonator Drivers

KR7A-Raid

512mb pc2700

I play in 1024 @ 16bpp, with all the detail settings to their best. I always have at least 50fps, typically 70-80 in 3rd person and about 90 in first person. Apart from the ridiculous swamp level where all the rain and fogging kills the frame rate :(

Still, I couldn't resist the urge to upgrade to a Gainward GF4 Ti4400, and as soon as they send me a card that works and doesn't cover my screen with garbage when running a 3D application I'll be a very happy chappy.

Specs:

Intel P4 1.4G

256MB

60G HD @ 10000 Rpms

GeForce2 MX w/64MB with 28.32 drivers (they work fine darn it.)

DirectX8.1

On board cheapo intel sound (beats a turntable though.)

384K [downstream] (give or take) Cable via Chello (Dutch FYI)

Graphic: L-O-N-G load times (3-5minutes!!!!!) while running 1024*768 @ 32-bit. Same with 16-bit. I generally run at 800*600*32 (ugh!) It is at least playable and the load times are in seconds, not minutes as above.

MP problems: Crashing between levels in CTF, CTY, and FFA. No problems EVER with Holocron, Duel, or Jedi Master.

Still debating on patching up to current with all the slagging of the patch in this forum. Gameplay (in my opinion) did not need patching (IE force powers, heavy stance etc etc.) The real issues should have been addressed, like the cheap cheats (invisibility, "death" lying, and so on.) Anyooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Do or do not, there is no try

Hawkeye :lsduel:

AGP and PCI?

AGP is the brown slot on your motherboard.

PCI is the white slots on your motherboard.

AGP 2.0 4X runs at around 66x4, 128 bit = 4.2 GB/sec max thoroughput.

PCI runs at 33 MHz, 32 bit = 132 MB/sec max thoroughput.

While the differences may seem immense, this is purely theoretical max thoroughput anyway, and the chances are that only fast DDR cards would be severely limited by a PCI slot.

If your board has an AGP port, then you should get an AGP card. For the most part they are cheaper than PCI cards anyhow.

Archived