Home

recorded demos

Lucidique

Best thing I've found with regard to making instructional demos is to have at least two people in the demo, one doing the moves, the other "working the camera".

You could add a third spectator as well, to type in the moves in chat as they are being done, and occasionally join the demo to show moves like the backstab that require a target before you can do the move.

The thing that always impressed me was how SMALL the demo files are, even one 5 or 6 minutes long is under 200KB.

It would be very hard, and probably illegal if one of us made something that could view demos out of JKII. The reason the files are so small is that they are merely a set of instructions that tell the game engine to do this and that at certain times. I'm no expert but doing a proggie that could view demos out of JK would require at least parts of the engine in it, and would thus be illegal.

I remember a quake 2 mod that could edit quake 2 demo's haven't seen anything like that for jk2 though... Now that I think of it, I think the name of the mod was KeyGrip.. correct me if I'm wrong

I have these an a few other commands loaded into a capture.cfg

bind kp_5 cl_avidemo 0 = keypad 5 stops

bind kp_uparrow cl_avidemo 30 = keypad uparrow starts 30fps

Feel free to change the frame rate to whateva you want.

So ive posted several threads about changing camera angles durning the play an avi capture of the demo. So we can get some nice movie stratagy guides. Or maybe some movies and ROQ's. As far as i know. The cg_ThirdpersonAngle # and cg_ThirdPersonRange # are still cheat protected. So I dunno, need some way to enable cheats in demo mode. Or maybe theres some other command I am not aware of that will do this not it cheat mode. the cl_avidemo lags your machine so much that it would be impossible to actually control what your doing while creating the demo. So if anyone ever figures this out or if RAVEN wants to tell me ;)

life would be good

Demos are not a media file format that can be played by a media player. When you record a demo, you record the instructions processed by the game while you're recording. So, the game itself is the only thing that can play back the demo files.

Well I just noticed i cant seem to bring the console up while playin a demo any more at all. And since no1 ever answered my questions about changing camera angles and distance while in demo mode ill assume this is totally impossible now.

Archived