Home

Raven: A solution to make everyone happy?

NewBJedi

First of all, I personally enjoy all the changes in the new patch - but you have somewhat of a divided community on certain issues - saber style, weapon style, force style, etc.

Why not give the community options to have it whatever way they want - that can be filtered out via the in-game browser, ASE, or GS?

Three rulesets should solve much of this - of course these names are examples:

g_oldweaponstyle

1 = right off the cd.

0 = recent patch.

g_oldforcestyle

1 = right off the cd.

0 = recent patch.

g_oldsaberstyle

1 = right off the cd.

0 = recent patch

Control options:

Jump = kick/flip/jump

Jump = twice = flip kick, once = jump

Plus - whatever else can't be currently changed back - simply add an 'advanced game options section'.

Of course, you don't want to include cheats and bugs back, but that's obvious.

I really commend you for your efforts and the changes for many of us are well welcomed.

I do suggest you highly consider adding options to allow the community to take control of what they want to do with these changes.

I believe this way you'll have a lot of happy customers from both sides of the arguments.

:)

I've seen things like this sugested before in other games when a patch addressed balance issues.

As far as I know, it's never happend before. I'd hazzard a guess that doing so would be too time/resource intenstive to be worth it.

For one thing, nothing you will do will make everyone happy. And giving that many options may very well cause a even greater server split.

You'd have servers with new sabers, old guns, new force, old flip kick. Old sabers, new guns, new force, old flip kick... I think you get the point.

It seems to me, that the only people with real issues with the patch are CTF types, and that's something that Raven could fix fairly easily without making any change to how sabers work.

All the so called saberest who don't like the patch seem to be doing more whining then anything, because their favoret one hit kill move has been changed.

And there is the question of is it worth it to fix the issues that the CTF/Guners have with this game. Someone said that the one ladder had 64 teams of 10 people each, and they wouldn't be upgrading to the new patch. Well to be honest with you 640 people isn't anywhere nearly enough to bother putting in any serrious work. It's very possable that Raven has decided that the vast majorty of the players of this game are saberest/duelist, who use guns rarely, so they'll cater to that majorty. The hard core gunners/ctf types won't be happy about this, but that's how life is some times.

I could be wrong about that, maybe the gunners are the majorty, or maybe there isn't a majorty. I personaly would be surprised if Raven doesn't do something to fix the gun issue in JK2 after the patch, but that doesn't mean they will take it back to where it was.

Someone said that it was the gunners who'd be playing this game 3 years from now, and they should be the ones that Raven wories about most. This I highly doubt, NF Sabers was the game of choice for JK for as long as I can remember, you could always find a game on the zone for NF sabers, and in BSC NF Sabers was the biggest part of the WoW. This is Jedi Knight, the game lives and dies by the saber and not the gun.

Good points.

Another simple solution is for Raven to consult the unhappy competition groups and develop a 'competition' mode that would satisfy them for ladders.

That would save having to do all those options and splitting things up, yes?

Like they are doing for Tribes 2 - Base ++ - it'll eventually become the official T2 competition 'mod/mode'.

The same could be done for JK2.

If Raven wishes to consult the competition community, I'm sure they could and appeal to them without losing everything this patch has offered.

Is that more viable?

That sounds quite reasonable, provided that Raven has a real interest in the competive comunity, I'm not saying they don't, but it is a factor to consider.

I would say, from a non programer stance, (i.e. I have no real clue how hard/easy this would be to do). The best way to do it is something like you sugested. But with out a seperate mode of play.

I would assume it would be fairly easy to alter the rate at which ammo respawns on a given map or mode of play. So they could increase the speed that ammo respawns on CTF/CTY maps. Or perhaps just in CTF/CTY games. Jedi Master and Holocron games seem to have different "rules" then the rest do.

Something else to consider... Is that many of the issues people have with this patch seem to be missconceptions. For example Raven said they didn't change the speed of the medium stance, but serveral people are commenting/whinning about how Raven slowed down the med stance. Many of the things people are whinning about, are simply not true, they just think it is. Another example, is Raven did Nothing to change the damage from Med/Light swings... But serveral people seem to think they did. Personaly I'll take Ravens word on it before I'll believe what someone says after a few hours of play testing.

I can't help wonder if Raven did it like they did, with the idea of further tweaks in mind... They had it at X with the release, then moved it to Y, with the patch, now they'll see what everyone thinks of Y after a week or so, and the move it "half way" between X and Y which should be where it will make most of the people happy. I guess another way of saying it, is they wanted to set the bounderies, and then fine tune it with in those bounderies.

Originally posted by Vanor

All the so called saberest who don't like the patch seem to be doing more whining then anything, because their favoret one hit kill move has been changed.

While that may be true for some of the saberest whiners that is not true for this saberist whiner. I always thought the DFA move was stupid and i barely ever used it, what bugs me about this patch is the fact they totally destroyed medium stance. And i know many other medium users feel the same way. As for NewBjedi's suggestion i like it, i know it could get complicated having all those different settings but at the very least they need to give us a way to fight with the 1.02 sabers again.

I agree with Deetox.

I use medium stance almost every time.

I use low stance only for killing hardly injured guys, and strong stance only for countering DFA spammers/strong stance only users.

I really can't understand where are the interest/strategy/fun in using DFA again and again.

It's amazing how most of the whiners about the saber-fighting changes with this patch are the DFA and KICK lamer-spammers who were too comfortable with thier skill-less fragging sprees!:rolleyes::p -GO HOME AND CRY TO MOMMA!

---All these peeps were complaining about the MP saber fighting not being like SP and now they're whining because the MP is like SP now. I just don't freakin' get it!?:confused:

-They got thier wish , now what the fack is the damnproblem here!??

:confused::rolleyes:

i was thinking about how they might make everyone happy with the saber styles, personally i am so happy that the single player stances are in multiplayer now but then some people complain about it and don't like it...

How about just having 5 stances? Since in (1.02) multiplayer, the Lite and Medium stances seem to be (at least i think so) the 'hidden' stances in single player that the AI use, why not just add them all in?

Actually, I'd like to say I was a red saberist, but i rarely used DFA on purpose, and certainly NEVER to the excess that I did see players whore the move. Personally, I used the red saber stance because it was the only one I felt comfortable with, since I could more or less predict where the strikes were going. I could never quite predict what move was next with blue or yellow, and that lack of control pissed me off something rotten.

Archived