Home

Voice Chat in future versions?

The Blind Jedi

Would you like to see integrated voice chat in a future JK2 patch?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see integrated voice chat in a future JK2 patch?

• Yes
    • No
    • What are you TALKING about?
    • More hack, less smack.

It seems that many of the cool FPS games are implementing code for in-game voice chat. SOF II currently (seems to) have a command line switch to allow easy access to Roger Wilco servers, and they claim to have plans for in-game voice chat in a future patch. How about voice chat in JK2? Has this been considered? Personally, I can't stop and read messages in a game. How about being able to talk to our opponents? maybe a game-type specific ability? For example:

Duel: Voice Chat between only duelers for the duration of their duel, while those spectating in queue can chat among themselves w/o interfering with the combatants.

CTF/CTY/Team FFA: Straight forward. Team chat. Perhaps a modifier to toggle to chat with everyone, or with a player under the target reticle.

FFA: Chat with the person under your target reticle, or the person with whom you're engaged in a challenge.

If the voice server is integrated into the game server, or if there could be the option for an off-system voice server.

For duel or challenge chats, a peer or peer link can be established, to ease burden on the server.

If anyone wonders why I spend to much time thinking about this, take a look at my profile.

Raven, if you're listening, I'm willing to help out in any way I can to make "game conferencing" a reality. Heck, there's the possibility of working this with sound design as well. (i.e. EAX HD on chats) I'm full of lots of great prospects for implementing this! If anyone else cares for a private conversation of this, PM or email me.

What do others in the community think? Would anyone else like to see integrated voice chats?

No need:

http://www.teamspeak.net/teamspeak/

It's free and works better than any in-game voice chat function I've seen.

Mulitple channels, multiple binds (whisper to particular people or channels, etc), password protection, admin rights, ability to kick, servers, etc.

There is no way an in-game voice chat will have all those features and not tax the server/clients.

The best possible voice chat for mp pc games is the Microsoft Sidewinder Game Voice. It uses next to no system resources and its extremely clear. I used it with alot of friends and my brothers when I took my clan to the top of the world stats in Unreal Tournament.

Its better than any free voice chat service that can be found on the net. Its direct IP connection and up to 64 people can be on at the same time. More than enough for any mp pc game out there.

Actually the GV takes up way more resources - software wise - and a lot more bandwidth.

You can do more with teamspeak, it's a small program, and free. Give teamspeak a try - you may find it much clearer than the GV - I did. Teamspeak useless very little bandwidth.

The GV's (Gamevoice's) hardware puck is useless for gaming - people need stuff binded on the keyboard.

Archived