Home

My mod solution to the pull/backstab spam

NyghtWalker

Ok, I've been thinking about how to make some changes that would render this particular combo alot less lethal and therefore alot less spammed. I toyed with the idea of nerfing the damage as others "raven included" have done and realized that's no solution at all, just a stop gap. What I'am trying to do instead is to slightly increase the time a player CAN get to their feet when double tapping jump or attack while on the ground. Not being terribly familiar with C++ though (I use C mostly) I'am a bit hesitant to just start hacking away at things so in my searching of the files I've come across

else if (Q_stricmp(cmd, "debugKnockMeDown") == 0)

{

ent->client->ps.forceHandExtend = HANDEXTEND_KNOCKDOWN;

ent->client->ps.forceDodgeAnim = 0;

if (trap_Argc() > 1)

{

ent->client->ps.forceHandExtendTime = level.time + 1100;

ent->client->ps.quickerGetup = qfalse;

}

else

{

ent->client->ps.forceHandExtendTime = level.time + 700;

ent->client->ps.quickerGetup = qtrue;

}

}

My question is this, is this the place I'am looking for to make the changes I described and if so how much of an alteration would you recommend to the numbers there? If this isnt the right place for the changes a pointer in the correct direction would be much appreciated.

After tinkering around with it a bit I finally got it to work like I wanted. Followed the instructions that came with the SDK and loaded it up on my server to test out with a few friends. Once we were in-game though I realized to my dismay that not only did my mod include the ever so slight change I wanted, it included all the 1.0.3a nerfs. Personally I feel that the 1.0.3 stuff is nerfed more than enough and I dont want it more so, so that leaves me at a bit of a dilema. Do I have to go through and change all of the damage ratings, ammo usage, force power affects just to get a simple mod that isnt a major alteration for 1.0.3?

well I disagree there. I feel that the knockdowns are a rather integral part of fighting both with guns and sabers however I wouldnt be against toning it down a little bit. Making it a bit more difficult to knock someone down. But I feel that my work towards increasing the recovery speed from a knockdown would be a step in the right direction toward reducing the spam of that particular combo set. Nerfing the damage is not and never has been a true solution to problems of this nature because when there's damage reduction it means the fights last longer. In a 1v1 duel this might be a good thing depending on how you look at it. Saber damage being reduced in FFA and CTF/CTY situations though is completely and totally unacceptable as with the 1.0.3 patch it's already made it to the point that if you're like me and trying to WIN you have to resort to these cheap (lame) tactics or guns just to be able to keep up in score.

So in closing lemme just add that in the end I plan on bringing saber damage back up close to it's 1.0.2 level without reducing anymore damage or force powers. As I work through my ideas I'll try to find *reliable* counters for the various "problems" as I see em.

Archived