Home

Can MP code be scripted to create SP type level?

Akshara

So I'm curious...

Is it possible to create a SP type adventure using the MP code?

Is this what COOP does?

Basically I'm wondering if an MP game, using bots instead of NPCs, can be scripted like an SP game, with objectives, puzzles, ROQs, targets, spawnable entities, etc. And if it were loaded as a MP mod and played alone with the "Create Server" command, wouldn't it have the same effect as playing an SP level?

Instead of hoping to modify the never-to-be-released SP source code, couldn't totally new SP mods be scripted from the ground up using the MP engine? I mean, the community has been given just about all the tools and sources except for the actual SP code. But isn't everything we would find in the SP code a compilation/edit/arrangement of the files and sources released within the two packages from Raven?

I apologize if these seem like silly questions. But I'm just trying to get some clarity on why the SP source code is important to creating new "SP type" levels. Is it only necessary for modifying the existing SP mission and levels, and then playing it under SP mode? Is there a big difference between the SP and MP code overall, besides the obvious server/client related stuff?

I'll really appreciate any clarity on this. I've been going through and editing the SP scripts some, and it just made me wonder about adding scripts to MP maps, since MP is being supported for the mod community.

Akshara

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, a bunch of friends and i wanted to make a SP scenario with 3 different players u could choose, each with different force abilities. But since the SP code is unavailable, we'll have to use bots and pk3 file shuffling to get the character selection working.

We could make it co-op, since the 3 characters are based on us (the selfish bastards we are), but i cant be arsed coding it....i'm just ****ting myself about the ICARUS coding i'll have to do! <sigh>

Archived