Home

Saberflare...

Jedi Howell

It is a good idea and it is done very well, but a saber has no flare. When you watch the films the saber makes green/red/blue light, but only strong lightsources like the sun creates this kind of flare.

I respect your work, really, I just think it doesn't fit to the saber.

I think your best bet at studying saber clashes would be near the end of Episode 1. There are both shots from close-, mid- and long-range of the saber clashes, and I'm pretty sure none of them cause lens flares.

Also, for an ingame feel, the current lens flares are all wrong. Lens flares with several circles (or hexagons/octagons depending on the lens) are just that: Reflactions created inside a camera lens. When was the last time you looked at the sun and saw little circles?

The human eye creates lens flares too, but they are more like an outwards blur from the center of the lightsource, kinda like little stars. The original Unreal had several lightsources who were a prime example of lens flares generated by a human eye rather than a camera. From a technical standpoint, the lens flares are an interesting accomplishment, but seeing as the idea is that you should feel you're the jedi, and not someone controlling the jedi from a camera that hovers behind him, they feel a little out of place.

I'm pretty sure none of them cause lens flares.

Actually in TPM the sabers do have lens flares, I saw a documentry (however short) about using... I beleive it was final cut pro?... to add lens flares to the sabers.

Archived