Home

what is the correct path for sounds?

FlashFearless

Hello

When setting the sound for various sound-playing entities (fxrunner and func_train) I've tried just about every path i could conceive of and I'm getting a "could not find" error.

for example

sounds/directory1/directory2/sound.wav didn't work

so I tried

directory1/directory2/sound.wav

then

sounds/directory1/directory2/sound

so on and so forth.

Can anybody tell me what the correct path format is so I can eliminate that portion of my troubleshooting?

thanks in advance

Have you extracted the files you want (not fxFile - just sound) from the assets0.pak? I extract mine to the maps folder. When extracted, the wavs will be in .../sounds/folder/folder/name.wav where the .../ is the pathing from the harddrive.

An example is a fan noise I placed in the map I'm making now. I used bespin_fan.wav (name might be a little off), which I'd extracted from assets0.pak into the maps folder (where my compiled bsp sits) and gave it the key name of "noise" and value of "sounds/ambient/bespin/bespin_fan.wav"

Worked like a champ.

I dont really know if you have to extract the files you want to use or not, I just do it anyways and have done so for a long time now.

FxRunners dont come with sounds, either, at least none that I've used ever have.

You should be able to use a value of sounds/dir1/dir2/filename.wav... I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

And you don't need to necessarily extract the assets pk3s, it just prevents you from needing to open WinZIP every time you want to see what's in there. :)

Well, back in the day sounds weren't all that great. So I got in the habit of utilizing wavs from other apps and manually creating the paths, then I'd pak it all up. So I guess you could say it's a learned behavior. :)

Archived