Home

Getting queasy playing Jedi Outcast

fudrom

Ok, serious topic, so anyone who wants to write some smart aleck remark can go to hell. Has anyone felt anything like a queasy feeling playing this game? I love the game but sometimes my gut says, "Whoa, I'm gonna hurl!" Anyway, probably the strangest thread in this entire forum but just want to know if I'm alone out there. Thanks!

you may have your resolution set to high which can lower your framerate if you have an old graphics card. i used to get headaches playin wolfenstein because of that and they went away when i lowered the resolution.

lumpy

It's happened to me in various games. In Jedi Outcast it was mostly in the levels before you get your lightsaber. For some reason once I switched to third person it got better. Usually after a half hour I would feel the need to vomit. Lowering the resolution or any of the other video settings didn't seem to help. This happens with most FPS I play, which is usually why I avoid them.

• 2 weeks later...

Oy Vay!

LOL! I say this all the time and diffrent forums. Im not a doctor(although at this point i should be).

Below is my transcript of what ive posted in the past:

This is one subject which should not be avoided.

Ive seen people posting that they get dizzy or have headaches or eye strain. We all have the ability to have a seizure but it lyies dormant until something sets it off. Please take what i am about to say seriously. I dont find it funny.

I myself have been playing since Atari, i had my first seizure while playing Turok for N-64 in Disco mode. And right before i had it i was dizzy and had a headache.

I had my second one while playing i believe it was TM4 for PSX(Of course who wouldnt have gottin' sick with that game!). Before i had it i had some eye strain.

Now i have seizures in my sleep sometimes. Most kids and adults think you have one and thats it nothing big. But the first time my brain was damaged a little. The second won did more damage. And third one has caused my vision to be weird. I am really sensitive to light and i get very sick very easily while in the sunlight. My life s*cks and its not fun. I am going to the doctor all the time. <b> It takes YEARS for the brain to heal.</b>

I complain of the same symptoms you guys do. My first one was not caused from anything i did. I had been playing for 20 minutes and had 9 hours of sleep. I had ate and everything. Nothing to make my body less vulnerable.

<B>If you have these symtoms you should stop IMEDIATLY and save it or pause it. Take a break for at least 1 hour. Or youll be sorry you didnt. At worst if every time you play it dont play the game anymore.</B> Anyways on to symptoms:

(1)Headache that doesnt go away while playing game.

(2) Eye strain that doesnt go away while playing game.

(3) Dizzy or pukey.

<b>How to avoid a seizure:</b>

(1) Eat dont go without eating for more then 5-6 hours while playing a game.

(2) Dont play a game for more then 7-8 hours a day.

(3) Dont keep playing even if your think your better. The symptom might not be there but it doesnt mean its totaly gone.

(4) Have ALOT of sleep before playing a game for a period of time.

(5) take break every Hour (Like it says)

(6) Dont sit to close to the TV. It makes your brain and eyes aggrevated.

(7) Dont have your TV Really bright.

<B>My study.</B>

While some of you think i am a sensless poster or think i do nothing but play games your wrong. I do studys on seizures now. I didnt even know what one was and i didnt even think id ever have one. I always thought id get sick because it was something else and not the game. If you want to be sure tell you doctor you want a EEG . I think it might be ERG. Tell him its the test that involves flashing lights.

<b>Very Important thing to know, the side effects of a seizure:</b>

You get put on a medicine that you might have to take your whole life. You have to get blood drawn every month to check your levels. You have to get countless test done every year. You get Dye put in through your arm or through your head. You cant do alot of things with your friends. Its very painful with these side effects. And heres the <B>most important thing.</b>

DEATH OR A COMA FOREVER. Whether its your first seizure or your 10th youll be really sensitive to what you can play. Having another one is 50% more likley once you have your first.. If you have one you can go into a coma for years. At worst you can die from falling or slamming into thing when your shaking. I already have a fractured nose and on my first one i lost ALOT of blood. i MEAN alot.

Also after about 10+ of them you go into a coma or die automatically. Your brain is so damaged it wont ever repair and shuts down. If your lucky enough youll just end up mentally retarded. But heres another bad thing the pills you take shut down your liver eventually which means you die.

Anything can cause a seizure. Not jsut games. But games are the main factors.

In case your wondering i am a lucky person. I almost went into a come on the Second one. And i also have a Do Not Revive order for if i have another one. I dont want to live like this it isnt worth it. Im dying anyways because of the pills. And my next one might throw me into a coma my Doctor says.

<B>So please dont take these symptoms lightly or seizures lightly.</b>

Actually i do.

Besides it costing $1000's of dollars a year for the test and doctor bills . It has a price on your parents and siblings. Its very depressing and most people cant even talk about it. 18% Of kids in the U.S. know they have seizures. 37% of kids in the U.S. dont even know they have them. ANd do you know why?

Memory Loss. If you have one youll lose your memory from 1 hour before you had all the way until your in the hospital and all poked up with needles. My parents and my cousin told me about my first one. But eventually you do get most of it back and you remeber the details.

Even though i do swear(Not alot) i feel bad. When i had the first one i woke up for about 30 seconds right after i had it and there were medics all over me trying to get me on the board they strap you to. I called the names i didnt know id ever say. I fought back and hurt one of them. All i seen was a blur . It was chaotic and i was scared. Its the worst thing ive done to someone.

While people thinks swearing is ok and fighting is ok. You feel very very very upset when you relaize what you did to the medics who were there to help you. I went to the Station where the medics came from and apologized. The saud not to worry people always react like that when they dont know whats going on. I still get upset when i think of what i did.

I could go on and on about seizures and stuff. If you have any questions ask away!

DJ OUTCAST

Pause it i know what it is like to what to keep playing till i get to a save point but after having one ive disciplined myself into pausing it no matter what.

Other thing is dont just pause it turn off the TV and walk away for about 30 minutes. Then come back ONLY IF YOUR FEELING BETTER(ALthough i recommend you save as son as you can and play it again the next day).

But if the game makes you sick EVERY SONGLE TIME get rid of it. I played time splitters and i loved that game but it made me sick every time so i got rid of it. Its not worth it.

If you have a PC buy a Tinted thing that fits on the screen. Try to find something Tinted that fits on TVs. Turning down the brightness doesnt really make a diffrence although it helps.

In case anyone is wondering what kind of things set one off.

For me its a certain frequency of flashing and sometimes frame rates.

bUT THERES 1000's of things that could set one off.

Its not really a sign of a seziure but it can cause one. PLaying games for more then 2 Hours is bad i found out. YOU ALWAYS SHOULD TAKE BREAKS.

You get headaches from various things but usualy in a game any of the symptoms mean your brain is overloaded with pattersn and images and flashing and so much more. It could throw you into one.

Taking pills might make the headache go away but it just basically numbs your brain . Its still overloading.

As for your second question there are diffrent types of seziures. Mine are just under Severe (yes there are worse).

Some people just shake a little and dont realize it and some just collapse and shake alot for minutes. There more severe ones might cause you to...this is gross.... bite your tongue. And your teeth clench (Which is really bad when your tongue is inbetween.

The worst type of seizure causes you to have them almost every day.

If you think youve had / or your having them you shoudl tell your doctor what you were doing when it started , what happened, how much sleep and so on.

If you guys want to see more info go to yahoo.com and type

<b> Epilepsy Foundation</b> . They have more info on it regarding video games.

Since i posted that last time about a year ago. I got rid of the do not revive order. And also dont take my medicine and have gone with natural approaches. So it isnt that bad. But i still cant do anything thats alot of fun. I work at Six Flags and cant even ride the rides. Not from a roller coaster to a tilt'a'whirl.

I would like to point out though not every headache and queasy feeling you get means "OH MY GOD im going to have a seizure!". But if it keeps happening because you arent following the rules. It eventually will (in some people) cause the seizure activity to come out of its dormit state!

Archived