Home

Saber Models?

Aaron Halcyon

I use Gmax. This is what I did, and I'll asume that you know all about .pk3's and how to pack/unpack them...

I created a new saber model, merged it with the tags from the original model (to ensure they'll end up at the right place), and saved it in the right folder (models\weapons2\saber). Then I applied the material (a .jpg in the right folder) to the model, and gave it a planar map using unwrap UVW.

I then exported it as a .md3 file, opened that in Md3View, exported it as a .glm file and zipped it all (except the .gmax file) in to a .pk3 file.

Works fine, except the pesky transparacy problem (see earlier posts), but I think I know what went wrong. Yesterday, I browsed through the help files and found a section that basicly said:

"Oh, by the way. If you forget to choose this and that option, hidden way down on an obscure list only available when you first create your object, the program will **** your mother, **** your ***, and make sure your model won't work with anything!"

I'll try re-modelling the saber W-I-T-H those options tomorrow ;)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should neer stress about release dates. Especially those on a forum. You r not being paid. Also releaseing shody quality goods just to make a release date kinda does more harm than good.

So moral do not rush under any reasons than your own.

Good luk with the model

look forward to it

So, did you solve that transparency issue? I'm using 3dsmax 4.2, and i have modeled leia's blaster, jango's blaster, and several saber hilts, all without any major problems, once i learned what i was doing.

then...i did boba fett's blaster, and for some reason, after trying several ways of altering it, the damn thing keeps coming out partially transparent. I keep getting the inside of the rifle, as opposed to the outside textures. It looks fine in both 3dsmax and md3/glm viewers. I have yet to be able to solve this, or even figure out what is causing it.

Examples of the problem:

http://www.sphosting.com/megalomania/shot0001.jpg

http://www.sphosting.com/megalomania/shot0000.jpg

If you or anyone else who knows the solution could contact me at

MessiahErebus@hotmail.com

i would be very greatful

Well, you have what I had! I'm using Gmax myself, so this might not help, but what the h*ll...

I managed to get rid of the problem when I noticed that I hadn't selected "create mapping coordinates" or something like that. In Gmax, it's a choise at the bottom of the stack when you first create an object (a cylinder in my case). I couldn't find a way to select once the object was converted into an editable mesh, so I simply re-made the whole saber. This time I made sure it was mapping the coordinates, and I refrained from converting the object, I just gave it an edit mesh modifier on top of the object, and later an unwrap UVW modifier on top of that...

I don't know if this info is usable in 3ds max, but it worked for me. Anyway, I should be done with the textures in a couple of days.:) Started on the basic handle textures yesterday.

Later...

In 3DS Max you need to check your normals and make sure that they are all facing out. The options for this are in the face options within edit/editable mesh. This was the big feature that NPherno's md3 compiler had that has finally been done within the new pop n fresh md3 exporter for Max 3 and 4.

Originally posted by VentGala

It's all done now! Check your mailbox often within the next 24 hours, cause I'll start sending it out now.

Since I haven't yet got it, could you re-send it because my account was almost full this morning, could bounce... sorry.

Something I nvr asked, is it broken or whole?

ventgala,

great job on the maul saber hilt. i have'nt tried it in first person, but this is the best saber hilt out (whenever you release it to the public). now, if only someone can crack the code to where you and other bots can have different types of sabers.

Archived