Home

error after new patch

hepcat007

after installing new patch, when i join a multi-player game i get the error message that says " Error user interface version 6 expected version 7" ive installed the patch and can't figure it out. any suggestions would be appreciated.

I had this same problem a few moments ago... I checked the info on the server that wouldn't connect, and it said it was version 1.03? Or does the 'Server Info' button for some mysterious reason show MY version number? LOL

Finally found out the problem: It's because the servers aren't upgraded to 1.03. It doesn't have anything to do with the Client itself. The only way to find a server that you can play on is to click on a server, and then click Server Info to find out which version they're using. Once I found one that was 1.03, and connected just fine.

Just give it some time, the patch just came out, and not a lot of servers are upgraded yet.

Ok, this pisses me off so friggin' badly. Why the hell do they make a patch that isn't backwards compatible in multiplayer?

WTF? Is it really so hard to query the server and just operate under those rules while playing there? I'm a programmer, I write software for a living, and we go to a lot of effort to make sure our stuff is backwards compatible. It's really not all that difficult. The worst thing in the world they can do is issue a patch that makes your game effectively stop working. What 2 year old retarded monkey thought up that one?

(insert 3 pages of semi-coherent ranting and raving)

-The Souljourner

Like you are a smart programmer...

You are like one of those people who diss Windows.

Go ahead and write a program yourself.

Anyways, the multiplayer won't be compatible because they have changed aspects of it (combat, saber etc.).

At least they have made the saved games compatible.

Some games don't even do that with patches.

We are lucky.

It's quite normal for a game patch (particularly with FPSs) to prevent users with different versions from playing on the same servers. This is because gameplay is often tweaked at the the same time as other things.

oh this is fun.....heres one for ya guyz and just like raven to do things half assed...i have a server that runs on linux.....they released this patch but they only released it for windows...ummm...to my knowledge 70% of all the game servers run on linux...good luck finding a game till raven stops doing this half ass and releases the patch for all the linux servers..

Originally posted by Gummy

Like you are a smart programmer...

You are like one of those people who diss Windows.

Go ahead and write a program yourself.

Anyways, the multiplayer won't be compatible because they have changed aspects of it (combat, saber etc.).

At least they have made the saved games compatible.

Some games don't even do that with patches.

We are lucky.

windows sucks;P linux^_^

Every time I get into a patched server and start to play, no less than a minute into game play it freezes. Has anyone had that error, I know people are saying they freeze at program start, but mine is without fail 1 minute after gameplay starts!! WTF????:confused:

You know what I dont get, apparently there is still MANY servers out there that are not patched....how do you release an offical game patch with no way to uninstall it!!!! I am totally hosed for this freaking game MP! Man did someone really drop the f'ing ball!!:swear:

Its standard practice to not offer uninstall options, dunno why.

Anyway, usually what q3 engine games do to upgrade is replace the main executeable files (eg quake3.exe, jedioutcast.exe, jk2sp.exe, jk2mp.exe) and add a new resources file for the game to read its base files from (assets2.pk3 in the gamedata/base directory).

To unpatch the game, you need to have a copy of the exes before they were patched (that can be currently found on the jk2 cd as they are the ones used before this current patch). Then, rename the files in your gamedata directory where you installed jk2 to jk2sp.new and jk2mp.new instead of .exe, copy the 2 exes from your cd to the gamedata directory where you installed jk2, and rename assets2.pk3 to assets2.pk3-new

The game should now think it is unpatched.

To repatch it, reverse the procedure:

remove jk2sp.exe and jk2mp.exe from your installed directory, rename the jk2sp.new and jk2mp.new to jk2sp.exe and jk2mp.exe again, and rename the assets2.pk3-new to assets2.pk3.

The game should now think it is patched.

NOTE: none of this is guaranteed to work as I've not tested it, but this procedure works on Quake3 so hopefully should work on jk2.

For future updates I suggest copying jk2sp.exe and jk2mp.exe to an "old" directory before installing the patch.

I was having other issues involving the single player game. After the patch the gameplay became choppy with to many glitches.

I uninstalled the game and deleted the "Star Wars JK2 Jedi Outcast" folder. I did a fresh install of the game, but left out the stupid patch, and now my game is back to its normal self........:lsduel:

I was having crash problems but I figured it out.(I think).

I had turned on EAX audio (using SB audigy eax board) and I would crash shortly after joining games.Un-installed/re-installed and the same thing happend.Then I turned off eax and no more crashes!

And I think only servers with little saber Icons are 103 servers-but I noticed there are different color saber icons too.Any one know what they all mean?

I too am having the incompatibility problem. What I love however, is reading the immature 10 year olds dissing on Raven as if its their mistake. Grow up people 99% of all game patches are NOT reverse compatible. Frankly I think Raven did an excellent job, and so do most gamers and reviewers. That shows a disctinct immaturity problem on your behalf when you state "lucasarts should drop raven".

I blame this on the "new" gamers that dont remember Force Commander, Rebellion and a slew of other low quality products developed BY lucasarts. Frankly, Lucasarts was developing quite a reputation of relying on the STAR WARS name to sell their low quality products. They had a few distinct quality hits, but theres alot of chaff too. Please research your facts before denouncing Raven who has done a quality job and supporting a company (lucasarts) which repeatedly has shown incompetence.

Furthermore, please take a few programming classes (in C+ preferably or even assembler) and really understand what it takes to program. Feel free to foam at the mouth but programming is beyond the reach of 90% of all people who try. It simply requires too much logic and forethought for many. Which is why it really grates on my nerves to hear preteens foaming at the mouth of their own ignorance on reverse compatibility issues. They cannot in most cases write a single script, let alone a simple patch, let alone a game.

So please, please please do the community a favor and not post dimwitted tirades on how "raven sux" because you dont even have a clue what the hell they do. Do you also go off on NASA engineers when something gets delayed in the space program? No because your infantile education does not even come close to what those people know. Have some respect for those who have gone to school 4+ years and whos knowledge in this area suprasses what little you think you know. Notice you never see the people who mod/program add ons for the game never crack on it? Because theyre the ones who really understand the difficulties in trying to please thousands of whiny, fair weathered, pissant customers.

Archived