Home

Mapping Theory: NODRAW vs CAULK

RichDiesal

• 9 months later...

I have a caulk theory question. I searched for caulk and theory and found this thread, so I hope it’s ok that I’m posting here even though I’m not talking about nodraw.

DISCLAIMER: The following scenario is just for illustration, so don’t ask why I would want a blank room with one square block in the center hehe.

SCENARIO: I have a cube shaped room, 960x960x960. In the center is a cube detail brush that is 128x128x128. The detail brush is textured on all sides and caulked on the bottom.

QUESTION: Would it be better to split the floor up into nine pieces (or five) and caulk the piece that is directly under the detail brush, OR just let the whole surface of the floor be textured? I’ve heard over and over to caulk EVERYTHING you are not going to see in-game, however wouldn’t splitting the floor up cause the engine to treat the pieces as more triangles?

Please share your thoughts and/or theories (or questions if I didn’t make this understandable.)

In your case I would definitely refrain from splitting up the floor.

The ammont of extra tris you are creating will never outweigh any possible (and small) "overdraw" gain.

Other cases may be different, though. :p

Archived