Home

Weapon.dat question

Raptorz922

Make a folder on your C: drive called <ext_data>. So the path looks like this...

C:\ext_data

Now extract the weapons.dat file from the assests0.pk3 with winzip into the <ext_data> folder. Edit the new extracted copy with Notepad or whatever you like, and save it.

Open winzip again and create a new archive, and name it whatever you want. Put it anywhere but in the <ext_data> folder. Now Add the edited weapons.dat file, with the "include subfolders/path/directory/tree/etc. option (different programs use different conventions) AND make sure the "use wildcards" or "include hidden and system files" option is selected. (Sorry, I use PowerArchiver instead of Winzip, and get them confused.)

<EDIT> Oh yeah, don't go higher than "normal" with the compression setting. For my own stuff, I just leave compression off. Personal choice.

Bottom line... make a new ZIP file that includes weapons.dat and the path name of the folder it's in. After that's done, go find the file where you saved it with Windows Explorer and rename the file from <yourname>.zip to <yourname>.pk3. Windows will display an alert, but do it anyway. Now place this pk3 file in your <JK2 Location>/Gamedata/base folder.

Voila... a new weapons.dat that overwrites the data loaded from the original on startup, without altering the original file. To go back to the original version, just remove your pk3 from the folder.

I hope this was clear and helps you.

;)

Hmmm... I don't know. I rarely use Winzip, so I'm not as familiar with the interface. I use a program called PowerArchiver, which is much more flexible than Winzip, and easier to use. It also allows you to open a pk3, dbl-click open a file, edit it and save it, without having to extract the file. You can get the latest version at http://www.powerarchiver.com , and it's total freeware with no ads/nags.

I can't tell you what's up with the wildcards being greyed out. I know in PowerArchiver that if I type the name of the file when saving it as a *.pk3 file, then the compression options are greyed out. If I just save it as a standard ZIP file, then they are selectable. I save all files as a ZIP, with normal compression, include hidden/system files, and add relative folder. Then after it's compiled, I close the archive, find it with Windows Explorer, and manually rename it to a pk3 file.

If you don't want to get PowerArchiver, maybe someone who knows will help.

Good luck.

Hey there...

So I just discovered that the latest version of Powerarchiver has moved to a 30 day shareware program. The previous version 6.0 was freeware, and is what I've been using for a long time. I tried upgrading to the latest version, and read that it cost $20. Fortunately I keep all of the executables for software I install, and was able to uninstall the new version and reinstall the freeware one. If you can find version 6.0 (PowerArchiver 2000), it's almost exactly the same as the new one, except the interface is just a little spiffier. Sorry about that...

So, if you're not into paying and can't find version 6.0, you might dig Pakscape, which is a simple freeware utility for viewing/editing PK3 files. Here's a link to the download at EFfiles.com...

http://www.eliteforcefiles.com/file.info?1327

It's pretty simple, but is specifically made for Pak files - and is free.

:)

Archived