Home

do waypoints work in 3 dimensions?

patchx

if your stairs are huge, you should prefer putting some waypoints or even combat points directly on the stairs and not behind them, dont know if it works

in a diffuse way i remember levels like the doomgiver ship, where stormtroopes walked up the stairs to catch you on the bridge

so waypoints should work, but there is a chance, that raven has used navgoals and scripts to have properly functioning stormtroopers walking up stairs

Dunno if Raven did any modifications in this area, but in EF NPC's don't use stairs automatically although they indeed see the waypoints/navgoals in 3d (as Uni said). If an NPC sees a navgoal but cannot reach it, it gets stuck. Better to avoid this. You would need to use scripts to move NPC upwards while playing "climbing" animation.

edit:

oops, with stairs I meant ladders.

he has no problem actually climbing the stairs when he wants to the problem is;

the room the stairs are in is a big octogon with stairs running up the inside wall curving with the angle of the room as they go up

the 2nd story is directly above the 1st story with a section cut away at the back of it where the stairs meet it

the jedi npc appears at the 2nd story as u come down an elevator from the 3rd story (which doesnt factor into the equation as it has npc block brush in front of the platform)

if u r on the 2nd story and force push the jedi and he falls down the back stairs into the 1st story and then stay where u are, in the centre of the 2nd story he doesnt walk up the stairs to come and get u, he just tries to jump up and down on th 1st story in an effort to jump through the ceiling into the 2nd story instead of climbing the stairs.

the problem is getting him to actually see the stairs as the way to get to the 2nd story and not just trying to jump up through the ceiling into it

-patch

Try putting really many wp's on the stairs- I had similar problems with my cantina (because of the narrow doors). I've got the bot to at least walk through the cantina by adding on wp after another- felt like playing one of those old beat em ups, hitting the key 30 times a second ;)

So now I've gotten the bots to walk through it, but it still seem to be difficult for them to fight in there.

yup waypoint on the stairs and combat points on the upper landing where he should be heading

he doesnt seem to pay much attention to either though

im starting to think that the NPC_jedi ai is different then the normal shooter guy ai because theyre melee fighters and so the only combat point they would be interested in is the player.

im gonna just use some creative NPC block texturing to keep him from straying into problematic areas

-patch

Archived