Home

It's spelle D-U-E-L, not D-U-A-L!!!

-=VIB=- Wang

Duel - A prearranged, formal combat between two persons, usually fought to settle a point of honor.

Dual - Composed of two usually like or complementary parts; double

If you still don't understand, here is a sentence for each!

He pulled out his sword, I pulled out mine, and we proceeded to DUEL!

When Anakin picks up DUAL lightsabers in Attack of the Clones, that was definitely my favorite part.

If you still don't get it, well, you are SOL.

Originally posted by Abom|nation

I could complain about the fact you forgot your u's in honour and favourite, but I won't.

Good that you didn't complain, b/c I live in America, not England. Here it's spelled H-O-N-O-R and F-A-V-O-R-I-T-E

Kinda like C-O-L-O-R

Originally posted by Patton

I won't completely obliterate all of Europe once again with mere words, but I will say this: color and favorite makes much more sense than colour and favourite, from a linguistic standpoint.

Not if you have compulsory french from the age of 7.:(

Originally posted by Kuroshi

I'd like to make a motion to create a new country in which the word 'Duel' shall be spelled 'Dual'.

But then you would have sentences like - I used dual lightsabers in my dual!

Or, if you had 2 duels, you would say somehting like - I had dual duals.

Originally posted by -=VIB=- Wang

Or, if you had 2 duels, you would say somehting like - I had dual duals.

Dual duals? Jar-Jar, is that you? :D

Actually, a dual dual implies that you had simultaneous duals, as opposed to what you really meant, which was two duals...

Originally posted by Patton

I won't completely obliterate all of Europe once again with mere words, but I will say this: color and favorite makes much more sense than colour and favourite, from a linguistic standpoint.

Actually color makes no languistic sense as its pronounced colour (compare with flour) .. unless americans spell flour as flor. :p:D

I wouldn't mind seeing dual light sabers in jk2 though :)

Originally posted by Bambers

Actually color makes no languistic sense as its pronounced colour (compare with flour) .. unless americans spell flour as flor. :p:D

I wouldn't mind seeing dual light sabers in jk2 though :)

In America, flour is pronounced with like flower, so your example doesn't quite follow. I do however, wonder how we Americans began spelling differently and speaking differently than the Brits.

In the US it's color, not colour, saber, not sabre, blah blah blah, and its pronounced exactly the same way as far as I can tell, we know! And we drive on a different side of the road than Brits (and the steering wheel is on the opposite side IN the car), and we don't use the meteric system (well, not as much, officially). And the rest of the world plays "football" what we call "soccer" and we have our own version of football that's quite different.

But who cares....

As long as we're complaining, it's "Loser" (as in, "what a sore Loser") not "looser" (as in, my bowels were looser after ingesting the bottle of ex-lax).

And it's "Strong Stance" (or Style), not "Heavy." ; )

actualy in the 70's an act was passed in congress that made the Liter and Gram official standards in the United States, but no one seems to have noticed, were still on imperial measurements for linear values

while we're on spelling, its Through, not Thru

and they're not Donuts, they are Doughnaughts!

if you complain about my capitalization or punctuation (or lack thereof), well, e.e. cummings didnt either =P

You know I'm a Canadian who lives in the States, so I kind of change depending on the time of day, but you know what doesn't make sense? The English pronunciation of the word lieutenant--where exactly does THAT come from? (pronounced like leftenant for those who don't know...)

Originally posted by GreyJedi

I do however, wonder how we Americans began spelling differently and speaking differently than the Brits.

Natural evolution and diversification of methods of communication, dear fellow :p;)

(I'll write something serious if you're really interested,

but not until later today - it's nearly 2am here :D)

BTW, why do you spell your 'nick the British way? ('Grey') :confused:

[Edit]

Oh God, don't get me started on theorising why we say that word like we do... I hate "leftenant" myself - it seems like an insult to the French... Maybe that's just me :D

I do have a theory, if anyone's interested... :):D:p

Originally posted by Leagle

Which bit?

You spelt your location wrong, btw. It should be :Some American place. Not : .

SpelT? Is that correct in Britain? It's nice to know some brits still speek like Tolkien, though he was South African....

And I always spell it grEy.

Archived