Home

MilkShape Tutorial[s] in the works

V!G

This week I plan to take a break from working on some models and write 1-2 tutorials for Milkshape users. I plan to cover the basics of milkshape how to use it, and get comfortable with it. I also plan how to make a custom light saber and get into jedi knight2.

Just wanted to let the new milkshape users know that are trying to make a custom saber as thier first 3D model ever, there is some help on the way :) Most tutorials assume you know something about the 3D program your working with. The first one will not, I plan to explain all the tools you will need for a saber and how to use them. Then in the second tutorial I will guide you thru how to build a low poly light saber, skin it, tag it & get it in game.

It's not for charater models, just sabers. I am almost done with the first one and should start the seond one sometime this week.

V!G

i need help making the skin i make apply to the file, what should i do to the .qc file for the md3 to make it load correctly

*update* in SP it says it must be multiples of 2 (the saber.jpg), and it is even number, i think thats what it means, you knowwhat i am asking about?*/update*

Originally posted by Madjai

what is the advantage of MS over 3dsmax/gmax, is it just the import/export options?

Ease of use and it has a low learning curve. Its a good starter program if your new to 3D modeling.

Originally posted by Delqua

i need help making the skin i make apply to the file, what should i do to the .qc file for the md3 to make it load correctly

*update* in SP it says it must be multiples of 2 (the saber.jpg), and it is even number, i think thats what it means, you knowwhat i am asking about?*/update*

Yes it does need to be sized correctly that is what it means by multiples of 2. Skins are sized in pixels the most common sizes are listed below.

32 Used for small details such as buttons swithces

64 lights, buttons and small details

128 Arms legs, hands boots,

256 one of the most common sizes for torsos, heads, light sabers

512 med detail heads, torsos, lightsabers, weapons

1024 For when you want lots of little detail or your entire skin in one file. reserved for player models and level textures.

You can mix and match the sizes to fit what you need. Such as 256x256, or 128x512.

Also it need to be saved as TGA format and jpg. I don't have my jedi knight2 folder in front of me cuz I am at work, It will all be in the tutorial later this week. I hope you can hold on until then?

V!G

you export it as a md3, but you need to make the control file first. (.qc file of the same name) and be sure to edit it to say 'frames 1 1'

then export it as an md3 and open it in md3view, and export as glm... easy huh? its easier than it sounds.

You will need the tags in place and then export to md3 format. then use md3view to import the md3 you just made, and export it to GLM. If it's just a saber replacement then you should be good to go providing you have your tags in the right place, shape, and name.

I will get into all of this in detail in the milkshape saber tutorial I am doing :) should have it wrapped up later this week.

V!G

Archived