Home

Can I play JK2 without the disk in? How?

Red Falcon

I posted this in a nother forums but didnt get quite an accurate response, please help!!!

Please see my subject line, it pretty much is what i need to know. I thought it was simply copying the files from the cd onto the harddrive and then running the installation but it still requires me to have the disk in.

Also, if I want my friend to burn a copy of the CD so he can play it, will we both be able to play the game online at the same time?

Thanks for your help

I don't know where you live, but there is this thing called copyright, you know? In the USA "JKII JO" is protected under the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act). So it's ILLEGAL to copy it. Even for personal use. In the EU its the same, but with a few exceptions.. wich JO doesn't fall under. SO BUY THE GAME and don't ask stupid questions.

What is this post still doing here? Aren't there moderators?

You really should have your friend get the game himself, or you get it for him. To play JKII you NEED the CD, plus when you buy another copy you support Raven and LucasArts and who knows they might make JKIII or a mission pak, *hopes*

I don't know where you live, but there is this thing called copyright, you know? In the USA "JKII JO" is protected under the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act). So it's ILLEGAL to copy it. Even for personal use. In the EU its the same, but with a few exceptions.. wich JO doesn't fall under. SO BUY THE GAME and don't ask stupid questions.

negative - you can burn your own copy of a game for backup, LEGALY. You must :

1.) Own the original Copy of the media

2.) May NOT distribute, sell, or "loan" the copy to ANY one.

3.) If you were to happen sell or dispose the game, you MUST DESTROY THE COPY

To play JKII you NEED the CD,

sorry but NO. The CD only give the game the start up files and it is NEVER used again by the PC. You can D/L files from a site i know.

Sadly, you had to say something dumb like you wanna give a copy to your friend, therefore your not gona get the site from me nor any help. Sorry but look some where else:(

Actually according to the DMCA, it's illegal to copy games for personal use if they have any kind of protection. CIRCUMVENTING ANY COPYRIGHT PROTECTION is illegal whatever the reason. Downloading tools to bypass protection is illegal, distributing tools to bypass protection is illegal, being in possession of tools to bypass protection is illegal. It's illegal to copy or rip music from protected cd even if for personal use. It's an anti-hacking act. In the case of digital data the "fair use" doesn't apply has it would for non digital or non protected copyrighted stuff. The DMCA doesn't apply in Europe but there are other copyrights laws that are essentialy the same, I know it looks like a Microsoft law :). Don't start saying But... I... Maybe... etc... it's like this, sorry.

IF (and only IF) it's not protected you can make copies for personal use.

If you want to know more about DMCA, go to their website and download the pdf. Or read the Decss cases or the US vs Elcomsoft case.

Yes, nano is right. You can't bypass protection whatever the use. That's what I meant. And in the case of Decss, wich was created to remove protection on DVD to be able to watch them on linux system. It is illegal, even if you own the damn DVD. (in short it is illegal to watch dvds on linux systems for now, sad but true) In the case of JO, if the protection is the CD check, it is illegal to bypass it. (using no-cd cracks, hacks, whatever) So, inform yourself before posting misleading information man.

The only thing you can hack is the rights protection. So if JO had a registration thing you can crack that for personal use or fair use. That is, only if you do it alone and don't distribute it or post how to do it or don't download tools to do it. It's confusing, but it's like this.

Very nice thread, but I am amazed that it hasn't been locked. Not only for the subject, but mainly "BECAUSE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GENERAL EDITING!!!!!!!!!"

firstly, the game has some kind of "protection" which causes an error in multiplayer gaming if you are not using a CD-ROM (or a fake cdrom. there is software to fake a CD drive in windows. and you can play JK2 with it.) secondly, yes, the game WILL work online if you just burn a copy for a friend. sadly, they never implemented a CD Key auth system, which was a bad idea. keys arent infallible but it makes it more difficult, which is the point of all this bull**** protection. there will always be a way to crack it or bypass it, and they know that. and not every game is as secure ad you'd think (Quake3 still has cd key exploits which allow you to play without a key at all but development has ended so hooray for us).

speaking from an Educationl Purpose Only - you could create a virtual disk drive with the necessary PK3 files found on the CD and have it read that like a CD. Its much quicker than CD load since it'll be on the hard drive in another partition ;)

• 3 weeks later...

If I may add... there was once a small but great game developing company that made incredible releases. One great release was a game called System Shock 2. In 1999 it was considered one of the best of that year. Sales soared for the first couple of months but suddenly expected revenues were not reached. Everyone concerned was completely baffled. Especially since the reviews the game got were incredible.

System Shock was the talk of '99 for first person shooters along with Half Life and a select few others. What happened?... I'll tell you.

The reason System Shock 2 failed, although by all intents and purposes it shouldn't have, is because it was also one of the most illegaly copied games since 3D acceleration was introduced into the gaming world.

The small company I'm talking about is Looking Glass Studios. They're now gone... closed down because they were robbed by ignorant people not realizing the damage that's done when you copy a legally protected piece of software. It's counterfeiting and it's wrong... period.

I was looking so much forward for a third release only to be disappointed when that happened to them. All those talented people losing their jobs...

Buy the games guys. If you want a friend to have it too, lend them the money if you want them to have it so bad. But don't rip-off the people that put in so much time and hard work to give us hours of entertainment. Thanks.

Actually, Looking Glass died not due to piracy - though that did play a part in their small lack of funds, but no more so than it does for any design studio - but rather, because of a bad deal. During the weeks prior to LG's demise, EIDOS and Looking Glass had been in intense negotiations concerning EIDOS possibly purchasing LGS and thus giving the design studio virtually an unlimited amount of funding. EIDOS pulled out and decided not to buy out Looking Glass, and consequently the studio was forced to claim bankruptcy and close their doors.

True, the very reason for the negotiations was because of their lack of cash in the pocket, but this had little to do with piracy and more to do with LG's "slow" design process. While other companies would release at least one or two titles per year while they worked on their 'big' one, LG instead focused entirely on one or two games and finished few other projects during the years it took to design them. They created wonderful games (mmm, Thief, Thief 2, System Shock 2 was also pretty good) because of the effort and attention to detail they put in to every one of them, but the gaming industry is a cruel thing and you simply cannot survive in it without a steady flow of products.

I don't support piracy, it's not a good thing at all, though I do have some exceptions. Websites hosting illegal copies of games, for example, are really quite terrible. On the other hand, copying a game for a close friend is something I probably would do no matter how much I loved the developer, or the publisher. I wouldn't have thought so two or three years ago when the pricing for games was acceptable, but it's totally out of control now.

Three years ago, a game which sold for $30.00 (American) or less could make a reasonable profit and usually did. Today, the average budget for a game hasn't really changed, yet prices for games are almost double, ranging between fifty to sixty dollars a piece. I almost coughed up a lung when I saw the price tag on JK2, a game which was only in solid development for a little over a year (and thus logically had a smaller budget than average). I'm all for supporting the developers, but not when their publishers put unnecessarily bloated pricetags on the games.

And err, back to the thread's original topic, yes, you can. Try Google.com to find what you're looking for. If you in actuality pirated the game (as most folks around here seem to think whenever the words "no CD" are spoken), shame on you, but I doubt that that's the case. I myself usually use such 'patches' to take the CD checks out of my games, because I like to keep the CD safe in a case rather than shorten its lifetime while I play it for 48937659347689 hours in one sitting. That, and it's a pain to have to switch discs every three minutes because I play so many different games in a day.

Anyhoo, taking the CD check out of the jk2mp.exe shouldn't affect MP at all.. though there is a 'crack' around which uses a custom launcher to bypass the CD, and I've heard that it does have issues if you wish to play with others who aren't using the same program.

look all this about loving developers and poor LGS going out of buisness(pirated software had nothing to do) is really sweet but the point is pirated copies offers some balance in the industry...my point : lests say all game/data/music piracy stops in the next month...so the only way to get a game/data/music cd is to buy it.well people it will be ok but in a few months the industry will go mad because of the control it has.britney will sell her records for 1000$ and people who want to hear them will pay (no piracy means no napster/audio galaxy...)and lets say id goes mad and charges 500$ for doom3?i surely know a bunch of people who will go and buy it.and its because of those people the industry will not lower prices and will keep on going.i mean if id wanted at least 500000$out of doom3 then with todays prices needed 10000 copies.there would be much more but lets say that only 500000$ are needed to cover the game.so if they charge for it 500$ surely there would be 1000 dic..male organs for reproduction that would buy it (doom fanatics,rich kiddies)

the franchise(speling?) of the future isnt in the game itself but in multiplayer concept and other stuff (already u need to subscribe to a server for mmorpgs) that will happed to future action games too.in the future id will let u dl q4 but u will need to pay to play it online at least massivly and with a really good ping.and a last thing...a friend of mine from the net claims to be in team deviance(u know the right?) i dont believe him ofcourse but he once said smthing that made sence...hardware and OS companies actually give the crackers tools to crack games and then contracts with game companies to make higher spec games...so the industry witch actually is one large organism makes up for the lost money....why did u think the playstation had such a big succes?

i really want to hear your opinions on this but not the i hate u DIE kind...

and sorry for my spelling mistakes to any1 who gets pissed off.

-SINISTER_EVIL

Originally posted by ReIIiK

thx for the quote bond, fact of the Matter is I know of the no-cd patches but they don't work, at least for online play.

good thing I 1 CD rom and 1 CD-RW

JK-II in one

SoF II in the other

SOFII! THAT GAME SO ROCKS!!!

um yeah piratings bad. don't do it kids.

volrath

My opinion once you buy/purchase indivdual software, music it is yours to do with how you see fit excluding: "selling copies for a personal profit".

Most MP games come with 10 user per disc LAN license example: NASCAR 2002 this game is fun to play at a LAN but it is not a game I would purchase. I still have it on my system the only time I play it is at LAN parties.

i do get no-cd keys, but i buy all the games i play all the time, and i do get some warez, but mostly cause demo's dont exist that are true to gameplay. i like no-cd patches cause well, its darn annoying to swap cd's all the time.

just my 2.31652 cents.

if its a good game buy it, if not, dont bother having a ware of it

Archived