Home

3d Studio Max question

Painreliever

I have been working improving my modeling skills in max lately and was wondering...

I have been working on a Darth Vader model, I am not really trying to compete with anyone elses, just trying to learn, eventually it will go into my Sithlords Mod, but at any rate, I began modeling his head and ended up with two seperate parts one that began as a cyllinder(his upper helmet) and another that began as a box(his face). Now I wanted to close the gaps between the two so that when you look up at Vader's face perhaps while kneeling you wouldn't see through it. I went to vertex selection mode and changed the snap level to vertex, and moved the vertices until they snapped the facial vertices to the helmet vertices. This closed the gap but now when I rotate the model in the perspective window it has some visual glitches like the face mask portion is sticking through the helmet or something. Is this normal or what do I need to do to prevent this from happening? I don't want this to happen in game so I would like to fix it now.

Do I need to weld them or something, attach the two parts, or what?

Here is a picture of what I talking about, you can see a thicker edge where the face mask is distorting the helmet above the eyebrow level.

http://www.painreliever.org/images/vader_distort.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can get busy finishing it. The mod website will be located at http://www.painreleiver.org soon, for now it is at http://www27.brinkster.com/painreliever/ It only has like 17MB of bandwidth so some of you may not see it if too many people hit it in one day.

Thanks again for the help!

Painreliever

It looks like you didn't merge the verticies or that they didn't snap right. kinda hard to tell from the pic.

What you can do is weld the verticies then go back and detach the face again. Not sure if it helps but if you have any other shots mabe use photoshop or something to circle where your problem is. Also a neet trick is to take the verticies that are suppsed to be in the same spot and use the scale tool and scale down.

It looks more like you somehow flipped the normals for those faces. If the faces exist in the first place, just select them and flip the normals.

The reason you can't see them, is that you can only see faces from one side (unless they have a two sided texture aplied to them). You can see this by making a standard box, and positioning your view in the box: you won't see the faces.

I think you snapped but did not weld? you might want to right click on the word perspective in the 3d view port and go to "edged faces" This will let you see if there is a rouge poly hanging out there. If you have several verts in the same place with faces attached you can weld them all together and get rid of that.

V!G

Archived