Home

boooooooyaaaaaaaa, JKII files section has the WLS map pack uploaded and ready

PurplWulf

OH MAN!

these are some awesome maps :D

I'm gonna have a blast getting my arse kicked on them

but I notice that being a tease must be in Uni's blood cause in at least two of his maps I can see area's that I can't find any way to get to :p

great job guys, these maps make a wonderful addition to the game

the purple one

The maps range from Excellent (Power plant) to good (robot wars) to decent and pretty (Indy) to average (temple) to bland (the completely grey yin/yang map) to poor (the two maps who consisted mainly of grey rock textures) to downright bad (force jump... on a NF server).

Personally, I'm keeping the Indy temple, Wiredlamp HQ, Robot wars, Power plant, star destroyer hangar and old temple on the rotation queue.

The other maps will stay out for the present due to the following reasons (intended as constructive criticism):

Force jump:

It is a very bland map, and seeing as the server is NF duels, it is impossible to navigate, as the players do not have force jump lv. 3

The two maps after battlebots:

They were very bland and nondescript. The rock texture feels overused, and the acid fish (while amusing) feels totally out of place. The second of the two maps (the one with the brown rock texture was the slightly better of the two, but there were some annoying bugs, where a spectator would "bounce" off the bottom door. Overall, the rooms felt too small and claustrophobic, and one of the players complained that the 3rd person camera hit so many walls she got motion sickness.

The yin/yang map:

Again, the textures were very bland. I know the map probably wasn't intended for more than one texture, but the choice of texture to cover the entire map was a poor one. While the architecture is initially interesting, it is generally considered bad game design to make ledges on the top ofr people to jump on, but not leaving a way for them to get down without hurting yourself.

The brown room:

It is basically just a large box. While the textures aren't all that bad, it is still just a box. Also, the scale of it all makes it feel like the players have shrunk. the catwalk was very thick, the doors were inhumanly large and the console was placed too high for a human to operate.

Bespin Pavillion:

It was a tough choice to let this one go, but my vote was overruled by the other players. The main gripes were that shadows consisted of squares (which looks really annoying after a while), that the textures felt blurry, that there were visible seams in some of the walls and that the layout of the level just didn't "feel" right.

the ancient temple:

While we are keeping this map in the rotation, common consensus is that the map feels too empty and open.

The remianing maps were, as previously stated, well received. We will need to play them more before we can point out what we would like to see changed in a possible revision.

Originally posted by Aiee

Force jump:

It is a very bland map, and seeing as the server is NF duels, it is impossible to navigate, as the players do not have force jump lv. 3

Of course you can only play the map with force jump level 3. It was designed for that, so I can totally understand that you removed the map from your server when you only support No Force duels.

Originally posted by Aiee

the ancient temple:

While we are keeping this map in the rotation, common consensus is that the map feels too empty and open.

[/b]

Well, thank Raven! My original plans were to include some plants (grass, trees), but that just looked horrible - some of the models were entirely black and the trees caused strange shadows. Something is wrong with the compiler. Nevertheless, thanks for keeping the map on your server!

Archived