Home

Baby's First Steps: The Ice Cave

RelFexive

Heh. No no, I have *loads* of waypoints all around the big "8 & /\". About 60 or so. Most of them the computer adds in itself because distconnect and visconnect are set to one.

What they do is run around the route in roughly numerical order; when two bots encounter each other (or a bot finds me) they tend to exchange a few blows and continue on around the route to the actual exclusion of fighting, which is kind of pointless.

Is there a way to solve this? Or is my routing just plain rubbish?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, JediPunk, if you give me an e-mail I'll do so.

Grets, I'll get to it now. Coming via my normal e-mail, since it's too big for Hotmail.

Anyone else?

And don't forget, testing means mention in the readme!

(like anyone notices....)

Just played it.

It's a great arena, bigger than it looks from the screenshots.

I liked the desann-icle too, and those things on the floor in the fire area(magazines?).

However(this is where the critisism starts), I did notice one area open to the void.

It's after the slippery cave, and it has those two skiff things, the ceiling is open.

You may want to close that.

I also noticed one area had the dreaded sparklies.

Starting from the slippery slide thing entrance, there are the two ways to go.

Down the, I beleive the right one, when it gets near to the main area, there's some sparklies.

Also, (this is the worst part) I added a bot, and the fps took a direct hit to main reactor.

It fell down to the 20s!

I think my system is quite good(not the best, but it's a good one), so you might want to fix this.

The lowest part was in the main cave.

Have you made any brushes detail?

Used caulk?

Try this, you can't release it with the horrible fps.

Other than that, great level:thumbsup:!

:emperor: I shall rule the galaxy.

Heh. The things in the shrine, the 'magazines', are just my way of putting in signatures. The Peackeepers symbol from Farscape like my avatar, and the Coyote for my 'mapping company' logo.

Hey, gotta have a mapping company :)

The freaky sky, yeah, JediPunk mentioned that too. I'll have a look tomorrow and see what's up with that. It was alright before; I may have accidentally erased part of the sky!

As for the FPS drop, I'll have to have a real good look at that. I have caulked all over the place, but maybe not enough. Obviously I'll have to make all the lamps and stuff in the shrine 'detail', something I've neglected to do.

Hey, I'm new at this lark.

The Big Room is the only place to worry about, really, as most of the action is supposed to occur there. 'Detailing' stuff should help, hopefully.

"I'll be back!"

Okay, the sky is basically due to the fact that the texture/shader I was using was not in the standard assets pk3. It was in a demo.pk3. Yet it appears in the shader files that come with JKRadient, so I thought it was a standard texture/shader combo.

I've changed it for another one now, which should solve that problem.

I've done my best to caulk every outer surface. Short of just putting caulk on every object and going through and texturing only what can actually be seen, that's the best I can do.

As for detailing everything: just what exactly do you mean by everything?

And another thing: how do you know when something has been made detail? I've tried it and nothing seems to happen, visually at least.

Is is supposed to change colour? Is it a property you can see somewhere?

Okay, nix that; just found 'view detail' on the view menu. I can make them go away thus determining what is 'detail' and what is not.

Hmmmm. Scary. Just caulked as I said and detailed a few things and it dropped the compile time from ~17 mins to just over 4. Makes a big difference I guess :)

Ah. Thanks for that.

Well, nice short compile time now. I would not have believed detailing stuff would make so much of a difference had I not seen it. Once I pick a good sky (the stars at night, perhaps?) and have a bit of a run around myself, as addressing the bits JediPunk did not like (go here for pictures, I don't think he'll mind), I'll let you see v2.

By the way, do you see any problem with the way those short bits of corridor look, Grets? They're more angular than the rest, it's just that I wanted a change from all the the patch meshes. They look sort of dug out rather than natural, which was the intention. Maybe those bits got sealed up at one point and 'they' had to cut new ways through?

Heh. Amateurs, eh? :)

We'll have to see what effect detailing everything has to that terrible FPS.

As for the coyote: well, as I said before, everyone needs a mapping company, and the dodgy sounding 'Coyote Enterprises' is mine. Why 'Coyote'? It's a complicated but long-standing thing. It was either that or a jackal.

Originally posted by RelFexive

as addressing the bits JediPunk did not like (go here for pictures, I don't think he'll mind), I'll let you see v2.

LOL, I will mind if everyone uses up my bandwidth ;). I'm not really supossed to use my site for that stuff but, oh well, helpin someone out. :)

Release this thing... I wanna play it... This is the map that im gonna use on my server. All you need is a bunch of penguin bots... Thatd be hilarious

Jedi are not soldiers of war.. We are the keepers of the peace :syoda:

Archived