Home

Binds/Macros. Your opinion?

ShockV1.89

I'm curious as to the opinions of people here regarding binds and macros, and other pre-set combinations. I'm seeing more and more of them in servers, and although they seem to be especially effective, are they really all that fair?

One could argue that since it is an option that is availible to everyone, it is fair. And I suppose that would be true as well, which is why I still dont yet have a position on this issue.

What do you all think? Please, if you dont like someone elses opinion, do not flame them.

ShockV1.89

The console and all the good and bad sides it brings with it have been the trademark of id software games (or rather game engines) since Quake. How ever to make things fair between all players I have to say that you should only use the menu and nothing more. Console is there because it's useful for developers and because it makes the game more flexible. How ever unless you have some kind of hardware / software problem that requires console for solving it you don't really need the console at all.

Basically, although you can create scripts, they are never fair and I consider them cheating. Remember what happened to CS before you say it's only fair to do it because it's possible to do it with in the game.

Part of this problem could be solved by the people who make games. When they add feature that needs multiple key presses people will create scripts to make it easier to use those. Two good examples would be kicking and winning saber locks. I think that kicking should be executed with a single key press, and that it should be more risky to do it in general. After all you're against a person with a lightsaber. The way saberlocks are solved is truly pure idiocy. Not only does it stress the mouse, it also doesn't take any skill to win it. Even some kind of of random mechanism would be better. I often just let the other guy win because I don't feel like killing my mouse nor my finger by tapping as fast as I can, that's just dumb.

There :).

Archived