Home

Lightsaber faults

Thyme

I love a lot of this game, but....

Fighting with lightsabers is too frustrating, and it's the thing I like the most.

That backstab crud is too effective and so that's all people are doing. PULL somebody off there feet, turn back to them, stab... Now I'm bored. This doesn't seem to be what a saber battle should be like. Plus, because it's a swing, it hits you even when you're not behind the guy! Make it a STAB, and only effective to people directly behind you on their feet! This should be a minor, lesser used move, not the most widely killing move of the game! Or make a move from the ground that will counter the backmove. If someone knocks you down and the turns their back they should still be quite vulnerable, I'm a Jedi for crying out loud, not an old lady who's fallne and can't get up.

Blocking. People constantly block everything I throw at them even when they're not facing me and fighting other people! I think you should only be able to block what you see, and only if you are not striking or your strike interferes with their strike. I get tired of hacking at somone who plays in strong mode and they deflect everything even when it's on their back and they are swinging at someone else. You say strong mode leaves you more open at the beginning and end of the swing, but I haven't seen it.

Saber accuracy. I get hit a lot when it would be impossible to hit me... a stong forward lunge leaves the guy with his saber in the ground, yet when I approach to hit his "vulnerable" back it still takes me out!!! IMPOSSIBLE!

I just want to feel more in control of the saber movement. I feel like I'm just running and hitting attack and hoping it finds an opening, while doing my best to avoid the backstab (I'll never use it cuz it's cheap and lame). Sometimes I'm hitting attack and nothing even happens. Saber play is obviously skewed since everyone on servers is running around in strong mode, using cheap backstabs, blocking attacks with their backs, or you're a fast or medium user getting your butt kicked.

Strong saber. You make all the moves in Strong too deadly, yet most the stuff you describe in the book for medium doesn't even work. I have not been able to successfully do the jumping froward slash down on one person yet... You say strong is best for one on one, yet I see it dominating against 3 or 4 enemies...

All of this means I can play for about half an hour until I get frustrated with all the cheapness and inconsistencies. Every great once in a while I find a guy who just wants to fight straight up without abusing the games faults, but it's rare. Please fix this game, I love the idea of it but am frustrated by everyone exploiting it's faults.

Sorry boba fett c3po and donkey, I meant to say "No ass-fighter comments please." but forgot. Please continue to jump around to different threads now, throwing in lame comments while contributing nothing. U R KEWL!

Artife X - Thank you. That's exactly why I posted, so I could get info like this in reply. Good page. I clearly need practice, now I've got the material to practice with.

TexRoadKill - Every time I configure Force Powers, I never see the ABSORB skill to put points into... can you (or somebody) give more info on this. My biggest peeve is that annoying Pull-turn-backstab crap!!!

It really is practice. I spent a long time getting good under v1.02, and I was initially pissed off to the Nth degree over the changes in the 1.03 patch. However, once you learn what works and what doesn't, it all becomes much easier. It just takes a great deal of dedication and willingness to get the snot beaten out of you for a long time before you get really good (sometimes I do the snot beatings, sometimes I don't :> )

Oddly enough, I now think the two most effective styles are red and yellow. Red has the ability to break past a parrying saber and still deal damage (the simple overhead slash will often do enough to slaughter somone who wasn't expecting it), DFA is heavily neutered, but if timed right still gets the odd kill (but mostly I land on people's heads. Go figure.) If I'm facing a very maneuverable opponent I will either use red to score damage regardless of blocking (and keep them at arm's length), or yellow to speed in, take a swipe and back out again (while they are swinging their saber). It's practice, that's all. Absorb 3 counters the pull/splatter moves, and I think the extended duration on absorb makes that a feasible combat option now. 9 times out of 10 if I've pulled someone over I'll just red overhead them as they get up, it's just as damaging - I save the back sweeps for gangs.

If you see me online, I go by the same nick btw, feel free to give me a shout, since I'm more than willing to try and pass on tips I can.

PS: That yellow jump move is a B**** to get right, I still have trouble with it myself (so I don't try and use it now, but I know how to counter it)

The yellow jump move i find to be my favorite,doesent work too well in mobs because everyone is strafing around,but in 1 on 1 games it can be quite useful,and is very hard to spam,i can do it about 50% of the time now,and it looks cool too.It can totally win the match if executed with skill and presision.

just so u know i only play duels as i dont find FFA as much fun...

but anyways...

backstab is annoying but what are u dont only going for ppls backs? they do have a side dont they? use saber throw @ there backs if uwant to go for that. use ur feet jump on there heads and slash down...dont be so boxed in with ur un imagitive mind!

Also bs red is the best i hate it, it maybe strong but its slow u get know were against someone who is good with the blue stength (me :))

i always use blue, i love it, u move so fast, u have so much control, and if some1 is going for ur back and u dont want to backstab, ur spin around to there back and hack away then spin back to there front :) ARRHH BLUE OWNS!!!!

anyways i think the saber atm rocks...yes backstab could be weaker but then how do u learn other ways to combat the lameness of ppl using it??? same with lighting and grib all those bastards who use that, u just got to learn how to get around it!

also u need to play a hell of a lot more if u can hit some1 in the back as u are saying!

sorry bout the spelling :p

Archived