6 members have voted

1. 1. What was the First Assault Rifle?

• USA-M16
    • Soviet Union-AK-47
    • Germany-MP40
    • USA-M1 Garand
    • Izrael-Uzi
    • Great Britain-L85 A1

The gatling gun took thirty min to mount on a tripod. Its not a rifle. Its not an assault rifle.

with large capacity magazines

There weren't that many guns with large capacity magazines before WWII. Most MGs of WWI like the Maxim were belt fed with no ammo box. Most rifles had 7-10rd magazines and all were bolt-action.

The worlds first automatic weapon was a machine gun.

Firstly, large capacity is vague. I'd say that a DE has a small capacity magazine because other handguns have much larger clips. But in 1895, the DE would have a large capacity compared to the common six-shooter. It's all relative.

Main Entry: [3]rifle

Function: noun

Date: 1770

1 a : a shoulder weapon with a rifled bore b : a rifled artillery piece

2 : plural : soldiers armed with rifles

Technically the M1A2 is a huge rifle. I don't know if the Gatling gun had a rifled barrel or not though.

Vagueness of definitions and terms aside, the AK-47 wasn't the first assault rifle. The Thompson was, easily, both in definition and usage. Legally SMGs count as a assault weapons.

I'm not sure if the Thompson was rifled, but I think it might have been.

A rifle isn't defined by length of the barrel. It's defined by the rifling. A smoothbore 105mm gun on a M1 isn't a rifle yet the rifled 105mm on the M1A2 is. (I don't know what versions of the M1 have what kind of bore or diameter, i just know that hte straight up M1 is different than the A1 and A2).

Archived