Home

The Announcement

Guest Darth Crater

Guest wizzywig

The quote of the day:

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

PHILIP K. DICK

--wiz

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest theahnfahn

*I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.

Albert Einstein

And my favorite of his quotes:

Without deep reflection one knows from daily life that one exists for other people.

Guest wizzywig

Yes! Dueling Einstein quotes! Here's another:

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

- Albert Einstein

--wiz

Guest Ikhnaton

Haathi!

Now there is a name I haven't seen in a while! Trinity told me before she left that she missed you.

*waves hand*

I was never here...

Guest Ikhnaton

Haathi, check the Cantina for the "Fond Farewell" thread. You might have to go back farther than 5 days.

Technically, I'm not supposed to be here either...

*waves hand*

You didn't see me.

Guest wizzywig

Haathi! Hi! Long time no rhyme!

And Ike (who is here but not really here)--

"Who was that masked man?"

"That feller? Why, that was the Lone Ikhnaton."

And now, for the quote of the day:

"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."

--Albert Einstein

--wizzywig

Hey Wiz, have you checked out my alien thread in the Cantina yet?

I'm trying to start a discussion, but only Beastmaster has commented on the topic so far.

If you see anything that needs saying, for whatever side, things could get interesting.

------------------

"There cannot be any 'story' without a fall - all stories are ultimately about the fall - at least not for human minds as we know them and have them."

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Guest wizzywig

TheAhnFahn--

I didn't think much of it at the time you posted it, but that one Einstein quote you cited has started to stick in my craw and I want to ask you about it. Here's the quote:

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.

Albert Einstein

To what degree does this quote reflect your own views?

Why shouldn't a just and loving God reward good and punish evil? The thought of a Hitler or a pair of Columbine killers languishing in hell for a few thousand millennia (at least!) is rather a good idea, from where I'm sitting. A God who would arrange for cosmic justice to take place does not strike me as nothing but "a reflection of human frailty." A God who would let evil go unpunished would be a monster, IMO.

Fact is, the God revealed by the Anthropic Principle strikes me as being awesome beyond imagining (too bad Einstein didn't live to see the Anthropic evidence--I would have enjoyed getting his opinion on the matter).

As for his claim that the idea that "the individual survives the death of his body" is the thought of "feeble souls" filled with "fear or ridiculous egotisms" is both absurd and insulting. I mean, what kind of ridiculous ego does it take to say a thing like that. Get over it, Al.

And the idea that human beings are nothing more than temporarily animated arrangements of dead matter has been scientifically dispelled to my satisfaction.

What is your opinion of that quote?

IMO, it is one of the feebler, stupider pronouncements of an otherwise rational and often wise man. Here are a couple of Einstein statements that I think represent more typically Einsteinian wisdom:

I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details.

A good many of those thoughts are revealed in the Anthropic evidence. And, quite candidly, many more pointed and specific thoughts of God are to be found in the Bible.

Einstein also opined:

The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility.

That is more true than even Einstein realized. The universe is comprehensible because it was designed by a Mind that wishes to be comprehended. The universe is an artifact of a cosmic intelligence. It is a message to us, and the signature at the bottom of that message is perfectly legible.

Einstein, brilliant as he was, missed it. But that message and that signature are there all the same.

--wizzywig

• 1 month later...
Guest wizzywig

ONLY FOUR PARACHUTES

An airplane was about to crash, and there were 5 passengers left, but only 4 parachutes.

The first passenger, Bill Clinton, said, "I am President of the United States, and I have a great responsibility, being the leader of a major superpower," so he takes the first parachute and jumps out of the plane.

The second passenger said, "I'm Antoine Walker, one of the best NBA Basketball players, and the Boston Celtics need me, so I can't afford to die," so he takes the second parachute and leaves the plane.

The third passenger, Hillary Clinton, said, "I am the wife of the President of the United States, a soon-to-be New York Senator, and I am the smartest woman in the world," so she takes the third parachute and exits the plane.

The fourth passenger, Pope John Paul the Second, says to the fifth passenger, a 10 year old boy scout, "I am old and frail and I don't have many years left so as a Christian gesture and good deed, I will sacrifice my life and let you take the last parachute."

The boy scout said, "It's OK, there's a parachute left for you. The world's smartest woman took my backpack."

--da pumpkin smile.gif

Guest theahnfahn

Actually, nearly everyone comes back at one point or another. That's why I've never left! I may not visit for a few days or even a week, but I can assure you I'll always keep the same name and will never try to hide my return smile.gif

------------------

And there he is. The reigning champion of the Boonta Classic, and the crowd favorite-TheAhnFahn

Guest lightbulba

Hey! you are all retards with no life.

what is he trying to do? if only i could get inside this guy's head...i'd probably strangle the neurons to shreds, one by one. yet, that isn't the point. or maybe it is. what the hell, i don't care anymore.

------------------

merchant_sm.jpg

[This message has been edited by lightbulba (edited March 25, 2000).]

Guest Jedi-Rillus

* walks in* hi

anyone in here besides me like Obi-Wan Kenobi as their favorite character and/or thinks that Ewan did a good job in his role as the Young Obi-Wan in Ep 1?

Guest Alba Wan Kenobi

i think obi-wan is the best. He MADE Star Wars

------------------

"Being Jedi isn't an easy task"

Guest Jedi-Rillus

Not to sound crazy or anything but I like Obi-Wan so much that he's my idal ( did i spell that right?) as a young Jedi. I can't say he has the best personality though (j/k).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ikhnaton

Originally posted by Ikhnaton:

hey, i'm just doing my part to help restore the former glory of JK wink.gif

anyone noticed the surge in memberships lately and the surge of threads posted?

coincidence? I think not wink.gif

Archived