Home

The patch is great. Patience is your ally.

Halowse

I think the patch is spot on. Sure it took a whole map cycle to get used to the new sabre moves, but within the hour I was right back on the top of the score list.

IMO, the new sabre interface is much better than it was before, there is a lot more control and it seems easier to pull off a move as intended. Pre-patch sabre fights were a lot of luck for all but the most studied players, and even then many times I could kill a player (or be killed) even though the sabre clearly missed or only nicked at the end of a swing. Now, when one is cut down with a sabre, you actually can see why...

I am a player that switches stances constantly, and I think the rebalancing works pretty damn good. I guess it would be different if I only used one stance and one move over and over again, but for any player who actually uses all the moves availabe, the new patch makes the 3 stances' roles in combat much better defined and far easier to control.

I do not understand why people think that the sabres block to easiliy now... they seemed marginally improved, but I can still land many of my blows as intended.

As for the other "nerfs", they all seem to make sense to me. The guns were being used as secondary only pre-patch, now they have balance. The force powers are more subtle now, although I never had a problem beating a "drain whore" before. The grip-n-run WAS stupid. All and all, the force powers are better balanced now, it is a lot harder for the average e-tard to show up and just whore out one power.

The only thing I can find wrong with the game now is the way people can pull-n-sabre sweep with a script. I was on a server last night and one guy did nothing but this move over and over. Sure, it is counterable to a degree, but it is still lame. He got 19 kills in 11 minutes doing nothing but, I got 14 in 9 minutes fighting like a man. Whatever.

Originally posted by Halowse

BTW, where is a good sabre-moves guide on the net? I have learned a lot of the new sabre moves intuitively, but I would love to see an "official" list.

You mught just have to wait on that one, seeing the whole game is different I think people will have to rewrite they're guides to include the new changes.

I agree with the points made towards the force, and gun issues addressed in the patch, but I feel that the saber (and keep in mind this is after playing multi with it for longer than a hour) is now worse then it was before. Granted, I like the fact that they made the light stance more like it should be, fast, but in doing so, they made the medium, and even the heavy stance worse than before. The medium, while it used to be a good all round stance to use, with decent speed, and decent hitting power, has been slowed down to the speed of pre-patch heavy, which makes it not worth the damage it causes. What they did with heavy, while fixing the DFA stuff, is even worse. They slowed down it expontially, making it all but useless against the light stance, or even the medium.

Also, the amount of blocking is horrendous. While I think it's great for duels, when that amount of blocking is applied to FFA, and other such maps where you don't want to/can't afford to spend three plus minutes trying to defeat one person, it doesn't work.

Aside from those points, I think the patch is great, but they really messed up the most unique aspect of the game, IMHO.

I have mixed feelings towards the patch, and since it seems we have to justify how long we've played it, around 3 hours. I love the new grip effect. I like what they did with light stance, and I do like how they did DFA. I also like the damage reduction caused from getting slightly knicked with the tip of the lightsaber.

But for lightsaber fighting, while before it was more of an art of hitting when the opponent was open, it does seem more of random swinging and luck. I do agree that medium stance has been slowned almost to the point of uneffectiveness, and heavy stance now is so slow that a blind monkey using a baseball bat could hit someone before or after they swing.

I also do not like how they changed or addressed the medium stance spin, it now is extremely difficult to get off in an actual fight.

I think all that is needed is to revert the medium and heavy stance to prepatch status. I loved how the saber fights were before. Newbies who just charged and attacked stood now chance, and the people who posed challenges were those with a patient, and thought out plan. It seems to me now that the mindless charging is now almost equal to experienced playing.

Just my tree-fitty.

AD

Just played using the patch - significantly different to pre-patch. Contrary to everyone else - i feel medium stance is a whole lot faster, although it doesn't seem like I'm landing as many blows as I used to (I hear the scream but it doesn't seem like they lose health).

The result of this is that I have stopped winning sabre fights because I now suck at this. The pattern that most my duels go in seem to be getting the opponent down a fair bit - and then losing once they get all defensive.

All that I learned while I played JK these past few weeks has had to be thrown out, and in it's place is a richer fighting system, in my opinion. I feel the need to have to time every single slash - a well placed sabre throw can end the duel real quick :). Also, it seems to promote the use of switching stances during the duel, as one set of moves if often not enough to get you through.

Anyway - I like the patch, it's a new challenge to overcome.

(nb. i haven't run into any pull/sweep people yet)

This is agreat patch, and this thread needs to stay bumped for people who want to enjoy the patch and learn how to use it best.

A great game is now even greater!

Call me a fanboy if you want. But I am just pukin sick of these crybabys who infest game forums like these. 1% of the players are here crying, while the other 99& are enjoying the patch.

Originally posted by nattydred

Call me a fanboy if you want. But I am just pukin sick of these crybabys who infest game forums like these. 1% of the players are here crying, while the other 99& are enjoying the patch.

I totally agree: Patch = Good (exactly what this game needed)

Its funny how the 1% happen to be the "loudest" crybabies. The whiners make it seem like the majority of people playing don't like the patch (when in fact, most players are quite happy with 1.03).

People who love the patch are playing (not flaming the forums).

Just a thought

DA :)

You are dead right on Darkagent!

Just look at the polls, not how many anti patch threads are on page 1.

3 of the 4 polls I have seen show the patch is liked by 3 to 1! A smash hit by far.

The other poll asked for only patch haters to post, and even biased like that it was still 50/50.

Archived