Home

We need manual blocking!

Mikaserla

If you are in the blocking stance(not swinging), you should only

get a block if you hit the attack button at the time when the

other guys saber is about to hit yours. Auto blocking could be kept on for the light stance because it is to fast to react too, but for the medium and heavy stances it would be much better to have manual blocking. It would require timing skill. As of now there is no skill to blocking, it is almost like it is

random or something. We should also be able to force block to deflect blaster shots back at the shooter.

Correction, you'd need JEDI reflexes to block that way. ;) The reason they can do it well in the movie is well - a lightsaber isn't much different then a laser bolt. If they can block a laser bolt, they can block a melee weapon as well. Their instincts tell them ahead of time (before the opponent even swings) where he will swing next, and he'll react accordingly.

As I've said in other threads, namely http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52403 I would rather see blocking controlled through more subtle means. currently, the kind of swing you perform is controlled by a players movement. Why not have the direction the player is moving, and wether or not he's walking or running (or standing still) determine how well he blocks? I mean, if you're running backwards, a lot of your mind is dedicated to making sure you don't trip over your own feet, so naturlly you'll have less mental capacity to fully anticipate when to block. Furthermore, if you add a gradually reduced chance of blocking the further off-center a saber strikes you (center being directly in front of you), you'll put more importance into outmaneuvreing ones opponent. Footwork is as important as your swings in a saber fight.

I think that they should make a block button for sabers only. shot blocking would remain the same but a button would be used to block incoming saber attacks with a certain probability i.e. if you are in heavy stance and block then you can block any saber attack, if you are in med and block then you can block med light and heavy(50%), and if you are in light then you can block light med (50%). gun blocking would remain auto and the saber's med and light damage would be upped a bit (med to maybe 60/55 or so) and light (25/30 or so). this way saber fighting would become more skill and less random blocking. this would also serve to shorten the time it takes to saber people (or lengthen them depending on your/opponent's skill) so that you are not constantly caught saber dueling by gunners who just run in and blow you up. also of course this block can only be used when you have your saber drawn and, are moving/standing still(your blocking would be somewhat lowered), and are facing your opponent to a degree. if your back is turned or you are turned sideways and your opponent attacks from the opposite direction i think it should always hit and maybe for a little more damage (maybe this is where upped damage could be). also it would not be impossible to block this way it would just require a bit of timing and skill (most mp saber fights are conducted in med/heavy and those would be relatively easy to block if you saw it coming). anyways that's my opinion on saber dueling

There is a possibility to enable manual blocking in singleplayer.

It binds the blocking function to a key. When pressing it You will actually trigger the usual autoblocking of the game (as in multiplayer), but the trick is You can't attack while blocking. Here's how to enable it:

Bring console down by pressing the Shift and Tilde (~) key. In console, activate cheat mode by writing HelpUsObi 1 (must use the caps).

In console write: g_saberautoblocking 0 (default is 1 = On).

Still in console write: bind X +block (where X is the key of Your choise).

Load up "The Ladder" (or any other singleplayer duel scenario) and try it out for Yourself.

Cheers

Jellybelly

Archived