Home

Insert Modeling/import Questions Here!

sithlord-II

Originally posted by sithlord-II

the 6210 means you have done something to the model it does not like ie. delete or add vertices to a model after a skin modifier etc

Just a though .. since im switchin parts from other bodies.. (reborn hood, hip_flaps) could overlayin them on the mesh be causing that error? Cause this is really starting to bug me ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi again...

When I weigh a bunch of vertices to a bone, save my file and reload it, I find that my weighing work has been for nothing as the bones are no longer attached to the mesh. Is there a box somewhere I have to click to rectify this? Perhaps nothing can be done about it?

AllyerstrulyLibrarian

Librarian,

do u get an error from assimilate tellling u that theres weights missing from certain verts? If so.. then dont worry. I had a problem with a specific part of my model that - although I had weighted it - each time I loaded it I need to open the skin modifier and check the weights - otherwsie assimilate wouldnt allow me to build the model.

If your finding that MAx wont let you weight your mesh properly to your bones - then you have a bad stack . Remove the skin modifier, collapse the stack and then reapply it. That should work. Reset X form can also work but may resize your mesh piece back to its originally created size - a problem if you didnt build you model around the skeletan included in the root.xsi files.

Anyway go read the tutorial I wrote.

Ok this time i did the hierarchy first. Then added bones an weighted them. I ran it thru assimilate several times just cause.

What im doing this time is. ShadowTrooper torso/hips/legs/feet Desann's armor . Reborn Head (without cowlbase) , Stormpilot arms/hands. Now alot of these meshs are overlaping a little. But another one I did overlaped also and was able to compile and get in game. This is driving me nuts. If someone wants to looks at the *.max files or something id be happy to e-mail them.

ok, im at the point where u compile/build the glm. I added the gla file, press B, then when i build the car file, it gives me this error (in dos):

-------- D:\games\Star --------

************ ERROR ************

SetQdirFromPath: no 'base' or 'development' in d:\games\star.car

I dun get what's with the d:\games\star DIR, cause i didnt specify it, neither do i have such dir in my comp.

btw, is the forum extremely slow or just me

And I have a nice little printout of your model guide right here space monkey ;)

Well.. i dont know what this error is .. i cant seem to get past it though....

(90 degree skewing OFF)

Loading GLA "models/players/_humanoid/_humanoid.gla"...17278 frames

Grabbed 1 files with 17278 frames

Processing 'd:/base/models/players/_humanoid/root.XSI'

XSI import failed, code = 6211 (file 'd:/base/models/players/_humanoid/root.XSI')

maybe its that 90 degree skewing off.. hrmmmm

nope not that i dont think

heres from the one that acutally compiled.. though it crashes modiew and its way screwed in the game .. :)-------- D:\base\models\players\_humanoid\model.car --------

( Build trigger: "d:\base\models\players\_humanoid\model.car" )

entering d:\base\models\players\_humanoid\model.car

(90 degree skewing OFF)

Loading GLA "models/players/_humanoid/_humanoid.gla"...17278 frames

Grabbed 1 files with 17278 frames

Processing 'd:/base/models/players/_humanoid/root.XSI'

Processing meshes, LOD 0

Processing meshes, LOD 1

(Mesh empty, so total LODs = 1)

Generating model.glm ... ( scale: 0.64 )

Writing MDX/GLM model file...

Building GLM...

Warning: All texture coords on this model are blank!

---------------------

Skin file 'd:/base/models/players/_humanoid/model_default.skin' written

---------------------

Writing GLM...

Mesh File: d:/base/models/players/_humanoid/model.glm

1 LODs

file size: 137040

---------------------

I weighed pretty much everything with 1 except the multiple ones hips, torso, head those i did at .5 The light saber seems to come right outta the models crotch into the ground.. (draws a perfect circle while turning) And the skin is totally wacked.. i think there we only 1 or 2 parts that matched.. but i was just messing around useing other skin peices im sure its not right at all ;)

Im assuming that the models is uvmap'd unwraped an stuff. Though it might need to be redone because of changed body parts and skin mapping. Well.... I look forward to feedback.

Well I guess it was that no more than 4 weighted bones think spacemonkey was talkin about in his tutorial.

Still wondering what this one is.

I'll just add a little more to this very helpfull thread. Thanks for the tutorial Spacermonkey, I've made a lot of progress since you released that. I've managed to get my model into JO!!! After a lot of effort..... :cool: ....

Erm .. just a small question about 3ds max .... After I have loaded a saved mesh, some parts of my model are kind of see-through in that you can't see the outside surface but can see the inside one. There is probably a simple fix for this. Please help me out, its really frustrating as it shows up in the game as well.

The problem is err .. temperamental ... sometimes it appears on one segment of my model and sometimes on another .. quite wierd...

Would greatly appreciate any help .. thanks:D

ok Librarian, I know a simple solution for that problem. Firstly determine which parts are inverted.

You can check this in mod viewer by turning off show double sided faces. Once you know which problems are inverted you can go back into max and fix it.

I guess you've probally weighted your mesh already? well if you happy with it what you can do is now apply an edit mesh modifier to the stack (on the part that appears inverted). Select either faces or polys and then select them all. Scroll down on the menu until u find the flip normals mode. Simply flip all the faces. Export and check it out in modview. This should correct the problem.

You could probally use reset X form too, but that might cause problems and re sizing issues.

I believe this problem (inverted faces in jk2) occurs from mirroring parts of your mesh.

Originally posted by DarthCobra

Well I guess it was that no more than 4 weighted bones think spacemonkey was talkin about in his tutorial.

Still wondering what this one is.

your using models from raven right? I'm not certain of a solution but you may have to uvw map the models again.

spacemonky i´ve already send you a e-mail but maybe its faster to ask the question here

if the model works fine in MODView does this mean that the model 100% works ingame?

because i just have the demo and there is moding not allowed :( (like q3-demo)

so i just by jk2 if i´m sure the model will work without crashing the game

Ok this is totally driving me nuts. I have altered about 5 of ravens models into new models. Got them into the game. But this weighting things is driving me nuts. Im assuming its weighting cant think of anything eles. When the models are viewed in modviewer, it initally looks fine, until i play the animations. then the arms legs and torso are almost free floating ive reweight'd and relink and redone them so many times i cant stand it anymore. If anyone can help or if someone would let me email them one of em to look at an save me i would be most greatful.

if themodel works in modview technically it should work okay ingame

only worry is having it all pathed right in a pk3, etc

:)

and having all the cfg or bot files rdy

and as for altering the models to put it ingame, cobra, its hard to say what is happening with your models, as what it really depends upon is the skeletal weighting moreso than the links, insome respects....

It works in the game also. But it just looks terrible none of the limbs go where they are suppose to. Everything is weighted im assuming its weighted wrong. Could one of you guys go into more detail as to how you weighted your models? Or maybe take a look at a couple of these.

jou.. thats nice to hear .. because i hate to seperate the models and so i let my model in one pice(hey if i want to throw away my model there are easyer ways than cutting it into thousends of pices.. :mad: )

but because spacemonky wrote in his tutorial that it is necessary to seperate your model i was not sure (but i already thought so)

heres a pic of the model.. for those who love pictures ;)

klickme

wheni get a chance i will post up some quick images for how i set up my model(s) for ingame, with the vertex weighting

the key part to start with is that you build your model around the skeleton, not vice versa - this may cause deformity problems (ie. have your model setup in the base pose the kyle or stormtrooper skellies use)

second, the skeletal setup basically follows intuitively from how the skeleton is laid out - if you overlay your mesh on top of the skeleton, the bones pretty much lay at the points they should be weighted to

Well i started with a striped skeleton and tags.. Then i merged the model ontop of it an resized. They look pretty identical to the stormtrooper and kyle xsi examples.. Far as aligning the skeleton. What I did was use modview and stole the bones for each body part from the various models. Set the heirarchy for the mesh and the bones. Then to apply weights I just grabbed the envelope gizmo and stretched both levers/branches whatever they are refered to as. out over the mesh on the bones i thought might be best suited for weights. The colors varies from bright red to orange to yellow and blue. Originally I just used the paint weight and 1.0 and .5 weight settings. I dont know if there are very spefic bones that are to be weighted. Or if this envelope gizmo should be done a certian way on each one. But they all come out pretty much the same. The saber seems to come outta the crotch area, the hips seperates from the knee's, the feet get all deformed and likewise for arms / hands / shoulders/hips the heads seem to be fine. And i acutally got the hands lookin pretty secure once. But im sure if i can get past this weighting problem, I can continue onto some real models.

Hi Sithlord-II,

I Downloaded your Vader model and it's a real good piece of work done by you.

The question I have is not really a modelling question, but as I searched this forum for an answer I stepped over this thread

opened by you.

When I played with your Vader model I recognized, that it plays a sound file "It is useless to resist" (pain50.mp3) as your health goes below 45 or something. Now I wanted to do a similar thing with a default model, such as the reborn model, but couldnt find how you binded it into the game.

So what I actually wanted to do is going into a duel game and any time my health goes below 45 send a chat message that everybody can see or a tell_target message automatically, not by binding a key.

This is more or less a fun thing, but as you are the reason that lets me search through a part of the forum I would never have entered else, I hope you can help me with that :p

Archived