Home

New Mod, looking to see if people are interested.

muffo

Okay guys, ive been thinking...

I am currently cotemplating createing a new Mod for JK2 that i think the engine is perfectly suited for, and hopefully wouldn't even be all that difficult (relitively)

What is my idea you cry?!

I will tell you....

<begin holding breath in anticipation>

A medievil style of JK2 gameplay.

Why medievil and how would it work you ask?

I shall answer...

Medievil is cool.

thats the first part, now how would it work...

Character classes would be available, My current ideas are for either 3 or 4 classes, theese being...

Fighter, Archer, Druid/cleric/healer type (maybe), Wizard.

theese would be akin to the light and dark jedi style choices.

Then depending on class you choose skills (aka. force powers) these define you're skills (duhh) and you're weapons/equipment/spells.

Example: Johhny chooses fighter with level 3 Longsword (this gives him a longsword), level 2 shield (gives him a shield), Level 3 health (gives him increased health) etc.

Now skills would be seperate depending on class (fighters with bows are unavailable etc.) this means that the only way to GET weapons are to be skilled with them.

I think this should not be AS difficult as many mods as the framework is allready there (change sabers and thier styles to swords, and modify damage. turn force powers into spells, heavily modify weapons to allow bows, etc.)

If i can get enough suport and a team together i will create this mod, but i cant do it alone, so...

I need:

Model makers.

Mappers.

Game Editors.

The whole deal.

Plus any idea's for gametypes,skills, etc.

and anybody who can do any part of the game making process.

Initially i would hope to get atleast a single class made (probably the fighter) and if necessary, release a beta with just the mod, the fighter and use modified JK2 maps, just to get feedback as soon as possible.

Anybody who has feedback or wants in please email r2fat2@hotmail.com and incluse a suitable subject on the email so i know what you are talking about, and if applying to join up, include what you can do.

Thanks!

To let you know, generally you have to wait maybe two weeks before anyone really responds.

As for me, if it turns into anything approaching all of the other RPG's with those character classes, then I wouldn't want to even play it, much less help out with the mod.

I'm personally waiting for the code to be released (I program for my profession).

Overall, I like the sound of this idea. But, I agree with Iceplode - I think you would want to avoid getting too RPG'y - i.e. over-excessive stat number-crunching or big, intricate level advancement designs etc.

Saying that - looking at what you've written, it doesn't sound mega-RPG'ish to me - so I reakon your probably on the right track. And I've always thought that the FPS and the RPG game types have never really been properly melded together effectively yet (Actually - Deus Ex did a damn fine job thinking about it. Ok, it's not been done much I should say...!)

So, in general, I like the idea, but you'll just have to be careful to strike the correct balance between twitch-finger play and depth of character development.

Can't help you out I'm afraid - I'm busy with Strike Force - but I wish you luck with it.

Yeah, i agree about the too RPG style stuff.

What i was more about is just a 'tweaking' of force powers generally.

No stat points (str, dex, etc.) just characters and "skills" to go with them.

the "skills" are just force powers renamed basicaly, same format with level 1, 2 and 3 with similar points structures that give you different skills/spells and efficiency with them.

Also this would be mostly a multi game, IF enough people got into it single might be considered, but just multi for now.

Also iceplode, if you would like to help out, yu're support would be VERY appreciated.

:)

With all due respect, I would not be too interested in such a mod or expansion. The big reason I play Jedi Outcast is because I dig the Light Sabers, the Force, and the whole idea of a Sci-Fi updating of the whole classic knights and magic myth. So, it's pure retrogress for me to make it a game of swords of steel and castles. See?

However, if you'er into that, ID really seems into bringing back their older game franchises of late with Doom and Wolfenstein, so perhaps Heretic isn't too far off.

Take it easy,

- DT

Archived