Home

Possible Linux Port???

JaseP

I posted this originally in the Game Feedback Forum, but it didn't seem to get much response:

I know this game has a Linux dedicated server, but is there any possibility of a Linux port in the future? Many Quake 3 based games have Linux ports, and it would be good to get one for JK2. Linux usually boats higher frame rates for similar hardware, and tends to be more stable. More and more people are switching to Linux for their desktop needs,... especially with the "spyware" that Microshaft has put into its latest incarnation of their OS software, Windoze XPee. A Linux port also puts you one step closer to a PS2 port as the PS2 uses a linux architecture for its core OS, if I'm not mistaken (Sony is putting out a Linux kit for the PS2, which allows PS2 users to use their machine as a Linux computer).

I would tie up my telephone line for a week just to get a Linux point release for this game. It runs slow as hell in Windoze. I would probably buy the game again if I had to, just to get a Linux client.

By the way, RtCW was also based on the Quake 3 engine and took only a few months to port. Part of my motivation behind buying JK2 as opposed to another game was that it runs well under Transgaming's WineX 2.0 for Linux, a 4 out of posible 5 (WineX is a psuedo emulation of a windozes DirectX environment for Linux machines). When I finally go about getting WineX, when I get a kick butt machine, I want to have some games on it that will also kick butt.

I dont think they will, but it runs mighty fine with WineX (make sure to not install it tho, just copy the GameData directory... this however, makes the patch a little uh.. difficult to install... i had to copy the post-patch files from my windows install).

Future patch incompatibility,... All the more reason to have a Linux port. If Castle Wolfenstein can have one,... there is no reason why JK2 shouldn't have one. There are more gamers who would like to play a native JK2 on their Linux boxes than would like to play a more traditional shooter like RtCW. A port to Linux just wouldn't take that long.

Linux has advantages in terms of memory and disk handling. Linux tends to be faster and more stable...

Settling for Transgaming's WineX compatibility means taking a continuous back seat to Windoze for growing number of Linux users.

I would LOVE a native linux port!

But if they don't make one (boo) then i guess we need to settle for WineX.

I'm just saying "its still playable"...not justifying it or anything.

But yes, make a linux port. It can't POSSIBLY be that hard. It's based on Quake3.

PS - quake3 runs mightly well on linux. didn't try it in windows, but people say it beats the windows version.

I agree that a Linux port can't possibly be that hard. But WineX is a stop-gap measure to extend the software list of run-able games in Linux.

My version of Quake 3 Arena runs like gangbusters on my lowly AMD 400MHz K6-2, 128 MB RAM w/ 32MB AGP TNT2 M64 graphics, and that's with the trouble of an ALi 1541 chipset on the Motherboard. The only hiccups are when I have a lot of hard disk access to the swap partition. There is no reason why Jedi Knight 2 couldn't duplicate that performance.

I did some rough calculations the other day. It seems that if they had 2 programmers with $60,000/year salaries working for 2 mos. on a conversion, it would cost them about $30,000 after social security taxes are factored in. If the cut from the retail price of the game is 20%, then it would only take 3000 copies of JK2 to justify the conversion. I can think of a lot of Linux users who would whittle down that 3000 copies in about 20 minutes after announcement. I can think of some Linux gamers who would buy extra copies just to show support for a company that releases Linux-native code.

Archived