Home

Coding Question

WD_Rage

I spent a few months learning the Q3 codebase when JK2 was announced, but never really built anything. Now that I am editing JK2, I have a question:

What should be editing for the server and what should be editing for the client?

I know the server pretty much gets every edit, but what about the client?

i don t really understand the question(( but correct me if i m wrong ) you wan t to know what you can edit on the client side and on the server side ?

well on the client side you can modify all the drawings user interface and stuff....

i m actually working on the sabers wich are mostly (for the drawing ....)client side .....

Thanks, but I know those things already (sorry, my question wasn't phrased to well).

First let me say I understand a server-side only mod. Basically, it's just an edited version of the code an the needed info is accquired by the user during connection.

What I don't understand is the use of having both a client-side and server-side mod. I remember having to download the client-side mod for RA for Q3. Why was there a different download for server and client?

Correct me if I'm wrong:

My current understanding is this. Any editing of pre-existing code is generally a server-side mod.

Any addition (like a new gun or new force power) must have separate client/server downloads. Right? Based upon the answer, I may have another question.

It depends, weapons can be added and modified and be server-side still if it uses data the player has, if it uses new models, ect. Those models will need to be downloaded (usually autodownloaded when the user connects to a mod server). Otherwise, it'll be server side, I wrote many weapon modifications to Quake 1 awhiles back, they used custom models, ect. In order for the player to join the server, he had to download the models first, nothing else. :)

Normally it would not have to be seperate downloads, as the game dll is used for servers. But can still be present in the package.

I spent a few months learning the Q3 codebase when JK2 was announced

Dude, u are saying u spend a FEW MONTHS learning the code and u dont even understand the differences between clientside and serverside code, then u are either a liar or insanely stupid.

Anyway, because i'm such a goodhearted person ;-) i'll explain it for you.

cgame = everything clientside, the clientside = is almost everything graphics related u can think off. It handles your HUD, the shaders, sounds, model parsing and ingame text crap.

game = everything serverside, the server tells the clients that for example it's sabers only with no force powers. All the weaponscode/damagecode etc is server side in Q3, in JK2 most of that code is also made for both game modules (cgame and game).

This should get you started u silly padawan :p

He posted himself, he spend a few MONTHS learning q3code wich is sim. to jk2code, one of the first things u learn in q3coding is the diff between client and serverside code and if he truely learned it then the above question is a bit stupid and if he doesn't know q3coding then he should just say so, don't u think so. Then u don't get any weird comments.

and please stay on TOPIC, thank you

Originally posted by Subject452

He posted himself, he spend a few MONTHS learning q3code wich is sim. to jk2code, one of the first things u learn in q3coding is the diff between client and serverside code and if he truely learned it then the above question is a bit stupid and if he doesn't know q3coding then he should just say so, don't u think so. Then u don't get any weird comments.

and please stay on TOPIC, thank you

You're the one who got them off-topic, with your flame.

Anyway, not all people have the same learning process / learning curve. So you can't automatically assume that one person learned that first off. He may have just tinkered with the code, didn't go into any serious modifications.

Originally posted by Subject452

Dude, u are saying u spend a FEW MONTHS learning the code and u dont even understand the differences between clientside and serverside code, then u are either a liar or insanely stupid.

Anyway, because i'm such a goodhearted person ;-) i'll explain it for you.

cgame = everything clientside, the clientside = is almost everything graphics related u can think off. It handles your HUD, the shaders, sounds, model parsing and ingame text crap.

game = everything serverside, the server tells the clients that for example it's sabers only with no force powers. All the weaponscode/damagecode etc is server side in Q3, in JK2 most of that code is also made for both game modules (cgame and game).

This should get you started u silly padawan :p

Could it be that the tutorials I was using as a study aid said nothing about the server/client relationship? Forgive my ignorance on a subject. I came for answers, not for an opinion.

normal, ty for the response. It pretty much answered my question.

Archived